Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Thanks for your patience. I assumed that the “Covid Year” referred to the season, 2019-20, which ended abruptly, with a canceled NCAAT. Now I see that “Covid Year” referred to 2020-21, during which various teams experienced interruptions caused by Covid issues, even though the NCAAT was held at its conclusion.

As to Roach (and Brakefield), it’s coincidentally true that Jeremy’s frosh season ended abruptly, after the “Mark Williams game.”

I’m unsure about the Justin Robinson case. As I posted earlier, I’ve no idea how the NCAA treated redshirt-5th-year seniors in 2020-21. Did they get a 6th year? Maybe so...
    Yes, the “COVID year” was because the NCAA wanted to grant players the choice of whether or not to try to play in 2020-21. With all of the uncertainty, it otherwise would have made choosing to play a huge risk. But it was only available to those with eligibility going into the 2020-21 season.

The NCAA did nothing for the 2019-20 season. So those 2019-20 seniors (like Robinson) just plain got screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yes, the “COVID year” was because the NCAA wanted to grant players the choice of whether or not to try to play in 2020-21. With all of the uncertainty, it otherwise would have made choosing to play a huge risk. But it was only available to those with eligibility going into the 2020-21 season.

The NCAA did nothing for the 2019-20 season. So those 2019-20 seniors (like Robinson) just plain got screwed.
    It may seem like a while ago, but there were players and teams that just opted out in 2020-21. The entire Ivy League did not play. A couple MEAC teams did not play. There were several other teams that only played a handful of games before ending their seasons. It was a very messed-up year and the NCAA did the right thing in awarding those players another shot at having a full season.

And though I am saddened by it, I understand why they did not do the same thing for the 2020 seniors. I recall that something like half the teams in the NCAA had already completed their season by the time the Covid stoppage hit.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It may seem like a while ago, but there were players and teams that just opted out in 2020-21. The entire Ivy League did not play. A couple MEAC teams did not play. There were several other teams that only played a handful of games before ending their seasons. It was a very messed-up year and the NCAA did the right thing in awarding those players another shot at having a full season.

And though I am saddened by it, I understand why they did not do the same thing for the 2020 seniors. I recall that something like half the teams in the NCAA had already completed their season by the time the Covid stoppage hit.
    One of them being the UNC Tar Heels who lost in the last game of the season (the late Wednesday night game) to finish their season 14-19.

To clarify the extra year a bit. High school seniors in 2020 matriculated to college and played in 2020-21. Here is the 2020 ESPN Top 100 HS recruits.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...020/order/true

These players if they are still in school can play next year and one more year after that.

High school seniors in 2019 would be seniors in college this year and also get an extra year.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...019/order/true

High school seniors in 2018 who red-shirted for 1 year would be RS seniors in college this year and also get an extra year.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...018/order/true

Not sure many of these top 100 recruits from 2018 or 2019 are left in college with the exception of Armando Bacot.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    I'm trying to think of non rotation players at Duke who started the next year. I can't come up with any but I'd imagine there may be a few.
    I don’t think the OP was suggesting Reeves will start, just that we should not assume he will be out of the rotation next year based on his being out of the rotation this year.

But you raise a good question. I was thinking maybe Tyler Thornton — I didn’t remember him getting much playing time his first year — but he logged 10 minutes a game in 2010-2011 and started three.

Reeves usually does something positive and productive when he comes in. However we can't expect every young 7 footer to be as athletic as Mark Williams and Dereck Lively and Reeves may take a while for his footwork to develop. Maybe a 12-15 minute a game player next year.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I'd be curious if these are "insider *wink wink*" style rumors or just chatter, because I'm not so sure anyone in the portal will improve on the potential combo of a sixth-year Ryan Young, a sophomore Christian Reeves, and Sean Stewart occasionally sliding over to a small-ball 5. Especially with Jon explicitly saying in recent weeks that he wants to generate year-to-year continuity, taking a transfer in that would, at bare minimum, take Reeves' minutes seems like an odd choice, especially viewed alongside additional data points: 1) Duke backed off of JP Estrella in the Class of 2023, and 2) Reeves and the staff agreed to burn his redshirt. All signs are that the staff would be happy with a Young/Reeves/Stewart combo at the 5 next year if option A, which is obviously a sophomore Kyle, doesn't happen.

