Page 6 of 83 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    haha sorry for typo. My point is if he does want to improve his draft stock that could be hard if Proctor and Roach return.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I'm not a fan of this whole situation. The one small bit of good news is that I believe you only get one transfer where you don't have to sit out. So most (but not all) of the players who transferred last year are unlikely to transfer again, so that will at least slightly lower the numbers.

The implementation of NIL and transfers without sitting out a year at basically the same time was a perfect storm, with the addition of the bonus covid year making it even bigger. One could argue (and we have many long threads here that discuss this) that these changes are generally good things as they empower the players, but it has turned things into total chaos.
    I am a fan of this development, as it gives the athletes more control over their own situation. We've always been fine with coaches being free to make a commitment to a group of guys, then decide to up and leave for a bigger contract someplace else and be able to step into the new coaching role right away. Yet up until recently, if any recruited player concluded for whatever reason that the situation he found himself in upon matriculating to his program of choice wasn't the right fit, he was SOL and still locked into his commitment. If he wanted to change programs, he could do so, but only after sitting out a year. Frankly, that level of asymmetry was unfair, and I [for one] am happy to see it gone.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    this is pure speculation and me speaking out of a my backside but could Whiteside be a transfer? Go to some smaller program and be "the guy" next year.
    I addition to the folks who have noted that Whitehead is almost certainly entering the draft, why would he bother to transfer? He could be "the guy" at Duke next year if he wants to spend another year in school. Give the dude a couple months without injury and he is going to blow your socks off.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    haha sorry for typo. My point is if he does want to improve his draft stock that could be hard if Proctor and Roach return.
    Roach is just as unlikely as Whitehead to return to Duke. You are taking two 1% situations and wondering, "what happens if these both occur!?!?" And even if they did, I don't see Roach's return impacting potential Whitehead minutes.

But, Dariq will be in the NBA next season (possibly the G-League, but on a multi-million dollar contract), so this is all moot.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    They should wait because the portal is not open yet. Because the season isn’t over yet and tournaments and bowl games are supposed to be important. They still don’t have to play. For that matter they could quit mid season. But they are still under scholarship. I don’t know where the idea came from that colleges should be run in such a way as to maximize student convenience. The rest of the world doesn’t work that way.
    How does a player declaring they plan to enter the transfer portal hurt anyone? I just don’t get why people care about this. I could see during the team’s season it could be disruptive.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    How does a player declaring they plan to enter the transfer portal hurt anyone? I just don’t get why people care about this. I could see during the team’s season it could be disruptive.
    I think that some people may be of the misconception that teams still currently playing in the post-season cannot still recruit kids from the portal, or at least don't have the time to do so, which I also believe to be untrue.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Their sponsors can't be too happy with their investments in an under-achieving, dysfunctional group. Do they want more of the same?
    I wondered about this when Love shutdown his Twitter. Being on social media is a big reason these guys get their NIL deals. I don't blame him for doing so, I wouldn't want to sign on to see I'm getting hated either, but sponsors can't be too thrilled either.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Just a quick note...

If you want to mention a UNC player coming or going in this thread, that is perfectly fine, but lets try to largely contain the macro Carolina discussion to this thread: https://forums.dukebasketballreport...-season-thread

Thanks!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Just a quick note...

If you want to mention a UNC player coming or going in this thread, that is perfectly fine, but lets try to largely contain the macro Carolina discussion to this thread: https://forums.dukebasketballreport...-season-thread

Thanks!
    Such a shame that the Tar Heel off-season started so early.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Are you asking how it is disruptive to the team for players to quit right before tournament games and bowl games? Just trying to make sure I understand the question.

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    I think that some people may be of the misconception that teams still currently playing in the post-season cannot still recruit kids from the portal, or at least don't have the time to do so, which I also believe to be untrue.
    Why not just leave it open all the time?

Are you asking how it is disruptive to the team for players to quit right before tournament games and bowl games? Just trying to make sure I understand the question.
    Transferring ≠ quitting. If I put in my two weeks notice at work and then continue to do my job until those two weeks are up, haven't I fulfilled all my obligations? It's a very old school, fan perspective to equate transferring with quitting on your team and it's not shared by the majority of coaches or players.

Further, the season is over for 242 of the 358 college basketball teams. Why are they held hostage by the timeline of the other 116?

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    Transferring ≠ quitting. If I put in my two weeks notice at work and then continue to do my job until those two weeks are up, haven't I fulfilled all my obligations? It's a very old school, fan perspective to equate transferring with quitting on your team and it's not shared by the majority of coaches or players.

