Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

NCAAW: Duke 89, Iona 49

Duke hosts Iona for its first round matchup this Saturday in Cameron. It's the late game of the pair, so start time is approximately 9:30 pm. ESPN2 has the broadcast.

https://www.ncaa.com/game/6143378
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    NCCAW: Duke v Iona (Sat, Mar 18, ~9:30 pm, ESPN2)

Duke hosts Iona for its first round matchup this Saturday in Cameron. It's the late game of the pair, so start time is approximately 9:30 pm. ESPN2 has the broadcast.

https://www.ncaa.com/game/6143378
    What's a NCCAW? Is it a state tournament for crows?

Obligatory Iona joke follows. There are many variations, but I went with the Sports Illustrated Vault.

During those lean early years, when the coach was introduced at camps and clinics, he would say, "I'm Jim Valvano, Iona College." "The kids would just look at me and tell me I must be the youngest dude in America to own his own college," Valvano says.
    ESPN: Every team in the bracket

Duke Blue Devils

The Blue Devils' one-year turnaround in Kara Lawson's third season in Durham is nothing short of remarkable. They finished 10th in the ACC standings (7-11 in conference play) in 2021-22, and in this season's preseason poll were expected to be only a bit better, coming in seventh. Fast forward a few months, and in arguably the best league in the country, Lawson's squad was the No. 2 seed in the conference tournament and is dancing for the first time since 2018. The Blue Devils (25-6) have done it by emerging as one of the toughest defensive units in the country, spearheaded by the efforts of ACC Defensive Player of the Year Celeste Taylor. Offense isn't their strong suit, though: They barely shoot above 40% from the field, and all of their losses have come when they scored 57 or fewer points. In fact, Duke failed to hit 50 in four of its past six games, including a 58-37 loss to Virginia Tech in the ACC tournament semifinals.
    Iona Gaels

The Gaels enter their second NCAA tournament (and first since 2016) as winners of the MAAC regular-season and tournament crowns, as well as 20 of their past 21 games. With their first 20-win season since 2016, Billi Chambers was named MAAC Coach of the Year as she led her team to a 26-6 record. Juana Camilion added to her trophy case this season as MAAC Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year and tournament MVP, but Ketsia Athias earned headlines for recording the second triple-double in conference postseason history in the championship game versus Manhattan. Earlier this season against Rider, the Gaels set NCAA records for most consecutive 3-pointers made in a game (15) as well as the best 3-point field goal percentage in a game (16-for-18, or 88.9%).
    Awful Announcing: Your 2023 NCAA Women’s Tournament First Four and First Round announcing schedule

#6 Colorado vs #11 Middle Tennessee
    7 PM, ESPNEWS
    Sam Ravech, Kelly Gramlich
    #3 Duke vs #14 Iona
    9:30 PM, ESPN2
    Sam Ravech, Kelly Gramlich
    Last edited by brevity; 03-13-2023 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    What's a NCCAW? Is it a state tournament for crows?

Obligatory Iona joke follows. There are many variations, but I went with the Sports Illustrated Vault.

ESPN: Every team in the bracket

Awful Announcing: Your 2023 NCAA Women’s Tournament First Four and First Round announcing schedule
    Between the men’s and women’s tournaments, there are 24 first and second-round sites. Somebody has to get the short straw. Consider this your incentive to go to the game.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    GoDuke.com's preview of tonight's game:

https://goduke.com/news/2023/3/17/wo...seed-iona.aspx
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

DBR Chat is open!

If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page.

If it's running too fast for you, you can always check out the chat archive to catch up.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Good start except Day-Wilson needs to settle down.

Iona has had a couple of good back-door cuts, which is smart against Duke's pressure defense.

Quick whistles on offensive fouls tonight.

Duke up 22-10 after one. Getting to the rim—and finishing.

Duke brought the whole package tonight, leading 36-12.
    Day-Wilson is still sitting. I hope she can get back in in the 2Q and get her legs.

58% FT, plus-14 on the glass, Iona has 10 turnovers and are heading for serious foul trouble. There could be minutes for everybody tonight.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'll take a 31 point halftime lead any day.

WOW!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

47-16 at the half. Iona looks like a high school team.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    58% FT, plus-14 on the glass, Iona has 10 turnovers and are heading for serious foul trouble. There could be minutes for everybody tonight.
    Duke’s D is again elite. Iona has no idea what to do.

47 points is Duke’s fourth-highest scoring half of the season. The only ones higher came against Charleston Southern and Richmond.

Iona is actually shooting it fairly well (40%)—but they only managed 20 FGA.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    When Kennedy is perfect from the floor, including her layups, the other team is in big trouble. Her two blocks and 5 boards are sweet, too.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    When Kennedy is perfect from the floor, including her layups, the other team is in big trouble. Her two blocks and 5 boards are sweet, too.
    She's playing with confidence and poise, which we often don't see against tougher competition.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    She's playing with confidence and poise, which we often don't see against tougher competition.
    She's two boards away from a double double. Good game to carry over to Monday.

Duke is playing well. Making most lay ups is great to see. Taylor made a couple of 3's. This should carry into Monday night. I still think DeJesus is better than Day-Wilson as a point guard.