That said, I'm not going to think about this for another second until our season is over, because it's time to enjoy March
    It's going to be Adama Sanogo. Surprising, yes, given he's their starting C. TIFWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    To clarify the extra year a bit. High school seniors in 2020 matriculated to college and played in 2020-21. Here is the 2020 ESPN Top 100 HS recruits.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...020/order/true

These players if they are still in school can play next year and one more year after that.

High school seniors in 2019 would be seniors in college this year and also get an extra year.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...019/order/true

High school seniors in 2018 who red-shirted for 1 year would be RS seniors in college this year and also get an extra year.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...018/order/true

Not sure many of these top 100 recruits from 2018 or 2019 are left in college with the exception of Armando Bacot.
    Lot of guys near the bottom -- Landers Nolly, Matthew Meyer, David Singleton still in school. Not sure if any redshirted or not. Gabe Brown has redshirted and will be looking for a sixth year, I think. Robby Carmody is portalling. Announced today.

I'm trying to think of non rotation players at Duke who started the next year. I can't come up with any but I'd imagine there may be a few.
    Matt Jones
    Ryan Kelly

It doesn’t happen all that often though.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Matt Jones
    Ryan Kelly

It doesn’t happen all that often though.
    I feel like Jack White fits somewhere in here. Jack becoming a rotation player seemed unlikely until he was one.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    And Justin McCoy, if you scroll a bit down.

An exodus beginning? One can dream.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I feel like Jack White fits somewhere in here. Jack becoming a rotation player seemed unlikely until he was one.
    The question was who went from not being in the rotation at all to starting the next year.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    The question was who went from not being in the rotation at all to starting the next year.
    Stretching a bit, but Mark Williams wasn’t in the rotation for much of the 2020-21 season before his late season breakout. And who knows whether that would’ve happened if not for the Jalen Johnson situation.

If Kyle leaves, I don’t think Reeves starts, Ryan does. But Reeves probably is the primary backup. Again, Scheyer wants to build some continuity, and growing Reeves is a great way to do that.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

He didn’t go from completely out of the rotation to starting, but Erik Meek went from 5.7 MPG, 25 games played, zero starts in 91-92 to 11.6 MPG, 32 games played, 1 start in 92-93. So he was completely out of the rotation for some percentage of games in 91-92 and started at least one game the next year.

For reference, Cherokee Parks played 12.8 MPG, 34 games played, 3 starts in 91-92. I don’t remember exactly how it played out this many years on, but I’m guessing that by the end of the year Meek was out of the rotation and Parks was getting any minutes at the 5 when Laettner was on the bench.

Interesting that Meeks had two significantly better bigs in front of him, one of whom left after his freshman year. He parlayed that into a larger role the next year, rinse and repeat.

So Meeks freshman year to sophomore year progression are the best optimistic reference point I can think of for Reeves.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Wouldn;t that be in violation of recruiting rules to have been in contact with players currently at other schools?

I'm new to the rules of the portal, but that would seem to be like the wild west.
    There are intermediaries-- parents, agents, etc.-- who can convey info. I'd like to think we would wait for players elsewhere to either enter the TP or reach out to Duke in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    And Justin McCoy, if you scroll a bit down.

An exodus beginning? One can dream.
    They are expecting at least one more, not counting Love or Bacot.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    He didn’t go from completely out of the rotation to starting, but Erik Meek went from 5.7 MPG, 25 games played, zero starts in 91-92 to 11.6 MPG, 32 games played, 1 start in 92-93. So he was completely out of the rotation for some percentage of games in 91-92 and started at least one game the next year.

For reference, Cherokee Parks played 12.8 MPG, 34 games played, 3 starts in 91-92. I don’t remember exactly how it played out this many years on, but I’m guessing that by the end of the year Meek was out of the rotation and Parks was getting any minutes at the 5 when Laettner was on the bench.

Interesting that Meeks had two significantly better bigs in front of him, one of whom left after his freshman year. He parlayed that into a larger role the next year, rinse and repeat.

So Meeks freshman year to sophomore year progression are the best optimistic reference point I can think of for Reeves.
    John Smith in '87. Completely out of the rotation as a freshman, starting center as a sophomore (at least until he broke his hand).

So, it happens once in a century or so.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    They are expecting at least one more, not counting Love or Bacot.
    I saw a Tarheel FB friend post about Nickel leaving, and his comment was "Hopefully Love is next".

Just so funny that they HOPE their own players leave.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I saw a Tarheel FB friend post about Nickel leaving, and his comment was "Hopefully Love is next".

Just so funny that they HOPE their own players leave.
    To be fair, Love is in good company. Heels couldn’t wait to say goodbye to McWonts as well.