Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ns7 View Post
    I disagree, Duke could have won if they rebounded better. Tennessee got way too many extra shots off of extra shots. And they never made Tennessee feel the loss of their PG. Tennessee was way to efficient on offense in the second half.
    They beat us on the boards. The stat sheet says not by a whole lot, but that's where we get our margin of error and overcome our offensive shortcoming. We did not get second chance opportunities as we often have had.

Also, there is a lot of criticism of the officiating, and I for one agree that it was pretty sub-par, but that's not the reason why we lost. We got badly exposed on the offensive end by their ball pressure, so credit to them. We lost a good handful of possessions off of bad turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    I had bad feelings when Duke trailed at halftime. I have a very sneaky suspicion we'll have a chance to even the score in Knoxville next December.
    That won’t exactly be even.

5 thoughts…

1. The mantra was limit turnovers, control the boards, focus on defense and limit turnovers (for emphasis). I think it’s fair to say UT was better on all accounts. Hats off to the Vols, they won a very physical game. They played tough ball, and Duke wasn’t able to compete. They will be a tough out moving forward.

2. I’ll say it again. Turnovers…

3. I was really proud of Proctor for keeping them in the game offensively in the 2nd. It just wasn’t enough. I kept hoping Whitehead would show up, but he vanished in the 2nd. In his defense, I didn’t see Duke doing anything to get him open. But the Vols clearly knew to get physical with Flip. He did his best, but it kind of was like men against boys.

4. The zone helped a bit at first. But once the Vols got used to it, they took advantage again. Good adjustment by Barnes to go to Nkamhoua. He took them home.

5. Lively was very good on defense, but on the O side I would have liked to see him fight for more boards. UT made it tough. And I understand him not scoring, UT’s interior defense was so solid… Injuries are part of the game. But I think Mitchell would have helped greatly. Not sure if Duke would have won, but I think it might have been different. His length and toughness was missed defenively. I liked Grandison this year for what he was, but he wasn't Mitchell.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Not sure I get all the breast-beating about losing Mitchell. Sure, an injury hurts ... but believe me, having seen them all year long, Tennessee is much more hurt by losing Ziegler (it will, in all probability, keep them from seriously contending for the championship). It's all part of the game. Each team needed to impose stifling defensive pressure in this game, and the Vols were just better at it.
    They've had almost 3 weeks to learn to play without Ziegler. This was literally our first game the entire season without Mark Mitchell. He's the 2nd best defender on the team and he might have made a big difference against Nkhamuoa in the 2nd half. He's also the guy who comes up with clutch rebounds and loose balls, something else we sorely lacked in this loss.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Good on ya, sir. Can’t spork, but hope someone will for me.
    See, as this team grew this season, so have I!!

Sigh…

I’m so sad that I will never see this version of the Blue Devils again. I really enjoyed watching this team grow this season. Thanks to all the players and coaches!

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Why would a fan need to use an excuse?
    Really? It’s pretty common among my friend group to talk basketball. I’ll easily say something like “yeah it stinks but Mark Mitchell plays and Duke more than likely takes a W.”

Quote Originally Posted by knicknut View Post
    Because if they didn't the complaint would be that they were unprepared, come on.

All the credit to Tennessee. But I can't decide if I'm going to be more pissed at the selection committee for openly admitting they didn't factor the last couple of games to give us the #5 KenPom team in the second round, and with the refs who let an SEC team play football. Por que no los dos?

I'm just hoping we see more than Ryan of our top 8 back next year. It's really tough to grow to love an entirely new set of guys each year. The fact that every program faces this now with the portal is little solace.
    The committee didn’t say that, openly or otherwise.

Such a sad way to end this season. I became very attached to this team and these players. They were such a close-knit and likable group.

Such unfortunate timing with Mitchell’s injury. I think he was one of the few who hadn’t missed a game all season. Reminds me of other seasons with bad injury luck.

Jon’s first season has to be considered a resounding success. ACC tournament champs! And we improved so much during the season and appeared to be peaking at the right time.

I was surprised we weren’t more prepared for their physicality. I thought maybe Jai Lucas would help there, since he was used to playing them every year.

I really hate these games that are more like football. Add to that the inconsistent officiating - we were called for touch fouls; they were allowed to draw blood with no calls. And so many borderline flagrants by them. We were just unable to adjust to their physical style coupled with the uneven officiating.

And we really had no depth today with Mitchell’s injury. I know we all loved Jon’s deep bench early in the season. But as the quality of the competition increased, it was obvious our bench was not going to be much help.

Great season! Sad for our team right now.

Amen
    Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    This is a preemptive post to something that regularly irritates me here.

A bunch of people post things like "Don't blame the refs". And, I generally agree with that point. But what that ends up doing is taking the officiating out of the conversation.

So.

We did not play well. But the way the refs called the game - the amount of physical contact that went uncalled - affected the way we played to our disadvantage.

And it started with the elbow to Flip's face right at the beginning of the game that didn't get called an F1. It set the tone. And Tennessee benefitted.

