Page 79 of 83 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 1654
    It was already clear he wasn't coming to Duke but Udeh has committed to TCU.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Ernest Udeh Jr. tweets his transfer to TCU.

It's not easy being Duke blue.
    Could be worse... he could've ended up at a school that we'd be in likely direct contention with either in the ACC or for top-tier seeding. Seems like a great young man who many of our players are close with, so I wish him all the best.

We'll be just fine, I think. We've got a frontcourt of Kyle Filipowski, Ryan Young, Christian Reeves, Sean Stewart, and (as needed) Mark Mitchell. Most teams in the country would kill for that combination of talent, experience, depth, and upside. Udeh would've made our front court elite, but we'll just have to settle for very, very good

A friendly reminder: on the year, Ryan Young averaged nearly 18 mpg, and in those minutes averaged 6.4 points, 5.5 rebounds, and 1.3 assists. He shot nearly 70% from the field and better than 80% from the line. He's a 6-10, 235 pound bruiser. Is he going to sky for blocks like Dereck Lively or do well in the pick-and-roll? Nope. But he does a lot of other things very, very well at the college level, and was doing them well for us for most of the year, before a combination of Lively's ascension and a bit of a downturn from him gave us all a huge case of recency bias.

If, as Jason projected on the podcast earlier this week, Kyle plays 15 minutes at the 5, Ryan plays 15 minutes at the 5, and the other 10 are up for grabs between Stewart and Reeves, we're in great shape. Heck, a 20/20 split between Kyle and Ryan would be A-OK in my book. We' should be good enough defensively at almost every other position on the floor to make up for Ryan's defensive shortcomings in spurts, just like we did last year.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Could be worse... he could've ended up at a school that we'd be in likely direct contention with either in the ACC or for top-tier seeding. Seems like a great young man who many of our players are close with, so I wish him all the best.

We'll be just fine, I think. We've got a frontcourt of Kyle Filipowski, Ryan Young, Christian Reeves, Sean Stewart, and (as needed) Mark Mitchell. Most teams in the country would kill for that combination of talent, experience, depth, and upside. Udeh would've made our front court elite, but we'll just have to settle for very, very good

A friendly reminder: on the year, Ryan Young averaged nearly 18 mpg, and in those minutes averaged 6.4 points, 5.5 rebounds, and 1.3 assists. He shot nearly 70% from the field and better than 80% from the line. He's a 6-10, 235 pound bruiser. Is he going to sky for blocks like Dereck Lively or do well in the pick-and-roll? Nope. But he does a lot of other things very, very well at the college level, and was doing them well for us for most of the year, before a combination of Lively's ascension and a bit of a downturn from him gave us all a huge case of recency bias.

If, as Jason projected on the podcast earlier this week, Kyle plays 15 minutes at the 5, Ryan plays 15 minutes at the 5, and the other 10 are up for grabs between Stewart and Reeves, we're in great shape. Heck, a 20/20 split between Kyle and Ryan would be A-OK in my book. We' should be good enough defensively at almost every other position on the floor to make up for Ryan's defensive shortcomings in spurts, just like we did last year.
    I definitely wanted Udeh but perhaps the silver lining is an opportunity for Reeves to grab some minutes which could help us in subsequent seasons (of course, would be nice for his play to help us THIS season too!). And, yeah, Ryan isn't going to be a defensive behemoth, but he typically doesn't make mistakes and knows his role. Guys like that are always great to have. On top of his offensive efficiency, FT shooting, and rebounding prowess -- not to mention his great team leadership on and off the court. Glad to have Ryan back now for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Ernest Udeh Jr. tweets his transfer to TCU.

It's not easy being Duke blue.
    It's official. Udeh's been Scotted.

Personally, I am excited to see this

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post

4 and 5 need to take a step off that line

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    The only surprising thing to me is how this sort of situation wasn't seen pretty clearly from the get go. Seems someone dropped the ball if things progressed as far as they did before someone recognized it wasn't feasible.

