Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBreak View Post
    It feels like TN is a lot like Miami. Quick, athletic team that's very good on defense and forces lots of turnovers. If you don't show up to play, they can speed you up and run up a big lead on you. We can't show up the way we did at Miami. This will be a big test of Coach S's motivational acumen. To make sure we are absolutely laser focused the entire game. And make sure no one else on the team gets food poisoning!
    I have a nagging worry that Roach might start becoming too aggressive. It was easy to run in the lane for layups against ORU, but against TN, there will be a wall to shut him down and potentially lead to quick transition points on the other end. Roach had a bunch of easy floaters yesterday that simply won't be available tomorrow. Where the offense comes in lieu of that is the big question. Making 3's at anything above 35% probably gets the job done.
    Roach has had moments where his vision/decision-making around the rim has been questionable, so i think your nagging worry is justified. Even though he's been very good lately, he got stuffed a few times at the rim in recent games. As long as it only happens once or twice it shouldn't be a big deal, but if he can't figure out a different way to exploit UT's defense it might be problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Roach has had moments where his vision/decision-making around the rim has been questionable, so i think your nagging worry is justified. Even though he's been very good lately, he got stuffed a few times at the rim in recent games. As long as it only happens once or twice it shouldn't be a big deal, but if he can't figure out a different way to exploit UT's defense it might be problematic.
    I don't have data to back this up, but it seems like a lot of the times he has been stuffed at the rim have come late in the shot clock and he was trying to force a shot. If that's the case, I'm fine with that. He was great getting to and finishing at the rim against ORU. I think that was the gameplan. Vanover is long, but he's not very fast and once you get past him, the rim helps protect the ball. It seemed like the idea was that Roach was going to get to the cup because that's where the shots were. He did the same thing against NC State since DJ Burns has similar characteristics - poor lateral quickness/defensive reaction time. According to T-Rank, Roach was 4-6 at the rim, which is pretty good for a PG. Against NC State, he was 6-9 (nice) at the rim. He was 2-5 at the rim against Virginia in the ACC Tournament Title game but hasn't taken as many shots at the rim in other games. I think Roach will most likely pull up for a jumper against Tennessee since that's what they will give him.

My wife is a Vol and I have been waiting for this game for years. While I am ultimately confident in how this game will work out, some nagging doubt has creeped its way into my thought process of late, meaning the last few hours. Yeah we looked good last night versus Oral Roberts, but Tennessee is a legit good team. Can NOT be overconfident in this one. One thing in our favor (🤞&#127997 is that Rick Barnes appears to be a horrible NCAA tournament game coach. He seems like a really good guy and he’s been getting a lot of love on this board, but my favorite fact about him is that he was almost cast in the Monkees when he was younger, apparently was the next choice after Peter Tork. In any event, as everybody here has said: limit our turnovers, get rebounds, hit outside shots. Let’s go Duke! 9F
    ps- in the middle of the season, a house ablout a half a block to my left (east) hung a huge, ugly UNC flag. It tickles me every time I see it thinking about how their season went. In their defense, it’s still flying, and I respect that, even if that’s about the only thing I respect about that “school“

