Page 9 of 83 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Arizona's PG Kerr Kriisa is entering the transfer portal.
    Scouts describe him as a combination of Steve Kerr and Kristaps Porzingis

With Pettiford going in the portal, that got me thinking about the situation at Kansas. Aren't they expected to get their IARP ruling soon? Might be worth watching the roster there to get a hint. Could be a rough summer in Lawrence between that and the health situation for Self.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    It's a new age of college basketball... you can be one of the best players on one of the best teams in the country and still transfer. There's obviously a lot going on behind the scenes in all of these decisions that we don't know about, but it could very well be the case that Krissa just wants a new environment/experience in his last year (or two) of eligibility. At the risk of jumping on a landmine, if the rumblings of this being Jeremy's last year in Durham come to pass, and that happens via transfer as opposed to the pros, we should keep this somewhat similar situation in mind.
    Jeremy will be one of the best players the portal has ever seen. Hope that he goes, he wont have to play him in the early rounds of the NCAA.

Kansas shot fake cash out of a cannon while Snoop Dogg paraded on stage with strippers, then went on to win the National Title a couple seasons later. I don’t think they’re worried about NCAA punishment.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    This one is a bit relevant to Duke. Arizona's PG Kerr Kriisa is entering the transfer portal.
    Every time I read of him, I can't help but think "That's a perfect Star Wars name".
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

With Pettiford going in the portal, that got me thinking about the situation at Kansas. Aren't they expected to get their IARP ruling soon? Might be worth watching the roster there to get a hint. Could be a rough summer in Lawrence between that and the health situation for Self.
    IIRC, Pettiford is a local kid and played at South Granville over in Creedmoor.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Every time I read of him, I can't help but think "That's a perfect Star Wars name".
    word on the force is he's close with Cal Kestis

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    I like Krissa, and I like the 3 pt shooting, but wow, that fg pctg is low. Worse than Caleb Love!
    Well, not really...

This past season, Krissa shot 37% from 3.
    Love shot 29.9% from 3, which is significantly worse.

I don't know if they compiled Love's percentage on his 3 point shots that appeared reasonable.

I think you were probably referring to Love's overall fg% (37.8%), which was marginally higher than Krissa's 3 point % (37%).

Despite this woeful percentage and history of recurrently bad judgment, Love was UNC's top ranked NBA prospect, clocking in at #97 in their top 100.

Duke players' rankings on that ESPN pre-NBA list: Flip (15), Lively (22), Whitehead (24), Proctor (42), Mitchell (69).

By the way, the top 3 centers on this list are Flip, Lively, and some French guy. Probably not in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Well, not really...

This past season, Krissa shot 37% from 3.
    Love shot 29.9% from 3, which is significantly worse.

I don't know if they compiled Love's percentage on his 3 point shots that appeared reasonable.

I think you were probably referring to Love's overall fg% (37.8%), which was marginally higher than Krissa's 3 point % (37%).

Despite this woeful percentage and history of recurrently bad judgment, Love was UNC's top ranked NBA prospect, clocking in at #97 in their top 100.

Duke players' rankings on that ESPN pre-NBA list: Flip (15), Lively (22), Whitehead (24), Proctor (42), Mitchell (69).

By the way, the top 3 centers on this list are Flip, Lively, and some French guy.
    Sorry, I wasn't clear but that's what I meant- the overall fg pctg. In his case, he's WAY better off behind the line than taking two pointers. Though I guess more accurately, he probably ONLY shoots 3s and is basically not a threat anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Big time name just entered the portal...

Kerr Krissa, the junior PG who drove the engine for Arizona this year, is looking for a new home. He averaged a shade under 10ppg but had a Pac-12 leading 5.1 apg while shooting close to 37% from 3. Everyone in need of a PG is gonna be on him like white on rice!

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/sta...92044879814670
    Perhaps. Arizona fans that I know considered him a pretty big liability on defense and weak link overall, at least in terms of competing with elite opponents.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Perhaps. Arizona fans that I know considered him a pretty big liability on defense and weak link overall, at least in terms of competing with elite opponents.
    Are they happy to see him leave? Serious question. A player always has faults, so are they bummed that he's taken off despite those issues, or do they feel that they'll have better options now and a more complete team?

It's things like those that a coaching staff will look at, too. "We'd love to have your offensive talents, but can't afford what you'd cost us defensively."
    Or they will decide that it's worth it and he's coachable to the point of correction.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Are they happy to see him leave? Serious question. A player always has faults, so are they bummed that he's taken off despite those issues, or do they feel that they'll have better options now and a more complete team?

It's things like those that a coaching staff will look at, too. "We'd love to have your offensive talents, but can't afford what you'd cost us defensively."
    Or they will decide that it's worth it and he's coachable to the point of correction.
    Not sure I'd go quite that far. I think they'd like to keep him but in a more diminished role (i.e. view him as a rotation-caliber player but not a starting PG for a team with championship aspirations). But that's a tough pill for a two-year starter to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Krissa almost went back to Estonia after last season, but came back obviously for another year in Tucson. I suspect that, with Krissa's less-than-dynamic play especially in big games, Tommy Lloyd is ready to hand the keys to rising soph Kylan Boswell, who is a super talented kid who had to play behind Krissa this year. Boswell is a big upgrade in athleticism and shotmaking, and he can't be much worse than Krissa was defensively.

Despite the impending transfer, I think I can still lump Kerr Kriisa with Desmond Hubert and the late Fab Melo in the category "You can guess what college they went to just based on their name". But today I learned it's not a coincidence; according to his team bio, his father really did name him after Steve Kerr.

The female equivalent is Azzi Fudd, named by her mother after Jennifer Azzi. Still scratching my head as to why she went to Connecticut instead of Stanford.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    The female equivalent is Azzi Fudd, named by her mother after Jennifer Azzi. Still scratching my head as to why she went to Connecticut instead of Stanford.
    Must have been those waskally wabbits

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    IIRC, Pettiford is a local kid and played at South Granville over in Creedmoor.
    That is correct - Living in Oxford, my son (who played ball at Oxford JF Webb, named after the father of James Webb of NASA telescope fame) and I got to see him play. Very dynamic player at HS level. Suspect he has not reached his full college potential yet.

A couple of ACC players have hit the transfer portal:

NC State C Ebenezer Dowouna and Clemson F/C Ben Middlebrooks

A couple of ACC players have hit the transfer portal:

NC State C Ebenezer Dowouna and Clemson F/C Ben Middlebrooks
    NC State C Ebenezer Dowouna - 10.9 mins, 1.7 ppg, 1.3 rpg after 3 years in the program
    Clemson F/C Ben Middlebrooks - 11.2 mins, 3.1 ppg, 2.7 rpg after 2 years in the program

Don't see either school being too upset at these defections.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    She went to the Stanford campus and saw that there was something skwewy going on awound there.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Long time lurker, first time poster. Your post made me laugh out loud and decide to finally jump in. As soon as I can figure out how to spork, you'll be my first!!