Page 16 of 83 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    I have no idea whether Scheyer and Co have any interest in this particular player or other similar players. That being said, bringing in such a guy is one potential way of "getting older" and having program continuity. In theory, bringing in a lightly recruited rising Sophomore with limited NBA prospects should be less risky than bringing in a similarly ranked recruit out of high school. A similarly ranked guy out of HS may never develop into anything more than an end-of-the-bench guy who becomes a transfer risk. The rising Sophomore has already proven themselves against D1 competition (less transfer risk) and has less NBA potential (less risk of bolting to the pros).

I don't know how many of these guys there are, but you could probably build some program continuity by skimming the best "rising-Sophomore-with-limited-NBA-prospects" from the portal each year.

In other words, a savvy team could treat the transfer portal as a proving ground like the NBA treats one-and-done college guys. Give them one year to prove themselves and then select the best candidates to remain in your program for 3 years.
    But why would such a player want to come here and sit on the bench? Most guys (other than some of the grads like we've had here) transfer cuz they want to play, not sit.

A good reminder that it is fake posting season. Be careful for any post you see, in particular this Saturday.

https://twitter.com/brandoniieb12/st...ejIJXbjIpNRoWA

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    A good reminder that it is fake posting season. Be careful for any post you see, in particular this Saturday.

https://twitter.com/brandoniieb12/st...ejIJXbjIpNRoWA
    Lol, that's such a weird thing to fake. I'd never even heard of this guy.

But yeah, it's always good to check the handle carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

Maybe he transferred the old fashioned way- via academics and is looking to walk onto the team.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Brandon Lieb is indeed entering the portal from Illinois. He sure as hell ain't coming to Duke, though, lol. Not unless Jon just needs an extra body to keep practice interesting.

Illini junior center Brandon Lieb has entered the transfer portal, 247Sports has learned. Lieb later announced his transfer on social media.
    Lieb appeared in 16 games this past season. He averaged 3.5 minutes per game and went 7-for-12 (58 percent) from the field.
    The seven-footer logged a career-high 13 minutes at Minnesota back in January. He finished with four points, two rebounds and a block, which was a solid contribution while other frontcourt pieces were in foul trouble.
    The Deerfield (Ill.) native was a late addition to Illinois’ 2020 class. He also held offers from DePaul, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Utah before signing with the home-state Illini.
    https://247sports.com/college/illino...tal-207544854/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Brandon Lieb is indeed entering the portal from Illinois. He sure as hell ain't coming to Duke, though, lol. Not unless Jon just needs an extra body to keep practice interesting.
    "Lieb" is close to "Liebe", which is the German verb for Love. It would be funny to see Duke get some Love so soon after UNC lost it.

I guess I just like to see the UNC fans suffer. Pretty sure there's a German word for that too.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tennessee...210755704.html

Tennessee basketball's Olivier Nkamhoua enters transfer portal.

Not sure how I feel about this.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Joe Tipton/On3: North Carolina transfer Tyler Nickel commits to Virginia Tech

The 6-foot-7 freshman is originally from Harrisonburg, Virginia, just two hours from the Virginia Tech campus in Blacksburg. The Hokies were heavily involved in Nickel’s recruitment process when coming out of high school. Nickel attended East Rockingham, where he is the state of Virginia’s all-time leading scorer.
    Maybe living in Chapel Hill made him homesick. Or, more understandably, just regular sick.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/tennessee...210755704.html

Tennessee basketball's Olivier Nkamhoua enters transfer portal.

Not sure how I feel about this.

9F
    As I understand it, the Duke curse works against teams, not players. So Tennessee beats Duke, loses their very next game, then loses the player who got them there.

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    Not only Shedrick, but looks like Isaac Traudt entering the portal from UVA, as well.
    Creighton: Men’s Basketball Adds Virginia Transfer Isaac Traudt

Isaac Traudt, the 2022 Nebraska Gatorade Player of the Year, will transfer closer to home to play basketball at Creighton University beginning next fall. The Grand Island, Neb., native redshirted this past season at the University of Virginia and will have four years of eligibility remaining.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    This one was expected, as he wanted to be closer to home in Nebraska.

Meanwhile for UVA, they've lost BVP, Clark and Gardner to eligibility, Shedrick, Caffaro and Traudt to the portal, and now Beekman has declared for the draft, although maintaining his eligibility to return at this point. Although his release didnt sound like someone who had any intention of returning.

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    This one was expected, as he wanted to be closer to home in Nebraska.

Meanwhile for UVA, they've lost BVP, Clark and Gardner to eligibility, Shedrick, Caffaro and Traudt to the portal, and now Beekman has declared for the draft, although maintaining his eligibility to return at this point. Although his release didnt sound like someone who had any intention of returning.
    UVA might be looking at aa reset year or two. Miami, if they lose Wong, might take a step back next season. UNC is an incomplete team at the moment. NC State is also incomplete and losing its two best guards and best forward on a guard-heavy team.

The bulk of the portal activity is ahead of us, but the ACC doesn't look strong heading into next season.

Agreed--very weird. No mention of this anywhere on official Duke sports media, so it seems clearly to be a joke or wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Agreed--very weird. No mention of this anywhere on official Duke sports media, so it seems clearly to be a joke or wishful thinking.
    It's a fake twitter account.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    It's a fake Twitter account. That was the entire point of the discussion: you have to look VERY closely at Twitter handles this time of year.

What I was saying was weird was why anyone would go to the effort to do THAT fake account given how low-profile he is. It's just a really weird that someone decided to make that fake account and tweet. But there was never a question that it was in fact a fake account.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    UVA might be looking at aa reset year or two. Miami, if they lose Wong, might take a step back next season. UNC is an incomplete team at the moment. NC State is also incomplete and losing its two best guards and best forward on a guard-heavy team.

The bulk of the portal activity is ahead of us, but the ACC doesn't look strong heading into next season.
    I suspect Miami will be very good again next year. They'll pay top dollar for the best transfer portal guys to replace Wong (assuming he does go) and Miller. I think UNC will probably also be decent once they're done with the portal.

UVa I agree has a REALLY tough situation for next year. If Beekman stays in the draft, they'll have lost at least 5 of their top 6 players, including both PGs and all of their bigs. And I would be surprised if Franklin stayed on for the rebuild if Beekman stays in the draft, meaning their best returning player would their 7th and 8th best players.

Hunter Dickinson in the transfer portal. We ultimately went with Mark Williams, but we were pretty engaged with Dickinson at one point

https://twitter.com/JamieShaw5/statu...740942336?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Hunter Dickinson in the transfer portal. We ultimately went with Mark Williams, but we were pretty engaged with Dickinson at one point

Beat me to it. We were very involved when he was in high school. This is a major, major name in the portal.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Did we go with Mark Williams, or did Dickinson go with Michigan?

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post

Didn’t see this coming. Thought he’d go pro (Europe) but not this. Must want one more go-round but at a place ready to win now. He was making good NIL $ at Michigan so has to be about winning. Although in the announcement he said he “had no choice.” Hmm.

Did Dickinson break up with his girlfriend or did she transfer?