Further, the season is over for 242 of the 358 college basketball teams. Why are they held hostage by the timeline of the other 116?
    Important point. The reality of big time college hoops is that it's way closer to a business than many fans want to admit. Sure many players love their schools and teammates. But it is a business. We all want to think that players fall in love with the Duke campus, Cameron, the Crazies, the academics and that's why they go to Duke. But there have been a few recruits, Jabari I remember for sure, who have said, literally, "I made a business decision." It doesn't mean that Jabari didn't love Duke, that he didn't play his heart out for Duke, etc... But it is a business decision, especially for the guys wanting to make a living playing after college. And a business decision many of us make is deciding if there is another job that can improve your career prospects more than one's current situation. Why not college basketball players?

Several thoughts about transfers and the portal and several questions to the board...

1. A player transferring has many facets to it, family situation, pro prospects, furthering one's educational opportunity (not every basketball player goes "pro" in basketball).
    2. This means that not all transfers are "quitting" their teams. Ryan Young did not "quit Northwestern". One aspect of his transfer was educational opportunities at Duke.
    3. The opening and closing of the portal is more for the coaches then the students. If the "student-athletes" were really treated like other students the portal would be open during the same times as admission offices are accepting applications from "student transfers". For Duke, transfer applications are due tomorrow for Fall of 2023.
    4. Finally, the questions for the board with a small preamble.

Players enter college from high school (or equivalent) and they enter at a certain talent level (Duh this is really obvious).
    Transfers occur after 1 year or more (Duh this is also obvious)
    The most talented players (as identified in high school) only play for one year or perhaps two and I am assuming these players never transfer between their 1st and 2nd year unless there are unforeseen circumstances (a coaching change). [I am sure someone on this board will find one or two counter examples, but I am looking at broad trends.]

Therefore, the questions...

Do the players in the transfer portal have to develop their skills to be at the same talent level as top high school recruits?
    Does this mean that transfers are where a coach seeks out players to fill a role, rather than players to build a team around?

No, my premise is that it has no impact when declaring after the player’s team has no more games.

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post

Because it is disruptive to the team and fans who pay for it all. It’s the same reason free agency doesn’t start just before the playoffs for professional teams. I’m really so sorry for those “hostages” but I think they will survive. Maybe we should hire a tiny violin concerto for them?

I'm still confused about the sit out rule. 247 sports clearly says "The one-time transfer rule is still intact, per usual. If a player has not transferred yet, they are immediately eligible." And yet they list players, e.g. Brakefield, as immediately eligible.
    Can anyone clear this up?

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    I'm still confused about the sit out rule. 247 sports clearly says "The one-time transfer rule is still intact, per usual. If a player has not transferred yet, they are immediately eligible." And yet they list players, e.g. Brakefield, as immediately eligible.
    Can anyone clear this up?
    You can be a grad transfer in addition to the one-time transfer waiver. Brakefield has most likely graduated from Ole Miss. If he has, he can transfer and become immediately eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    On the Field of 68 podcast, Rob Dauster and John Fanta opened with a complaint about the transfer portal opening the day after Selection Sunday saying that it detracts from "the best post season in all of sports" to have people reporting players entering the transfer portal instead of regional prognostication. As part of their discussion, Dauster shared that Arkansas coach Eric Musselman told him that he spent more time last NCAA tournament recruiting players from the portal then preparing for his next opponent. My first thought was, "Great, we played them in the Elite Eight, no wonder we killed them!" But, it certainly seems like the timing isn't great.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    On the Field of 68 podcast, Rob Dauster and John Fanta opened with a complaint about the transfer portal opening the day after Selection Sunday saying that it detracts from "the best post season in all of sports" to have people reporting players entering the transfer portal instead of regional prognostication. As part of their discussion, Dauster shared that Arkansas coach Eric Musselman told him that he spent more time last NCAA tournament recruiting players from the portal then preparing for his next opponent. My first thought was, "Great, we played them in the Elite Eight, no wonder we killed them!" But, it certainly seems like the timing isn't great.
    Makes very little sense from my perspective. Just open the portal the day after the NCAAT ends. Is that really so problematic?

- Chillin

Because it is disruptive to the team and fans who pay for it all. It’s the same reason free agency doesn’t start just before the playoffs for professional teams. I’m really so sorry for those “hostages” but I think they will survive. Maybe we should hire a tiny violin concerto for them?
    How is, for example, the UNC guys entering the portal now disruptive to anyone? Their season is over. No one is transferring off of teams that are still playing.

You can say the portal is open or closed whenever, but there’s no way to prevent people from deciding they want to transfer, and no reason there should be. You can address the timing of a public announcement if need be, but likely you end up with NBA free agency where teams and players miraculously negotiate complex long term deals within ten minutes of free agency beginning.