Page 13 of 83 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    [Rice] didn't play at all in the NCAA Tournament.
    Sounds like he’d be a perfect fit for UNC!

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Sounds like he’d be a perfect fit for UNC!

Ish Massoud from KSU into the portal.

There is a lot of rumbling now even from Dayton fans that DaRon Holmes II is going to enter the portal and heading to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by KKDL19 View Post
    There is a lot of rumbling now even from Dayton fans that DaRon Holmes II is going to enter the portal and heading to Duke.
    Well, I guess Kyle is likely moving on then.

I'm more than fine with Holmes being our center instead of Kyle. It's a better fit positionally.

I don't agree with that. I think that Duke wants Kyle to stay at the 4 and develop those skills rather than be locked in the post. I think a 5 comes in either way, if Kyle leaves or not

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Well, I guess Kyle is likely moving on then.

I'm more than fine with Holmes being our center instead of Kyle. It's a better fit positionally.
    Yea I dont think thats any indication that Kyle is definitely gone. He may very well be, but I dont think this is a sign of that. I think it could be a sign that Jon more envisions Kyle playing the 4, where he can still exploit mismatches on the offensive end, without having to exclusively remain in the post defensively and face foul trouble.

I don't agree with that. I think that Duke wants Kyle to stay at the 4 and develop those skills rather than be locked in the post. I think a 5 comes in either way, if Kyle leaves or not
    In that case, one of Mark Mitchell, Kyle, or MacKenzie will have to come off the bench. I don't think that's an ideal scenario at all.

But if Mark is leaving, then it's okay!

I am not so sure. Duke still has 14 guys for 13 scholarships. Adding a portal dude would require 2 guys to exit. I think Flip and a portal 5 are mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    I am not so sure. Duke still has 14 guys for 13 scholarships. Adding a portal dude would require 2 guys to exit. I think Flip and a portal 5 are mutually exclusive.
    Well, we are still awaiting the decisions of Roach and Lively, who I think as a consensus, we are all expecting to leave. And then of course the decisions of Mitchell and Flip. And this isnt to mention any decisions to stay/transfer from Blakes/Schutt/Reeves

Duke has 5 freshmen coming in (Mgbako, Stewart, McCain, Foster, Power). They have, presumably, 5 guys "definitely" returning (Proctor, Young, Blakes, Reeves, Schutt). There are 4 guys whose decisions are still clearly in doubt (Flip, Roach, Lively, and Mitchell).

So it is quite conceivable for Flip to return and a portal guy to arrive. Essentially, it just requires the two guys who most everyone is already expecting to leave (Roach and Lively) to actually leave. But even that isn't the only pathway.

OK, I might be way on on this, but I don't see things that way.

If Kyle returns, he might get time as the 5, as he did this year, but I think that by Ryan returning and with Duke actively looking in the portal for a 5, there is a thought that Duke would like to have a similar rotation at the 5 as this year. %, Young and then Kyle.

If Kyle leaves, then there is a necessity for a starting 5 and that's more of when when I think Mac and Mitchell both start. Stewart will be in that mix too

Look at the McD's game... Mac didn't score and was relatively non-existent in that setting. Stewart had some moments too but not like one of the players that stood out. I could easily see If both Mitchell and Flip return, that Mac starts the season coming off the bench. A second unit of: Young, Stewart, Mac, Power, Foster/McCain and Blakes/Schutt would be incredible. Imagine a 4 out lineup of Young/Stewart being surrounded by shooters of Mac, Power, Foster/McCain and Schutt (Blakes too)

I've already had lunch. Why does your post make me salivate?

OK, I might be way on on this, but I don't see things that way.

If Kyle returns, he might get time as the 5, as he did this year, but I think that by Ryan returning and with Duke actively looking in the portal for a 5, there is a thought that Duke would like to have a similar rotation at the 5 as this year. %, Young and then Kyle.

If Kyle leaves, then there is a necessity for a starting 5 and that's more of when when I think Mac and Mitchell both start. Stewart will be in that mix too

Look at the McD's game... Mac didn't score and was relatively non-existent in that setting. Stewart had some moments too but not like one of the players that stood out. I could easily see If both Mitchell and Flip return, that Mac starts the season coming off the bench. A second unit of: Young, Stewart, Mac, Power, Foster/McCain and Blakes/Schutt would be incredible. Imagine a 4 out lineup of Young/Stewart being surrounded by shooters of Mac, Power, Foster/McCain and Schutt (Blakes too)
    You may be right, but we also were all concerned about Filipowski after his non-performance at the Nike Hoop Summit last April. Now we think he might be a National Player of the Year candidate if he returns.

I love the idea of having Filipowski and DaRon Holmes together. That would be a tough pair to defender. They can both shoot the ball and are both big tough dudes with skill. Not a lot of those guys play in college. Having two guys like that on the same roster would be a tough matchup for anyone.

Until Holmes is in the portal, it's all conjecture.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Duke has 5 freshmen coming in (Mgbako, Stewart, McCain, Foster, Power). They have, presumably, 5 guys "definitely" returning (Proctor, Young, Blakes, Reeves, Schutt). There are 4 guys whose decisions are still clearly in doubt (Flip, Roach, Lively, and Mitchell).

So it is quite conceivable for Flip to return and a portal guy to arrive. Essentially, it just requires the two guys who most everyone is already expecting to leave (Roach and Lively) to actually leave. But even that isn't the only pathway.
    Flip plus a portal 5 means that 3 of the 5 incoming freshmen won't be starting (if Mark stays it will be 4 of the 5). That doesn't seem typical for Duke, especially for a highly rated class. Duke may be in brave new world territory but I am not sure it is quite that brave.

Oh yes please.

Flip plus a portal 5 means that 3 of the 5 incoming freshmen won't be starting (if Mark stays it will be 4 of the 5). That doesn't seem typical for Duke, especially for a highly rated class. Duke may be in brave new world territory but I am not sure it is quite that brave.
    To be clear, my suspicion is that the discussion will be moot. But worth noting that 3 of the 5 incoming freshmen are in the recruiting range that hasn't historically guaranteed a starting spot. And that's ignoring that the incoming class is generally considered much weaker than usual anyway. If we do an adjustment of -5 to each guy's recruiting ranking (noting that we don't have the final rankings yet so all is subject to change) and compare that with what guys have typically done at Duke, you get Power being usually on the fringe or out of the rotation; Foster, McCain, and Stewart on the fringe of starting but also often reserves; and Mgbako typically a starter.

Having said that, I think there's definitely a chance that we start 3 freshmen. But if either Flip or Mitchell returns AND we add a transfer portal big, then the most likely outcome would be 3 freshmen coming off the bench.

https://www.si.com/college/duke/bask...aK9tHnpcnBy5yQ

Interesting we would be taking a look at a guard in the portal. Is this telling that we may be losing someone or someones to transfer?

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post

Interesting we would be taking a look at a guard in the portal. Is this telling that we may be losing someone or someones to transfer?
    Interesting. Hopefully, he would be willing to develop and wait his turn for a while if he came to Duke.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post

As with all the transfer talk, “expressed interest” can mean a whole range of things, including the staff just kicking the tires to do their due diligence without serious interest. I wouldn’t read too much into any transfer talk until it either starts coming from reliable Duke-focused sources or there’s a campus visit. Just my perspective though.