Udeh entered the portal right at the deadline and then was on campus for a visit less than a week later. I presume the admissions office wouldn't have access to his transcripts until after the coaches were ready to make an offer and they had to begin the paperwork. Less than a week after his visit the rumors started to surface that there were issues with him qualifying for the transfer. So altogether we're talking about maybe 10-12 days from the time he entered the portal until the admissions department declaring that he wasn't eligible to transfer. I don't consider that "dropping the ball," it's just the nature of the transfer portal where things happen in a matter of days rather than the months or years that you typically get when recruiting a high schooler. It's not like you can just google someone's transcript and then ask ChatGPT if they'll be eligible to transfer.

Also note for reference that Caleb Love committed to Michigan on April 7 and then decommitted on May 17 when it was similarly discovered that his credits wouldn't all transfer. That's a heck of a lot longer than it took for us to make the same determination.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Udeh entered the portal right at the deadline and then was on campus for a visit less than a week later. I presume the admissions office wouldn't have access to his transcripts until after the coaches were ready to make an offer and they had to begin the paperwork. Less than a week after his visit the rumors started to surface that there were issues with him qualifying for the transfer. So altogether we're talking about maybe 10-12 days from the time he entered the portal until the admissions department declaring that he wasn't eligible to transfer. I don't consider that "dropping the ball," it's just the nature of the transfer portal where things happen in a matter of days rather than the months or years that you typically get when recruiting a high schooler. It's not like you can just google someone's transcript and then ask ChatGPT if they'll be eligible to transfer.

Also note for reference that Caleb Love committed to Michigan on April 7 and then decommitted on May 17 when it was similarly discovered that his credits wouldn't all transfer. That's a heck of a lot longer than it took for us to make the same determination.
    Pretty much perfectly stated the situation as best I understand it.

There are cultural or strategic reasons the coaching staff has preferred building the roster through high school recruitment. Duke is still Duke University. There are structural issues with admitting undergraduate transfers (credits instead of credit hours comes to the top of mind). I think this summer has shown the wisdom in growing the roster through recruitment and retention. The coaching staff wasn't in desperate need of landing anyone. They were picky and only invited Udeh for an official visit. Shedrick sort of invited himself to feel out Duke. I never expected the transfer portal to be very active for Duke in either direction. It's been even less active this summer than I thought. Looking at the roster and the landscape of college basketball, that's a win for the program.

Pretty much perfectly stated the situation as best I understand it.

There are cultural or strategic reasons the coaching staff has preferred building the roster through high school recruitment. Duke is still Duke University. There are structural issues with admitting undergraduate transfers (credits instead of credit hours comes to the top of mind). I think this summer has shown the wisdom in growing the roster through recruitment and retention. The coaching staff wasn't in desperate need of landing anyone. They were picky and only invited Udeh for an official visit. Shedrick sort of invited himself to feel out Duke. I never expected the transfer portal to be very active for Duke in either direction. It's been even less active this summer than I thought. Looking at the roster and the landscape of college basketball, that's a win for the program.
    These explanationa make sense. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post

4 and 5 need to take a step off that line
    They may need to lose weight, then. It's worse if they step on the sideline.

Going forward, the program should have access to a close to immediate decision. Any college student can get their transcripts in about 10 seconds online. If Udeh sent those over, there is little reason for me to believe the admissions dep couldn’t have those vetted in 24 hours. All of this doesn’t really matter though since it seems like Duke is destined for grad transfers at this point. Limits the talent pool in the world of NIL but you can’t have everything.

Yup, it may be sour grapes (do we really know Udeh's transcript situation? Perhaps we did, and I just missed it), but it makes sense to me as well.

Though Duke should still be formidable next season, the lack of a proven rim protector worries me. Can someone become one? Perhaps. I suppose the most upside would be on Reeves... because Flip has other responsibilities, and I think Young is what he is. I hope Reeves is working on his hops, as well as his conditioning to get up and down the floor quickly, and learns to set solid screens on the perimeter without moving. Still, if the existing Devils can't step up, Duke could still go far. But it would be a bit shakier at times.

