Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 1654
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I've heard rumors on other sites that a) Duke has some backup plans in mind if Flip does depart and b) they may involve one or the other centers from UConn. I don't know much about either but people seem to think that at least would be a good replacement.

    Regardless, it will be a couple of weeks at least before we know who will be returning and who will be the best options in the portal. Still a lot of basketball left for some teams (hopefully DUKE!!).
    Seems pretty random. Why would these kids enter the portal and why would Duke be interested in them. Did Duke show interest in either as High Schoolers? I wish Duke would go international for their bigs.

  2. #22
    Any interest in Armando Bacot as a backup option at 5? I hear they’re tired of him in Chapel Hill and Young can’t play 40 minutes every game next year. Plus we already know gets the gold glove treatments from ACC officials. Seems like a win-win!

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Duke has a lot of players in the mix for the roster in 2023-24 already. My opinion on the roster moving into next season looks like this:

    Definitely gone: Catchings, Grandison, Johns
    Most likely gone: Lively, Roach, Whitehead
    Maybe gone (50/50): Filipowski (I might be low-balling the odds here)
    Probably returning: Borden, Blakes, Mitchell, Proctor, Reeves, Schutt, Young
    Incoming freshmen: Foster, McCain, Mgbako, Power, Stewart

    If everyone in the maybe, probably, and freshmen categories returns, that is 12 scholarship players. It's very possible that Filipowski goes pro. If he decides to return, I don't think Duke will look for a big man in the portal. They'll have 8 guys (7 if you exclude Borden) that are 6'8" or taller. Maybe they back-fill a position if Blakes, Reeves, and/or Schutt transfers.

    My guess is that the coaching staff would target a big-time C in the transfer portal if Filipowski does go pro. I'm not sure Lampkin is that guy. We'll see who else enters their name.

    In any case, we won't have worry about the portal as long as the team is still playing games. Let's hope that keeps up for a few more weeks.
    I'd move Proctor up to at least the maybe gone category

  4. #24
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Storrs, CT
    Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I've heard rumors on other sites that a) Duke has some backup plans in mind if Flip does depart and b) they may involve one or the other centers from UConn. I don't know much about either but people seem to think that at least would be a good replacement.

    Regardless, it will be a couple of weeks at least before we know who will be returning and who will be the best options in the portal. Still a lot of basketball left for some teams (hopefully DUKE!!).
    I'd be curious if these are "insider *wink wink*" style rumors or just chatter, because I'm not so sure anyone in the portal will improve on the potential combo of a sixth-year Ryan Young, a sophomore Christian Reeves, and Sean Stewart occasionally sliding over to a small-ball 5. Especially with Jon explicitly saying in recent weeks that he wants to generate year-to-year continuity, taking a transfer in that would, at bare minimum, take Reeves' minutes seems like an odd choice, especially viewed alongside additional data points: 1) Duke backed off of JP Estrella in the Class of 2023, and 2) Reeves and the staff agreed to burn his redshirt. All signs are that the staff would be happy with a Young/Reeves/Stewart combo at the 5 next year if option A, which is obviously a sophomore Kyle, doesn't happen.

    That said, I'm not going to think about this for another second until our season is over, because it's time to enjoy March
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I'd be curious if these are "insider *wink wink*" style rumors or just chatter, because I'm not so sure anyone in the portal will improve on the potential combo of a sixth-year Ryan Young, a sophomore Christian Reeves, and Sean Stewart occasionally sliding over to a small-ball 5. Especially with Jon explicitly saying in recent weeks that he wants to generate year-to-year continuity, taking a transfer in that would, at bare minimum, take Reeves' minutes seems like an odd choice, especially viewed alongside additional data points: 1) Duke backed off of JP Estrella in the Class of 2023, and 2) Reeves and the staff agreed to burn his redshirt. All signs are that the staff would be happy with a Young/Reeves/Stewart combo at the 5 next year if option A, which is obviously a sophomore Kyle, doesn't happen.

    That said, I'm not going to think about this for another second until our season is over, because it's time to enjoy March
    Some fans think Reeves will start at C next year but I'm not buying it. If he's not even in the rotation this year I have a hard time seeing him getting starter minutes next year. How likely is it that Stewart will start? Is he comparable to the Miami C?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Atlanta
    Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I've heard rumors on other sites that a) Duke has some backup plans in mind if Flip does depart and b) they may involve one or the other centers from UConn. I don't know much about either but people seem to think that at least would be a good replacement.

    Regardless, it will be a couple of weeks at least before we know who will be returning and who will be the best options in the portal. Still a lot of basketball left for some teams (hopefully DUKE!!).
    Wouldn;t that be in violation of recruiting rules to have been in contact with players currently at other schools?

