Page 82 of 83 FirstFirst ... 327280818283 LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 1654
    Quote Originally Posted by DeBlueDevil View Post
    Agreed we’d be much worse off but you act as if he’s been a non negotiable starter..
    Not at all. I think Young is best suited as a 10-15 minute player off the bench. I also think that it about the ceiling for anyone that Duke could have brought in via the portal.

5s like Lively and Williams simply were available via the portal.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    This leaves, by my count, 7 players who have withdrawn from the draft but have not committed to where they will return, with notes based on the links provided.

Isaiah Miranda (DNP at NC State)
    -- visiting Oklahoma State soon and considering Florida State, Georgetown, UCF, and Villanova
    Isaiah Miranda must have really liked it in Stillwater to pass up visits to Tallahassee, Washington DC, Orlando, and Philadelphia.

Pokes Report: Oklahoma State Lands NC State Transfer Center Isaiah Miranda

Checking in at 7-0, 200 pounds, Miranda had declared for the NBA Draft and was in the transfer portal up until this past Wednesday before withdrawing his name before the deadline to remain in.

Miranda, who was originally a part of the 2023 signing class, graduated early this past December and joined NC State at midseason. However, he entered the transfer portal back on May 9 after not having played a single minute during the spring semester.
    Miranda was #33 in last summer's RSCI 2023 rankings before leaving for college one semester early. It's not clear to me why Miranda did not play for NC State for the second half of the season; this article from Rivals/Wolfpack Central suggests that he had difficulty adjusting to playing at the college level, and didn't see a future at NC State after they acquired a pair of post players in the portal. He's skinny for a 7-footer (only 5 pounds heavier than Chet Holmgren a year ago), but it's still hard to reconcile how he saw himself as NBA-ready when he couldn't come in and help an NC State team that lost its tallest starter in December to injury.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Saturday Down South: Report: Connor Vanover, former Arkansas forward, enters transfer portal after 1 year at Oral Roberts

Vanover spent his freshman year at Cal, then transferred to Arkansas, sitting out one season and playing a redshirt sophomore and redshirt junior seasons. He transferred again to Oral Roberts for his redshirt senior year, and now plans to spend his 6th year of college and 5th COVID year of eligibility at a 4th school.
    Rock M Nation: Oral Roberts transfer Connor Vanover commits to Mizzou

This is a stunningly long article for a transfer announcement. At least 23 paragraphs, an embedded video, a tale of the tape, a couple of tables...

It's from the Mizzou fan site on SB Nation, and as I've learned this portal season, their fans are weirdly aggressive. A lot of SEC younger sibling energy: it's not just Kentucky, Alabama, and Arkansas, we're here too, and we're getting every transfer. According to Stadium, Connor Vanover joins Tamar Bates (Indiana), Jesus Carralero (Campbell), Caleb Grill (Iowa State), and John Tonje (Colorado State) as Tiger transfers.

Admittedly, that's 5 more players from the portal than Big Bro Nation can claim.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Olivier Nkamhoua to Michigan

In a particularly fascinating transfer portal saga, Olivier Nkamhoua (yes, that one whose outlier performance helped Tennessee knock us out of the tourney) is headed to Michigan.

Nkamhoua had been connected with Michigan as soon as his name entered the portal, but he was also going through the draft process and considering playing overseas given his Finnish citizenship. Once he decided he was going back to school, though, things quickly soured. There were reports as recently as two nights ago by the usual Twitter "insiders" that Nkamhoua had eliminated Michigan from consideration, which many connected to Michigan's struggles in the NIL department. Within 24 hours, though, Michigan was back to being perceived as the favorite for his services, and now he's officially committed.

Nkamhoua could be a missing piece to make the Wolverines at least competitive next year. Sophomores Dug McDaniel and Tarris Reed will man arguably the most important positions on the floor (the point and center positions, respectively) and gained a ton of experience in their freshman campaigns. Losing Caleb Love hurt on the wing, but incoming transfer Nimari Burnett is a risky but high-ceiling option at the 2-guard, former Top 100 recruit and Princeton transfer Jaelyn Llewellyn will be exercising a medical redshirt after tearing his ACL early last year, and there are a handful of guys who could play the 3 or Michigan could use a three guard lineup. What was missing was a viable 4-man, paritcularly one who can stretch the floor given that Reed is NOT a shooter. Nkamhoua fits that role to a T.