Quote Originally Posted by ns7 View Post
    Someone mentioned last year's Texas Tech team as a comparison, and I think it's a good one. The big difference is that team didn't foul as much as Tennessee does.
    Last year's Texas Tech is who I thought of, also. I don't know man-for-man how they compare, but just the impression of a big, strong, punch-you-in-the-mouth defense that is really difficult to score on and exacts a physical toll at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Just hope we can make them and, as we all know, limit TO's. Our halfcourt D is STOUT, to say the least and it seems as if opponents best scoring opportunities come on buckets in transition or busted plays were the ball gets tipped/batted around and we're out of position.
    Yes...with ZZ injured, their limited offense is that much worse. We have to avoid letting them get easy offense from their defense if we want to win. As you say, no live ball turnovers leading to runouts, limit offensive rebounds which often lead to and-1s and fouls, don't let their defense make us rush shots and then commit dumb over-the-back fouls out of frustration. We must stay composed and take care of the ball. If we both wind up with limited turnovers and play largely half court offense, I am confident we will win.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I don't have data to back this up, but it seems like a lot of the times he (Roach) has been stuffed at the rim have come late in the shot clock and he was trying to force a shot.
    I worry about this with Roach and Dariq tomorrow. Tennessee's length and athleticism, and Roach's skill at getting all the way to the rim, seem fated for a collision. Jeremy is cat quick, but also really small. He doesn't get a lot of calls when he's down among the trees. And, while I am very excited about Dariq's increased confidence with his handles and drives these past few games, Tennessee seems like they'd love for our guards to try and get to the rim. It could be a great day for dump offs to Lively for dunks, but Derek isn't always ready for that pass. I worry about all of the above combining for live ball turnovers where we have a guard and a big trailing the fast break as it goes the other way. Again, if we largely avoid these scenarios, we should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyoung18 View Post
    Barnes is a good respected coach from what I remember.I root for him when I'm not watching Duke.
    I always liked Barnes, especially after he stood up to Dean, but after seeing this video, he became one of my favorites. I am sure lots of coaches would do the same for their players, but I wish we had more videos like this to show the connection and relationship between high-level players and coaches, especially the ones who leave early which many liken to the category of merely business arrangements. Remember, Barnes had moved on from Texas at the time of this video...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nYC4cAnHrs
    Last edited by Billy Dat; 03-17-2023 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidA View Post
    My wife is a Vol and I have been waiting for this game for years. While I am ultimately confident in how this game will work out, some nagging doubt has creeped its way into my thought process of late, meaning the last few hours. Yeah we looked good last night versus Oral Roberts, but Tennessee is a legit good team. Can NOT be overconfident in this one. One thing in our favor (🤞&#127997 is that Rick Barnes appears to be a horrible NCAA tournament game coach.
    Indeed, Barnes’ record is pretty dreadful especially as the higher seed (the Vols’ meltdown against Michigan in the tournament last season was an archetypal Barnes performance). The reporter covering Tennessee for the Athletic seems to feel Barnes is playing with a little bit of house money in this matchup given Ziegler’s injury lowers expectations significantly, and the fact that pundits are mostly picking Duke.

Vols have been a really rough watch since Ziegler went down (not that they were all that great when he was healthy), but I think that could actually work in their favor, in that they don’t really get rattled when things get super ugly and they don’t mind dragging their opponents into the mud with them. Even Virginia, whatever people say about them, are capable of a level of precision and snap to their offensive execution, and the impact our defense has on offenses when we disrupt their execution can be demoralizing.

Tennessee won’t get unnerved if they miss ten shots in a row and turn it over five times if they can do the something similar to us. We’ve struggled when teams are capable of pressuring our guards and being physical with them, and Flip can’t get untracked. I think we’re more versatile now and have more to throw at the Vols to counter their physicality, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a game in the high 40s or low 50s if we can’t make some perimeter shots.

Victory, thy name is Defense

In our last 11 games (i.e. since the debacle in Coral Gables), Duke has allowed an average of only 28 points in the first half 😳

I knew our D had gotten better but...whoa! Odd fact about that 11 game span though is that we gave up the 2nd most first half points (33) to...Louisville. At Cameron 🤣

Anyway, I'm anxious now to see how we do against TN and, I hope, beyond.

It's been my mantra all through the winning streak, so I need to say it again (now for superstition as well as my true feelings). I'm 10-0 posting this so:

Duke wins this game by limiting turnovers, controlling the boards, focusing on defense and limiting turnovers (for emphasis).