    I'm new to the rules of the portal, but that would seem to be like the wild west.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Nashville
    Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    I'd move Proctor up to at least the maybe gone category
    Mitchell too

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Atlanta
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Anyone who played in the 2020-21 season gets the extra year. The 2020 season that ended abruptly when conference tournaments and the NCAA tourney were cancelled does not get a new year but the 2021 guys do.

    So, that would include Roach, Brakefield, and Henry Coleman. Each of those guys still has 2 years of eligibility left.
    Since they've already transferred once, wouldn't they need to sit out a season?

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Anyone who played in the 2020-21 season gets the extra year. The 2020 season that ended abruptly when conference tournaments and the NCAA tourney were cancelled does not get a new year but the 2021 guys do.

    So, that would include Roach, Brakefield, and Henry Coleman. Each of those guys still has 2 years of eligibility left.
    JE, be extra patient with me here, seriously. I don’t think you've got this right, and think my confusion comes from your using single years (e.g., 2021) rather than double years (e.g., 2020-21). Are the “2021 guys” those who were frosh in 2020-2021? But if so, the NCAAT was in fact held in spring 2021, so that season did not end abruptly for most teams. Coincidentally, it did end for Duke, including Fr Jeremy Roach, for Covid-related reasons. Duke’s 2020-21 season ended with the Mark Williams 23/19 game v. UL in the ACCT.

    It was, precisely, the 2019-20 season that ended abruptly for all NCAA bball teams. There was no NCAAT in spring 2020. Thus — I think — players who played in the 2019-20 season were ruled to have been “deprived,” and thus get the extra, “super senior,” year. None of Roach, Brakefield, or Coleman played in the season, 2019-20, that Covid ended prematurely.

    I repeat, I may have this wrong, but your explanation doesn’t convince me.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Wouldn;t that be in violation of recruiting rules to have been in contact with players currently at other schools?

    I'm new to the rules of the portal, but that would seem to be like the wild west.
    College basketball recruiting has rules?

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    JE, be extra patient with me here, seriously. I don’t think you've got this right, and think my confusion comes from your using single years (e.g., 2021) rather than double years (e.g., 2020-21). Are the “2021 guys” those who were frosh in 2020-2021? But if so, the NCAAT was in fact held in spring 2021, so that season did not end abruptly for most teams. Coincidentally, it did end for Duke, including Fr Jeremy Roach, for Covid-related reasons. Duke’s 2020-21 season ended with the Mark Williams 23/19 game v. UL in the ACCT.

    It was, precisely, the 2019-20 season that ended abruptly for all NCAA bball teams. There was no NCAAT in spring 2020. Thus — I think — players who played in the 2019-20 season were ruled to have been “deprived,” and thus get the extra, “super senior,” year. None of Roach, Brakefield, or Coleman played in the season, 2019-20, that Covid ended prematurely.

    I repeat, I may have this wrong, but your explanation doesn’t convince me.
    I think it was more about giving assurance in 2020-21 to players that they would not be potentially wasting eligibility by playing in the event the seasion was cancelled more so than making it up to those who were deprived at the end of 2019-20.

  12. #32
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Storrs, CT
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    JE, be extra patient with me here, seriously. I don’t think you've got this right, and think my confusion comes from your using single years (e.g., 2021) rather than double years (e.g., 2020-21). Are the “2021 guys” those who were frosh in 2020-2021? But if so, the NCAAT was in fact held in spring 2021, so that season did not end abruptly for most teams. Coincidentally, it did end for Duke, including Fr Jeremy Roach, for Covid-related reasons. Duke’s 2020-21 season ended with the Mark Williams 23/19 game v. UL in the ACCT.

    It was, precisely, the 2019-20 season that ended abruptly for all NCAA bball teams. There was no NCAAT in spring 2020. Thus — I think — players who played in the 2019-20 season were ruled to have been “deprived,” and thus get the extra, “super senior,” year. None of Roach, Brakefield, or Coleman played in the season, 2019-20, that Covid ended prematurely.

    I repeat, I may have this wrong, but your explanation doesn’t convince me.
    Sorry, but JE is right here. If what you are saying was the case, Justin Robinson would’ve gotten another year in a Duke uniform. Alas, that was not the case
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    JE, be extra patient with me here, seriously. I don’t think you've got this right, and think my confusion comes from your using single years (e.g., 2021) rather than double years (e.g., 2020-21). Are the “2021 guys” those who were frosh in 2020-2021? But if so, the NCAAT was in fact held in spring 2021, so that season did not end abruptly for most teams. Coincidentally, it did end for Duke, including Fr Jeremy Roach, for Covid-related reasons. Duke’s 2020-21 season ended with the Mark Williams 23/19 game v. UL in the ACCT.

