Page 26 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
    Here's a stunner: Ryan Nembhard of Creighton just entered the portal. He was starting PG for the Bluejays. It's a shock, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Here's a stunner: Ryan Nembhard of Creighton just entered the portal. He was starting PG for the Bluejays. It's a shock, to say the least.
    Could this be the first ever transfer portal trade?

Ryan Nembhard of Creighton (entered portal today) follows his brother Andrew in transferring to Gonzaga.
    Hunter Sallis of Gonzaga (entered portal March 31) returns to his home state by transferring to Creighton.

In other news...

ESPN: Alabama freshman Jaden Bradley enters transfer portal

Bradley, a 6-foot-3 guard from Rochester, New York, started 22 games during his first season in Tuscaloosa but had lost his starting job to Jahvon Quinerly for the SEC and NCAA tournaments and averaged 12 minutes over the final six games of the season.

On the season, Bradley, a McDonald's All American who ranked No. 20 in the 2022 class, averaged 6.4 points and 3.1 assists in 37 games.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Wow. What a world we live in where the returning starting PG for an Elite 8 team that could be preseason Top 5 wants to go elsewhere. Wonder if this was NIL driven given Creighton is a relatively small market, but they did have enough NIL infrastructure to grab Scheirman last off-season…

https://augustafreepress.com/news/vi...MLbFeBBIQoDnP8

Maybe Holmes isnt in the plans, after all...

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post

Interesting. I wonder if Scheyer is taking a “first come first serve” approach in case Holmes tests the waters and decides to go pro? We did get burned in that scenario last year when it was widely reported we’d land AJ Green as a replacement for Trevor Keels, but Green instead decided to stick in the draft. I believe he went undrafted but got a 2-way deal.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Wow. What a world we live in where the returning starting PG for an Elite 8 team that could be preseason Top 5 wants to go elsewhere. Wonder if this was NIL driven given Creighton is a relatively small market, but they did have enough NIL infrastructure to grab Scheirman last off-season…
    Fair question but Omaha is a medium-sized city (58th largest MSA) that punches above its weight in terms of economic influence thanks to Buffett and Ameritrade among others. And Creighton is effectively the only game in town sports-wise. The hoops team regularly sells out a 17K seat arena as a school with less than 5K undergrads.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Fair question but Omaha is a medium-sized city (58th largest MSA) that punches above its weight in terms of economic influence thanks to Buffett and Ameritrade among others. And Creighton is effectively the only game in town sports-wise. The hoops team regularly sells out a 17K seat arena as a school with less than 5K undergrads.
    Good point. It seems like this may be coaching driven, with early speculation being he’s off to Arizona since their coach is the one who brought his brother to Gonzaga. One has to wonder whether there was some “tampering” at play here between this decision and Krissa’s departure at Zona.

What a world.

Good point. It seems like this may be coaching driven, with early speculation being he’s off to Arizona since their coach is the one who brought his brother to Gonzaga. One has to wonder whether there was some “tampering” at play here between this decision and Krissa’s departure at Zona.

What a world.
    Unless he's thinking of going pro, I think Arizona intends to give the keys next year to the rising soph Kylan Boswell (former HS teammate of Jared McCain), who has an awful lot of skill and athleticism.

Academic rules

Interesting. I wonder if Scheyer is taking a “first come first serve” approach in case Holmes tests the waters and decides to go pro? We did get burned in that scenario last year when it was widely reported we’d land AJ Green as a replacement for Trevor Keels, but Green instead decided to stick in the draft. I believe he went undrafted but got a 2-way deal.
    Could be another reason entirely. Remember that Duke has a hard time taking transfers, due to graduation requirements. Shedrick apparently has, or will soon have, his UVa degree, so he'd be a grad transfer, which clearly works.

Holmes apparently is finishing his sophomore year, so that would be a bit trickier, I think. But someone here will undoubtably correct me on this.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    I continue to think this is largely BS. This kid just does not make sense given our roster makeup and I cannot imagine he wants to come in and fight to se if he can find 5 minutes per game. The only way this even begins to make sense is if... ugh... Flip is turning pro. Pierre would not nearly be a Flip replacement, but the number of available forward minutes increases significantly in that case.