An interesting note is that the On3 article indicates that Michigan could be a player for Kentucky's Antonio Reeves if he decides to grad transfer away from Kentucky. He could slot right into the role Love was supposed to take as a big offensive producer. With him or another addition, Michigan could at least be a bubble team this coming season, which seemed like a long-shot after the Love debacle and Dickinson's departure. The key, though, will be if this represents a corner turned re: NIL, or just an insane recruiting job by Coach Howard.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Arthur Kaluma, who averaged 11 and 6 last season for a very good Creighton squad, is portaling to Kansas State. https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...36485729763330

Kentucky really wanted/needed this kid. Something is wrong in Lexington. I know there is all this talk they don't have a good NIL program, but they were able to make Tshiebwe happy. I dunno what is going on there but the frustration with Cal is running hotter and hotter with each passing day.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Arthur Kaluma, who averaged 11 and 6 last season for a very good Creighton squad, is portaling to Kansas State. https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...36485729763330

Kentucky really wanted/needed this kid. Something is wrong in Lexington. I know there is all this talk they don't have a good NIL program, but they were able to make Tshiebwe happy. I dunno what is going on there but the frustration with Cal is running hotter and hotter with each passing day.
    Yeah, Rupp Rafters is awash in misery, it's gotten so bad I'm beginning to feel badly for UK fans.

The problem is Cal. Last year he was asked about resigning / moving on, his response? Something along the lines of, "I don't care what I'm doing, but I'm not giving up what they owe me. They can pay me to sit at home if they want."

Anyone with that attitude is going through the motions. UK was so stupid to give him a 10-year contract in 2019, he was beginning to tail off even then.

https://twitter.com/KamGlizzzy3/stat...56931141533698

NC State gets some help from former NC A&T guard Kam Woods. Averaged 17.3 pts, 4.2 reb, and 3.3 ast with the A&T last season.

Look, it is a big step to go from the CAA to the ACC but 17ppg scorers don't grow on trees. Kam was one of the best players at any HBCU last season. And he did pretty good when A&T played legit competition. He put up 17 and 18 versus Iowa and Iowa State and had a 26 point game against Houston.

A stronger ACC is a good thing for Duke, IMO. This helps NC State significantly.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilwildcats View Post
    Yeah, Rupp Rafters is awash in misery,.
    That’s a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    That’s a shame.
    They need a First Aid Kit.

Which give me an excuse to link to this song. It's A Shame.

https://twitter.com/KamGlizzzy3/stat...56931141533698

NC State gets some help from former NC A&T guard Kam Woods. Averaged 17.3 pts, 4.2 reb, and 3.3 ast with the A&T last season.

Look, it is a big step to go from the CAA to the ACC but 17ppg scorers don't grow on trees. Kam was one of the best players at any HBCU last season. And he did pretty good when A&T played legit competition. He put up 17 and 18 versus Iowa and Iowa State and had a 26 point game against Houston.

A stronger ACC is a good thing for Duke, IMO. This helps NC State significantly.
    Good for NCSU.

Do we have a bead on how the ACC has done the offseason relative to other power hoops conferences in attracting and retaining talent? While the ACC did well, did other power conferences do better or worse? Is there a conference-by-conference ranking of post-season roster improvement?

Due to the Covid year and immediate-play transfer/NIL (need a shorter way to say that, CYIPTNIL?), I imagine all fans of power conference teams feel their conferences had a strong post-season roster strengthening but may be unaware that other power conferences may have had just as strong a post-season if not stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by LeadingEdge View Post
    Good for NCSU.

Do we have a bead on how the ACC has done the offseason relative to other power hoops conferences in attracting and retaining talent? While the ACC did well, did other power conferences do better or worse? Is there a conference-by-conference ranking of post-season roster improvement?

Due to the Covid year and immediate-play transfer/NIL (need a shorter way to say that, CYIPTNIL?), I imagine all fans of power conference teams feel their conferences had a strong post-season roster strengthening but may be unaware that other power conferences may have had just as strong a post-season if not stronger.
    Great question...

On3 has team transfer portal rankings. I'm fairly sure they only track this for the P6 conferences. It takes into account both who you got and who you lost. Now, obviously, different teams have different portal needs. Duke would likely rank quite low in portal rankings, but we have a heck of a roster for next season so we did not need portal help. Sorta like with freshmen recruiting classes, you need a more holistic look at the roster to have a good sense of who has really improved from the portal. Anyway, here are the rankings and some of the ACC teams that seem to have fared well in the portal: https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/...sketball/2023/

1. Penn St
    2. Missouri
    3. W. Virginia
    4. Florida
    5. Wake Forest - Wake has been the transfer king of the ACC the past couple years. I suspect they think fmr. Gonzaga wing Hunter Sallis is the guy who will follow in Tyree Appleby and Alondes Williams footsteps.

10. NC State - They have brought in 5 guards/wings in an effort to replace the production of Terquavion Smith and Jarkel Joiner.

18. Clemson - This ACC team went out and got ACC talent in Syracuse's Joe Girard and NC State's Jack Clark.

21. Virginia - The Cavs roster has been decimated. They need a lot lot lot of help.

23. Syracuse - JJ Starling from Notre Dame could be a major star. The Orange also picked up several other transfers from top tier programs like Kansas, Florida State, and Auburn.

25. Va Tech - Oh it would be delicious irony if Tyler Nickle blossomed into an ACC player at VT after not really getting a chance at UNC.