    It was, precisely, the 2019-20 season that ended abruptly for all NCAA bball teams. There was no NCAAT in spring 2020. Thus — I think — players who played in the 2019-20 season were ruled to have been “deprived,” and thus get the extra, “super senior,” year. None of Roach, Brakefield, or Coleman played in the season, 2019-20, that Covid ended prematurely.

    I repeat, I may have this wrong, but your explanation doesn’t convince me.
    Well, maybe this will convince you--

    https://www.ncsasports.org/coronavir...ty-coronavirus

    In response to the impact COVID-19 had on college athletics during the 2020-2021 season, the NCAA granted an extra year of eligibility to spring, fall and winter sport athletes.
    As others have noted, had the 2020 seniors been given an extra year, we would have enjoyed watching Justin Robinson rain threes upon the ACC for another 12 months.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Some fans think Reeves will start at C next year but I'm not buying it. If he's not even in the rotation this year I have a hard time seeing him getting starter minutes next year. How likely is it that Stewart will start? Is he comparable to the Miami C?
    He may not start next year, but I wouldn't write him off on the basis of playing time this season. We have an absolutely loaded front court with Flip, Lively, and Young. There just aren't minutes for all.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    He may not start next year, but I wouldn't write him off on the basis of playing time this season. We have an absolutely loaded front court with Flip, Lively, and Young. There just aren't minutes for all.
    I'm trying to think of non rotation players at Duke who started the next year. I can't come up with any but I'd imagine there may be a few.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Sorry, but JE is right here. If what you are saying was the case, Justin Robinson would’ve gotten another year in a Duke uniform. Alas, that was not the case
    I thought Justin Robinson was a 5th-year senior in 2019-20. He redshirted his first year at Duke, 2015-16, guarding Brandon Ingram in practice. So he was a redshirt-5th-year senior in 2019-20. He wouldn't get a 6th year, would he? Maybe he would??

  17. #37
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Since they've already transferred once, wouldn't they need to sit out a season?
    Also interested in this, can he transfer again without having to sit out a season? Hypothetically, if Brakefield recommitted, then sat out next season, starring on the scout team of course, could he play in '24-'25?

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, maybe this will convince you--

    https://www.ncsasports.org/coronavir...ty-coronavirus

    As others have noted, had the 2020 seniors been given an extra year, we would have enjoyed watching Justin Robinson rain threes upon the ACC for another 12 months.
    Thanks for your patience. I assumed that the “Covid Year” referred to the season, 2019-20, which ended abruptly, with a canceled NCAAT. Now I see that “Covid Year” referred to 2020-21, during which various teams experienced interruptions caused by Covid issues, even though the NCAAT was held at its conclusion.

    As to Roach (and Brakefield), it’s coincidentally true that Jeremy’s frosh season ended abruptly, after the “Mark Williams game.”

    I’m unsure about the Justin Robinson case. As I posted earlier, I’ve no idea how the NCAA treated redshirt-5th-year seniors in 2020-21. Did they get a 6th year? Maybe so...

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I thought Justin Robinson was a 5th-year senior in 2019-20. He redshirted his first year at Duke, 2015-16, guarding Brandon Ingram in practice. So he was a redshirt-5th-year senior in 2019-20. He wouldn't get a 6th year, would he? Maybe he would??
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I’m unsure about the Justin Robinson case. As I posted earlier, I’ve no idea how the NCAA treated redshirt-5th-year seniors in 2020-21. Did they get a 6th year? Maybe so...
    Yes, a redshirted player would get an extra year. In fact, we have someone doing that on next year's roster. Ryan Young redshirted his first year at Northwestern. His Covid bonus year next season at Duke will be his 6th year in college.

    So, had the Covid bonus rule existed after the abrupt end to the 2020 season, the JRob experience would have lived another 12 months in Durham.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Weird double-post. Sorry!

Similar Threads

  1. WBB Transfer Portal 2023
    By dudog84 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 05-06-2023, 09:28 PM
  2. Duke Football 2022 Transfer Portal Watch
    By johnb in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: 12-20-2022, 08:49 AM
  3. 2022 MBB Transfer Portal Thread
    By DavidBenAkiva in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1800
    Last Post: 11-19-2022, 12:17 PM
  4. Transfer portal players 2021
    By MarkD83 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 03-16-2022, 11:58 AM
  5. Brakefield in transfer portal
    By jaywilliams22 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 224
    Last Post: 04-21-2021, 02:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •