Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Pitt's season could have been even better if it still had 6'9", 265-pound John Hughley, their best player from last year. I had forgotten about him until his recent transfer portal news, so I Googled for more back story. After a suspension due to criminal theft charges a couple of years ago, he went on leave this year, citing mental health issues. I just saw the first half last night, but Graham looked very frail, unable to finish what should have been easy dunks inside and being dominated on the boards. Hughley's beef would have addressed that issue.
    The team is better this year without him than it was last year with him. I'm not saying that is cause and effect, but it's certainly not clear to me that Pitt would have been a better team with him in the locker room.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    The team is better this year without him than it was last year with him. I'm not saying that is cause and effect, but it's certainly not clear to me that Pitt would have been a better team with him in the locker room.
    I have no idea what sort of issues Hugley is dealing with, but Pitt's success is mostly due to the arrival of Blake Hinson, Greg Elliot, and Nelly Cummings.

Cummings, in particular, is a joy to watch. The guy is undersized and not particularly athletic*, but makes up for it by being highly skilled and extremely savvy. Every time Duke played Pitt, I expected Cummings to somehow bait Proctor into a couple unnecessary fouls.

*For a P6 basketball player.

Federico

Does anyone know Federico's status for tomorrow?

Nice start by Pitt against Iowa State!

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Does anyone know Federico's status for tomorrow?
    Sorry, message not clear. Is Federico the first name of the player in question or is it the last name?
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Pitt still looking very strong. I’d love for Capel to get the W and for the ACC to go 4-1 in this round.

Capel watched Scheyer's D last night and said, "I can do that too!" Now more than 8 minutes gone against Iowa State and the Cyclones have 2 points.

Capel bout to get a really nice new contract at Pitt, I think.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Capel watched Scheyer's D last night and said, "I can do that too!" Now more than 8 minutes gone against Iowa State and the Cyclones have 2 points.

Capel bout to get a really nice new contract at Pitt, I think.
    Pretty ironic considering how things were being viewed before the season. Quite a turnaround. It also shows that performing really well/poorly in a "contract year" has a HUGE impact on both side of the coin. Happy for Capel/Pitt though! Can't be complacent in this game though, need to keep foot on the gas.

A lot of loose balls are going to ISU now. Not sure Pitt can hold on.

Pitt is just so inconsistent. They seem to be doing their best to let Iowa St back in. Playing out of control at times.

Kind of an ugly game, but Pitt up 40-28 with 9:30 to go.

answer

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Sorry, message not clear. Is Federico the first name of the player in question or is it the last name?
    yes, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Pretty ironic considering how things were being viewed before the season. Quite a turnaround. It also shows that performing really well/poorly in a "contract year" has a HUGE impact on both side of the coin. Happy for Capel/Pitt though! Can't be complacent in this game though, need to keep foot on the gas.

This is not Capel's contract year. His contract runs through '26-27. But he clearly was on the hot seat headed into this year.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...0that%20season.

And Pitt leading 50-30 - 4:47 to go.
    Last edited by Hartford Dukie; 03-17-2023 at 05:42 PM.

Both Pitt and Iowa State have made 11 baskets in the game so far. Pitt 11/34 (32.4%) and Iowa State 11/52 (21.2%). Pitt is 18/22 from the free throw line while Iowa St. is 7/14.

Talking

I do my best to banish bad games from my memory, though that UConn-Butler final was impossible to forget in its badness for a tournament final. This Pitt-Iowa State game is about as atrocious as any game I’ve ever watched in terms of pure offensive incompetence in a single elimination game.

(and as I typed this, Pitt got a four point play — as pretty as it gets for this game)

I don’t doubt there’s been worse, I’m glad to have missed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    This is not Capel's contract year. His contract runs through '26-27. But he clearly was on the hot seat headed into this year.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...0that%20season.

And Pitt leading 50-30 - 4:47 to go.
    If I recall, he had a really huge buyout after last season so that was what helped save him. The buyout came down a lot this year so if this was a bad year, they could have much more affordably gotten rid of him. Now they can less affordably give him a raise and an extension.

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post
    I do my best to banish bad games from my memory, though that UConn-Butler final was impossible to forget in its badness for a tournament final. This Pitt-Iowa State game is about as atrocious as any game I’ve ever watched in terms of pure offensive incompetence in a single elimination game.(and as I typed this, Pitt got a four point play — as pretty as it gets for this game)

I don’t doubt there’s been worse, I’m glad to have missed them.

A W is a W by any other name. That which we call a W, by any other word would smell as sweet (thanks, Will). Tomorrow - and certainly next week - the only thing that will be remembered is that Pitt/our coaching tree member, Jeff got at least two Ws in this years tourney. That's damn good. And their D today is damn good. I for one applaud and congratulate Pitt and Jeff.

No apologies should be needed for an 18 point beat down of a 6 seed from the supposed "best conference in the country."

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    A W is a W by any other name. That which we call a W, by any other word would smell as sweet (thanks, Will). Tomorrow - and certainly next week - the only thing that will be remembered is that Pitt/our coaching tree member, Jeff got at least two Ws in this years tourney. That's damn good. And their D today is damn good. I for one applaud and congratulate Pitt and Jeff.

No apologies should be needed for an 18 point beat down of a 6 seed from the supposed "best conference in the country."
    Not asking anyone to apologize for anything. Actually, I’m proud of Pitt for having won two games this week after ending the regular season badly and just barely sneaking in. And to be fair, it was Iowa State who stunk it up far more, with some credit to Pitt’s D to be sure.

I was fine mostly having the game on another screen while watching more entertaining games though.