May Lively scare the living daylights out of UT and keep working his way up the NBA lottery ladder.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Victory, thy name is Defense

In our last 11 games (i.e. since the debacle in Coral Gables), Duke has allowed an average of only 28 points in the first half 😳

I knew our D had gotten better but...whoa! Odd fact about that 11 game span though is that we gave up the 2nd most first half points (33) to...Louisville. At Cameron 🤣

Anyway, I'm anxious now to see how we do against TN and, I hope, beyond.
    Well, we should have the lucky 3 point bank shots behind us. ORU made 3 of those in the game yesterday. Usually when that happens, I see it as a bad omen. But we overcame ORU and luck yesterday with a great defense.

GoDuke!

Ryan Young Exclusive

https://youtu.be/qEouyu0ahkY

This video was shot before ORU but it was just posted . Fun to see how close the team is
    The Chi Master

Having seen what Livley did in the first round I think, were I Tennessee, that I would try to get physical with him, just overpower him.

That worries me. Any thoughts on if UT could do this and if it might work?

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Having seen what Livley did in the first round I think, were I Tennessee, that I would try to get physical with him, just overpower him.

That worries me. Any thoughts on if UT could do this and if it might work?
    UT has a lot of big bodies to throw at Duke and they send teams to the FT a lot. I could see a situation where Filipowski, Lively, and Young are taking a lot of FTs. Lively doesn't get into foul trouble all that often but anything can happen if the refs are going to have a quick whistle or if they let the players get rough down low.

Quote Originally Posted by chi View Post

This video was shot before ORU but it was just posted . Fun to see how close the team is
    Thanks for sharing that! Man...I've grown to REALLY love this Duke team. Definitely not ready for the season to end just yet!

Rick Barnes and Jon Scheyer

Although Duke, to my knowledge, hasn't played Tennessee since Barnes became head coach, Scheyer and Barnes met in the 2009 NCAA tournament, when Scheyer was coaching Texas. In the final minute, Scheyer made an amazing play to save a ball by hurling it down the court, where Elliot Williams tracked it down. Recap here:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId/294000028

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Although Duke, to my knowledge, hasn't played Tennessee since Barnes became head coach, Scheyer and Barnes met in the 2009 NCAA tournament, when Scheyer was coaching Texas. In the final minute, Scheyer made an amazing play to save a ball by hurling it down the court, where Elliot Williams tracked it down. Recap here:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId/294000028
    Whoa, I didn't realize he had coached before this season!

Quote Originally Posted by chi View Post

Awesome. Our guys just seem like good dudes, normal, and close. Thanks for sharing.

I don't have data to back this up, but it seems like a lot of the times he has been stuffed at the rim have come late in the shot clock and he was trying to force a shot. If that's the case, I'm fine with that. He was great getting to and finishing at the rim against ORU. I think that was the gameplan. Vanover is long, but he's not very fast and once you get past him, the rim helps protect the ball. It seemed like the idea was that Roach was going to get to the cup because that's where the shots were. He did the same thing against NC State since DJ Burns has similar characteristics - poor lateral quickness/defensive reaction time. According to T-Rank, Roach was 4-6 at the rim, which is pretty good for a PG. Against NC State, he was 6-9 (nice) at the rim. He was 2-5 at the rim against Virginia in the ACC Tournament Title game but hasn't taken as many shots at the rim in other games. I think Roach will most likely pull up for a jumper against Tennessee since that's what they will give him.
    A lot of Roach's shots are later in the shot clock as he has a habit of dribbling with not much purpose, perhaps waiting for a screener and then he has to go quickly as the shot clock is running out. I prefer when Proctor is making the play and Roach gets open off the ball.

ooopsss

Whoa, I didn't realize he had coached before this season!
    Ah, never multitask when posting to DBR!

Does anyone have an update on Flip’s health? I know they said the vomiting was the result of nerves but he didn’t seem like himself. If it’s a virus, that could spread like wildfire. 😫

Be prepared for some awful officiating tomorrow. After watching these games today, it’s not clear what an actual foul is.