Maybe Duke will find another shot blocker in a barn somewhere (nod to Blue Chips), but I'm not counting on it. So with that, barring any other Duke-related surprises (like Lively going to GSW, some huge Duke-related NBA trade, etc.) or other jaw droppers (like the Heat sweeping the Nuggets), I'm out. Have a good summer, everyone.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Yup, it may be sour grapes (do we really know Udeh's transcript situation? Perhaps we did, and I just missed it), but it makes sense to me as well.

Though Duke should still be formidable next season, the lack of a proven rim protector worries me. Can someone become one? Perhaps. I suppose the most upside would be on Reeves... because Flip has other responsibilities, and I think Young is what he is. I hope Reeves is working on his hops, as well as his conditioning to get up and down the floor quickly, and learns to set solid screens on the perimeter without moving. Still, if the existing Devils can't step up, Duke could still go far. But it would be a bit shakier at times.

Maybe Duke will find another shot blocker in a barn somewhere (nod to Blue Chips), but I'm not counting on it. So with that, barring any other Duke-related surprises (like Lively going to GSW, some huge Duke-related NBA trade, etc.) or other jaw droppers (like the Heat sweeping the Nuggets), I'm out. Have a good summer, everyone.

9F
    Worth pointing out that none of our title teams relied on a shot blocking center. Nor did the 2022, 2021, 2019, 2018, 2017, or 2016 champs. It is a “nice to have”, but it is far from a prerequisite.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post

9F
    Stewart has hops and can play down low. Reeves is tall. The issue with Reeves is the recovery from his surgery. I am sure he is getting stronger this summer and I have a feeling he can fill a role. Not many players his size.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Stewart has hops and can play down low. Reeves is tall. The issue with Reeves is the recovery from his surgery. I am sure he is getting stronger this summer and I have a feeling he can fill a role. Not many players his size.
    I think Reeves will pleasantly surprise. He flashed last when I saw him last year. We'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Crisker View Post
    I think Reeves will pleasantly surprise. He flashed last when I saw him last year. We'll be fine.
    Reeves surprised me with his skill and competence last year, after on-line shadows of whispers of rumors that he would red-shirt. Granted he didn't really play (m)any meaningful minutes, but he played as well or better than all the other non-rotation players when he did get in.
    He's been in the system for a full year, he's hopefully getting stronger, and maybe even getting taller! so there's plenty of reason to be optimistic that he'll be ready to provide more impact this coming season.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Going forward, the program should have access to a close to immediate decision. Any college student can get their transcripts in about 10 seconds online. If Udeh sent those over, there is little reason for me to believe the admissions dep couldn’t have those vetted in 24 hours.
    But why would he do that before he even knows if he wants to come here? That would be like applying for a job and having them perform a background check before you even interview. And we weren't the only school he was considering; I'm sure he wouldn't just send his transcript out to every school before he visits, meets with the coaches, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is my understanding that the problem is not the classes he took at Kansas, but some online courses he also took. Duke does not allow those to transfer and without those he would not qualify to be a soph at Duke. The NCAA does not allow players to transfer and reclassify a year down in terms of graduation. You must enter into your proper class to transfer so Udeh needs to qualify as a soph in order to come to Duke. I have heard that his online classes make that impossible.
    You can transfer and need an extra year to graduate due to the receiving school’s requirement that you have a minimum number of years in residence and credits earned in residence. That’s why Jayden Gardner needed his fifth year of college to graduate from U. Va. He transferred after his junior year at ECU.

But why would he do that before he even knows if he wants to come here? That would be like applying for a job and having them perform a background check before you even interview. And we weren't the only school he was considering; I'm sure he wouldn't just send his transcript out to every school before he visits, meets with the coaches, etc.
    I’m honestly surprised Duke doesn’t just ask for this up front. Hey send us those transcripts really quick so our connection in admissions can look at them quickly before we go any further. It’s like sending a Resume to a company before they fly you out for an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Worth pointing out that none of our title teams relied on a shot blocking center. Nor did the 2022, 2021, 2019, 2018, 2017, or 2016 champs. It is a “nice to have”, but it is far from a prerequisite.
    Shot blocking and rim protection are not always the same thing. The 2010 team was excellent at rim protection, our height and length that year made it hard to opponents to score inside against us.

Plus the modern offense of shooting only 3s and layups has made rim protection even more important than it has been historically.