Page 76 of 83 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 1654
    Duke may not have added players via the portal this year, but Jon did achieve portal success: he kept his own players. The portal works both ways and a team can achieve a net positive result simply by retaining its own players.

Of course, returning 4 starters, keeping talented reserves AND bringing in impact players means that there is not a lot of room for an impact player coming in via the portal. I buy the argument that Duke has some challenges in the portal arena due to its academic standards, and we have seen MI (and maybe Duke) apparently run into these types of issues, but both MBB and FB have brought in players via the portal, so I suspect this year’s results have more to do with the fit between available roles and interest of portal candidates, with only one candidate making it to the official visit stage.
    Carolina delenda est

Sources: Richmond's Tyler Burton plans to enter the transfer portal as a graduate transfer. Averaged 19 PPG and 7.4 RPG last season.

A significant late development in PORTAL KOMBAT.

@JonRothstein official Twitter account.

Um...

I hope RealGM knows something that no one else does. (Udeh profile page shows his "Pre-Draft Team" as Duke and shows Udeh along with the incoming freshmen as members of the Duke 2023-24 roster.)
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    I hope RealGM knows something that no one else does. (Udeh profile page shows his "Pre-Draft Team" as Duke and shows Udeh along with the incoming freshmen as members of the Duke 2023-24 roster.)
    I've never heard of that site but they do get ~ 5 million monthly visits so they have at least a little credibility.

At this point, I'm hoping Young and Reeves improve greatly on defense, but as I've said before, I'm really hoping one or two of: McCain, Foster, Shutt and/or Power shoot the ball well from outside and of course Proctor and Roach do as well. I think Flip, Mitchell, Jeremy and Proctor returning gives us the experience needed to make a deep run in the NCAAT and Duke can win the regular season and the ACCT this season.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Sources: Richmond's Tyler Burton plans to enter the transfer portal as a graduate transfer. Averaged 19 PPG and 7.4 RPG last season.

A significant late development in PORTAL KOMBAT.

@JonRothstein official Twitter account.
    You ought to copyright that.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    You ought to copyright that.
    Jon Rothstein already did, haha.

https://shirtnewus.com/product/frk-c...jon-rothstein/
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    According to RealGM - Caleb Love is going back to UNC

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    According to RealGM - Caleb Love is going back to UNC
    Shut Up! 😁

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    At this point, I'm hoping Young and Reeves improve greatly on defense, but as I've said before, I'm really hoping one or two of: McCain, Foster, Shutt and/or Power shoot the ball well from outside and of course Proctor and Roach do as well. I think Flip, Mitchell, Jeremy and Proctor returning gives us the experience needed to make a deep run in the NCAAT and Duke can win the regular season and the ACCT this season.

GoDuke!
    Power is my candidate for upside best freshman McCain Stewart and Foster will all get PT in November

Are we still a front runner for Udeh or has that ship about ship sailed?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukerulz View Post
    Are we still a front runner for Udeh or has that ship about ship sailed?
    I don't think anyone really knows. At this point, I sure wouldn't be penciling him into a projected lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by 9dukejames View Post
    I don't think anyone really knows. At this point, I sure wouldn't be penciling him into a projected lineup.
    Yeh, it's sort of like with Duke injuries, we don't hear much.

GoDuke!

I have a dumb question about transfer credits - if a player has only done one year at another institution and is having trouble with the new school accepting those credits, why don't they just apply as a new freshman? Yes they lose a year of hard work, but if they are on a fast track to the NBA they are unlikely to graduate anyway, and if they are going to be a four year player many schools have shown that graduation is possible within their 3 years at the new school with summer work, etc. Seems to me that the trade of a year of credits to be at a preferred destination is one I personally might make, but do understand if players see it differently. Would schools allow this?

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I have a dumb question about transfer credits - if a player has only done one year at another institution and is having trouble with the new school accepting those credits, why don't they just apply as a new freshman?
    NCAA rules don't allow that. Your academic progress has to match the number of years you have played.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Andrew Slater, a reputable "insider", is reporting Alabama is now in on Ernest Udeh. It certainly seems like he's now looking at a range of possible suitors, which given the early momentum that he was on the precipice of committing to Duke seems to indicate that both parties are moving on.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Andrew Slater, a reputable "insider", is reporting Alabama is now in on Ernest Udeh. It certainly seems like he's now looking at a range of possible suitors, which given the early momentum that he was on the precipice of committing to Duke seems to indicate that both parties are moving on.
    Shame. I'd have liked to see him with us this season (and beyond).

While I understand the positional need of a defensive 5, I’d honestly prefer the recruited players get more minutes. Other than Young, the recent transfers have seemed like stop-gaps due to roster attrition who weren’t big factors. This season we kept more players than most of us would have hoped for and between Schutt, Blakes, Reeves and the four freshmen I think we have the pieces to compete for a NC already. Unless some sure-fire star wants to come, I’d rather go with what we have.

It would have been nice to have more depth, but I have to say, between Flip, Young, Reeves, Stewart, and a versatile Mitchell if needed, I'm already feeling good about our bigs. Maybe it's easy for me to say since I don't have my job on the line, but I was impressed with Reeves when he played and am comfortable relying on him for meaningful minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Scott, what did you do? Do I need to get my pitchfork and torches out of the shed?