We did get burned in that scenario last year when it was widely reported we’d land AJ Green as a replacement for Trevor Keels, but Green instead decided to stick in the draft. I believe he went undrafted but got a 2-way deal.
    Yeah, AJ Green did ok for a 2-way player this season. He played in 34 games for the Milwaukee Bucks and showed really nice outside shooting touch hitting 42 of his 100 3FGA. He actually didn't spend all that much time in the G-League and averaged better than 21ppg down there. He absolutely appears to have a NBA futrue.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I continue to think this is largely BS. This kid just does not make sense given our roster makeup and I cannot imagine he wants to come in and fight to se if he can find 5 minutes per game. The only way this even begins to make sense is if... ugh... Flip is turning pro. Pierre would not nearly be a Flip replacement, but the number of available forward minutes increases significantly in that case.

Yeah, AJ Green did ok for a 2-way player this season. He played in 34 games for the Milwaukee Bucks and showed really nice outside shooting touch hitting 42 of his 100 3FGA. He actually didn't spend all that much time in the G-League and averaged better than 21ppg down there. He absolutely appears to have a NBA futrue.
    SI is saying it’s true that there’s mutual interest. We’ll see how much interest there is but I don’t think this is some fabrication.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    SI is saying it’s true that there’s mutual interest. We’ll see how much interest there is but I don’t think this is some fabrication.
    A reminder: that’s not SI. That’s a Duke focused fan site AFFILIATED with SI. There’s no new SI caliber reporting there, just regurgitation of stuff from On3. It’s an easy trap
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post

I think Shedrick makes a ton of sense.

Gives us a rim protector with a similar block rate to Lively plus a decent offensive game as well.

Add to that he knows the conference and comes from a great defensive program.

And he probably wouldn't dominate minutes meaning there'd still be minutes for Reeves to continue to develop (and hopefully not transfer).

I mean...it seems pretty perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    I think Shedrick makes a ton of sense.

Gives us a rim protector with a similar block rate to Lively plus a decent offensive game as well.

Add to that he knows the conference and comes from a great defensive program.

And he probably wouldn't dominate minutes meaning there'd still be minutes for Reeves to continue to develop (and hopefully not transfer).

I mean...it seems pretty perfect.
    Call me old fashioned, but inter conference transfers still feel a little skeezy to me. I'll root for him if he's on our team, but I still don't feel great about it. I know that ship has sailed though...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    A reminder: that’s not SI. That’s a Duke focused fan site AFFILIATED with SI. There’s no new SI caliber reporting there, just regurgitation of stuff from On3. It’s an easy trap
    Reading the "article" is laughable. It's essentially a book report, but instead of a book as the subject it's about an interview. No insider knowledge, just literal second hand "he said to this guy" stuff.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

UVA Big

According to Chris Graham of the Augusta Free Press (Waynesboro, Va.), Shedrick is headed to Duke. The article is dated 4/6. For what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by peteandpete View Post
    According to Chris Graham of the Augusta Free Press (Waynesboro, Va.), Shedrick is headed to Duke. The article is dated 4/6. For what it's worth.
    Graham is far from definitive in that article--he concludes by saying "Wherever Shedrick ends up, he’d have his UVA degree, and then two years of eligibility remaining..." But I do agree with posters upstream that a grad transfer coming from an institution with rigorous academic standards similar to Duke's would be a very attractive player compared to many others in the portal who would transfer as undergrads, often from institutions with softer academic requirements. A good fit from a basketball perspective is of course another big plus.

Which is why

Quote Originally Posted by clinresga View Post
    Graham is far from definitive in that article--he concludes by saying "Wherever Shedrick ends up, he’d have his UVA degree, and then two years of eligibility remaining..." But I do agree with posters upstream that a grad transfer coming from an institution with rigorous academic standards similar to Duke's would be a very attractive player compared to many others in the portal who would transfer as undergrads, often from institutions with softer academic requirements. A good fit from a basketball perspective is of course another big plus.
    Which is why I said for what it's worth.

So with the latest buzz around Shedrick, have we moved on from Dickinson? If I missed an update on Dickinson, my apologies.