32. Ga Tech - Florida's Kowacie Reeves could be one of the stronger transfers in the ACC.

33. Pitt - Fmr. Rhode Island SF Ishmael Leggett averaged better than 16 ppg and almost 6 rpg last season.

-Jason "Duke comes in at #40... we add non-factor Neil Begovich and lost no one... I figure any team ranked below 40 was a net negative in the portal while anyone above 40 was a positive" Evans

Great question...

On3 has team transfer portal rankings. I'm fairly sure they only track this for the P6 conferences. It takes into account both who you got and who you lost. Now, obviously, different teams have different portal needs. Duke would likely rank quite low in portal rankings, but we have a heck of a roster for next season so we did not need portal help. Sorta like with freshmen recruiting classes, you need a more holistic look at the roster to have a good sense of who has really improved from the portal. Anyway, here are the rankings and some of the ACC teams that seem to have fared well in the portal: https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/...sketball/2023/

1. Penn St
    2. Missouri
    3. W. Virginia
    4. Florida
    5. Wake Forest - Wake has been the transfer king of the ACC the past couple years. I suspect they think fmr. Gonzaga wing Hunter Sallis is the guy who will follow in Tyree Appleby and Alondes Williams footsteps.

10. NC State - They have brought in 5 guards/wings in an effort to replace the production of Terquavion Smith and Jarkel Joiner.

18. Clemson - This ACC team went out and got ACC talent in Syracuse's Joe Girard and NC State's Jack Clark.

21. Virginia - The Cavs roster has been decimated. They need a lot lot lot of help.

23. Syracuse - JJ Starling from Notre Dame could be a major star. The Orange also picked up several other transfers from top tier programs like Kansas, Florida State, and Auburn.

25. Va Tech - Oh it would be delicious irony if Tyler Nickle blossomed into an ACC player at VT after not really getting a chance at UNC.

32. Ga Tech - Florida's Kowacie Reeves could be one of the stronger transfers in the ACC.

33. Pitt - Fmr. Rhode Island SF Ishmael Leggett averaged better than 16 ppg and almost 6 rpg last season.

-Jason "Duke comes in at #40... we add non-factor Neil Begovich and lost no one... I figure any team ranked below 40 was a net negative in the portal while anyone above 40 was a positive" Evans
    Appears to me Duke is 45th and Cheats are 48. But the NIL numbers are befuddling and very specific to me (just guesses I assume).

Great question...

1. Penn St
    2. Missouri
    3. W. Virginia
    4. Florida

Good report.

Regarding the linked resource, it appears one could take a stab a ranking the P6 conferences in post-season portal improvement by adding up the index score for each team in a conference (the sum of the index scores for each conference team) and average it to get a conference average index score. Then compare the conference average index scores to see how the conferences stack up in portal activity. I'm too lazy to do that, unfortunately.

As you note, this approach would not consider the strength of the incoming freshman class. Nor would it consider each team's areas of need and fit, or each team's success in retaining players who tested the NBA waters (e.g., Filipowski, Beekman).

Grant Nelson, one of the best players in the portal this season, is apparently headed to Alabama.
    https://twitter.com/TiptonEdits/stat...55527351361563

There had been a tiny bit of talk about him going to UNC... I think it was more hopes from the Carolina folks than anything real.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Grant Nelson, one of the best players in the portal this season, is apparently headed to Alabama.
    https://twitter.com/TiptonEdits/stat...55527351361563

There had been a tiny bit of talk about him going to UNC... I think it was more hopes from the Carolina folks than anything real.
    Man, can you imagine how Jalen Washington would've felt if he did go to UNC? Talk about recruiting over someone, AGAIN. Not only would that basically be repeating the Pete Nance expeirment paired alongside Armando, but then that would be an added bad look.

It didn't happen so I should stop speculating. But even if the interest there was legitimate that's a very odd decision from Hubert.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

With WVU’s recent news, I’m hoping Jesse Edwards reconsiders and Duke makes a move. He’d be a nice addition with his length.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post
    With WVU’s recent news, I’m hoping Jesse Edwards reconsiders and Duke makes a move. He’d be a nice addition with his length.
    If he could help at the 5.. get him !

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    If he could help at the 5.. get him !
    Given where we are in the calendar, I assume IF Jesse Edwards were to reconsider attending WVu, he'd choose a school he was also considering and also evaluated. As far as I know, that list was Gonzaga, Kansas, VaTech, Tx Tech and Michigan. I doubt he'd consider a school that wasn't in the running before (i.e. Duke) given the limited time, but I suppose you never know.

Looks like the players from West VA are entering the portal. Lets see if Jesse Edwards opts to enter and if Duke gets involved

Quote Originally Posted by KKDL19 View Post
    Looks like the players from West VA are entering the portal. Lets see if Jesse Edwards opts to enter and if Duke gets involved
    Link? The only players I've seen enter the portal from WVU so far are Mitchell, Toussaint and Kriisa.