So, yeah, we didn't play well and didn't really adjust to TN's defense. BUT. "Don't blame the refs" or "Bad calls tend to even out" or "We got the benefit of the calls" or any other cliche that regularly appears is a post-game analysis won't cut it.

We lost. We played poorly. But we also were disadvantaged by the officials allowing a huge amount of uncalled physical play.

Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Oh Tennessee helped themselves out. Made 3s. Played big on the boards. My point was Duke needed a tightly called game. And didn't get it. Also Roach could have had 6 or 7 fouls. He did foul a lot.
    Then Duke had no shot, and I don't buy that argument. You have to play different styles in the tournament and adjust your game. That's why it's so difficult to win a title.

Duke has plenty of big guys who can go hard for the ball, but for whatever reason they couldn't get it done. It's a great learning opportunity moving forward for the players and the staff.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    The 10 game winning streak was magical. The way Duke played in many of those wins had me convinced Duke had the team to make a final four run this season. The coaching job of Coach Jon Scheyer and staff to make this team elite defensively was impressive. Duke swept UNC-CH and won the ACCT. And 27 games. I’ll take it.

Duke turned it over too much today. Tennessee played bully ball. Flip look concussed. It was evident Coach Rick Barbes had a gameplan to knock the crap out of Flip. Losing Mitchell hurt. Tennessee hit shots from 3. And they took care of the ball.
    Agree with this post. Fifteen turnovers Roach not playing that well. Whitehead not stepping up to neutralize the loss of Mitchell. The ball bounced into Tennessee’s hands in the second half. Duke was not sharp but that was a result of bully ball.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Really? It’s pretty common among my friend group to talk basketball. I’ll easily say something like “yeah it stinks but Mark Mitchell plays and Duke more than likely takes a W.”
    I didn’t say not to talk about basketball. I just don’t know why a fan would need an excuse for a game they didn’t participate in. Maybe just “I wish they won, but I had no control over it” should be sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by ns7 View Post
    Then Duke had no shot, and I don't buy that argument. You have to play different styles in the tournament and adjust your game. That's why it's so difficult to win a title.

Duke has plenty of big guys who can go hard for the ball, but for whatever reason they couldn't get it done. It's a great learning opportunity moving forward for the players and the staff.
    I can agree to disagree about basketball. Not turkey though. Turkey is a subpar meat.

Every time I like our bracket draw...we lose. Every. Single. Time.

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    They beat us on the boards. The stat sheet says not by a whole lot, but that's where we get our margin of error and overcome our offensive shortcoming. We did not get second chance opportunities as we often have had.
    Yes, the OR% and TO% are going to show a huge gap when they are reported.

My streaming went down with about five minutes left in the game, so I didn't get to see the bitter end.

Fantastic team, though, and a wonderful season. Two wins over the Cheats. ACC champs.

The last that hurts the most is that if we had somehow been able to survive this game, we might have even been able to make a run all the way to the Final Four. I was so looking forward to playing a Cinderella in MSG. Oh, well.

Congrats to the boys, anyway, for entertaining us all year long and for developing over the course of the year. Glad I am not Flip's insurance company. Sheesh. He's been a punching bag all season long. He may decide to go pro just because he's tired of being beat the hell up all the time. You can't get away with that stuff in the NBA.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Not that Duke was going to win it all this season, but every team has a bad matchup in the field and you hope your team doesn't run into that along the way. That happened today compounded with them playing the offensive game of their lives. That is the bracket nightmare. Now I have to pick a consolation team to pull for. Gonzaga?

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Such a sad way to end this season. I became very attached to this team and these players. They were such a close-knit and likable group.

Such unfortunate timing with Mitchell’s injury. I think he was one of the few who hadn’t missed a game all season. Reminds me of other seasons with bad injury luck.

Jon’s first season has to be considered a resounding success. ACC tournament champs! And we improved so much during the season and appeared to be peaking at the right time.

I was surprised we weren’t more prepared for their physicality. I thought maybe Jai Lucas would help there, since he was used to playing them every year.

I really hate these games that are more like football. Add to that the inconsistent officiating - we were called for touch fouls; they were allowed to draw blood with no calls. And so many borderline flagrants by them. We were just unable to adjust to their physical style coupled with the uneven officiating.

And we really had no depth today with Mitchell’s injury. I know we all loved Jon’s deep bench early in the season. But as the quality of the competition increased, it was obvious our bench was not going to be much help.

Great season! Sad for our team right now.
    How exactly do you prepare for the physicality?

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post

Also, there is a lot of criticism of the officiating, and I for one agree that it was pretty sub-par, but that's not the reason why we lost. We got badly exposed on the offensive end by their ball pressure, so credit to them. We lost a good handful of possessions off of bad turnovers.
    Their ball pressure was good because they were getting away with significant contact on every possession. Roach got called for a travel on a play where he clearly got hit 3 times by two different players. Wonder if that impacted the turnover numbers. I could go on.

Can the ref apologists give it a rest for like 10 minutes?