Page 8 of 83 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
    New best player in the portal... Jameer Nelson Jr is going to look for a new place to play his 5th season (thanks, Covid!) after averaging better than 20ppg at Delaware.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ransfer-portal

No idea what schools he might look at, but he's a significant talent.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    And thus the need for the GM position like Duke's Rachel Baker. Something tells me she is the person in the Duke program most focused on the transfer portal right now.
    The Athletic had a good article detailing the process for football programs when the portal opened for them in December. While Duke's support staff isn't as large as an SEC football program I'm sure there are video or other support staff looking through the names and making the coaches aware of anyone who they may be interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    The Athletic had a good article detailing the process for football programs when the portal opened for them in December. While Duke's support staff isn't as large as an SEC football program I'm sure there are video or other support staff looking through the names and making the coaches aware of anyone who they may be interested in.
    But the Duke football support staff is WAY bigger than it was previously (and better, too). I'm sure this was an Elko requirement for taking the job.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Are there any big man (center) possibilities to add for next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    There will be players in the portal. The more pressing question is how many players from Duke will return.

If Filipowski and Mitchell return, there won't be much room for anyone in the frontcourt. I assume that Filipowski will be the starting C next season with Mitchell and Mgbako at the forward positions. Young, Reeves, Stewart, and Power are the bench guys. That's 7 players 6'8" or taller. Not much PT will be available for a transfer coming into Duke. That could all change if Flip goes pro or if Reeves decides to transfer, for example.

Within UConn circles, there are strong indications that Adama Sanogo will be available. I’d like to see Duke get involved there. He’s the type of C we haven’t had in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Within UConn circles, there are strong indications that Adama Sanogo will be available. I’d like to see Duke get involved there. He’s the type of C we haven’t had in a long time.
    Sanogo is a junior this year. Assuming he is not graduating early, can Duke even reasonably get involved in transfers involving upperclassmen? I thought that there were eligibility restrictions that applied to any transfer (meeting some measurement of progress toward their degree) that a transfer to Duke is likely to fail, because Duke is very restrictive in granting credit to classes beyond the intro level.

Am I wrong? Can Duke effectively recruit and admit transfers outside of rising sophomores and grad students?

Quote Originally Posted by dlmzzz View Post
    Sanogo is a junior this year. Assuming he is not graduating early, can Duke even reasonably get involved in transfers involving upperclassmen? I thought that there were eligibility restrictions that applied to any transfer (meeting some measurement of progress toward their degree) that a transfer to Duke is likely to fail, because Duke is very restrictive in granting credit to classes beyond the intro level.

Am I wrong? Can Duke effectively recruit and admit transfers outside of rising sophomores and grad students?
    I’ve been wondering about this as well. How does any 4 year university accept an upper class transfer unless there is some pathway to graduation that doesn’t include multiple years after wrapping up sports eligibility? I understand that some players and coaches are happy to wink at the idea of academic progression, but don’t colleges have rules about such things?

Quote Originally Posted by dlmzzz View Post

Not sure about Duke's rules specifically, but here are the NCAA rules:

Division I
    40 percent of required coursework for a degree must be complete by the end of the second year, 60 percent by the end of the third year and 80 percent by the end of their fourth year.
    Student-athletes are allowed five years of eligibility and athletically related financial aid.
    All Division I student-athletes must earn at least six credit hours each term to be eligible for the following term and must meet minimum grade-point average requirements related to the school’s GPA standards for graduation.

Since you can have 5 years of eligibility (with a redshirt) you have to be on track to graduate in 5 years. Would someone be able to transfer to Duke as an upperclassman and still be able to graduate in 5 years?

I transferred as a 2nd semester junior (although neither school involved was anywhere near the academic prestige of Duke) and while I retained all my credit hours, the specific courses they counted for changed a little so I had to repeat some things. I was also no longer eligible to be considered a summa cum laude graduate because I did not earn more than some percent, I forget what it was, of my credits at the school I was graduating from.

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    Not sure about Duke's rules specifically, but here are the NCAA rules:

Division I
    40 percent of required coursework for a degree must be complete by the end of the second year, 60 percent by the end of the third year and 80 percent by the end of their fourth year.
    Student-athletes are allowed five years of eligibility and athletically related financial aid.
    All Division I student-athletes must earn at least six credit hours each term to be eligible for the following term and must meet minimum grade-point average requirements related to the school’s GPA standards for graduation.

Since you can have 5 years of eligibility (with a redshirt) you have to be on track to graduate in 5 years. Would someone be able to transfer to Duke as an upperclassman and still be able to graduate in 5 years?

I transferred as a 2nd semester junior (although neither school involved was anywhere near the academic prestige of Duke) and while I retained all my credit hours, the specific courses they counted for changed a little so I had to repeat some things. I was also no longer eligible to be considered a summa cum laude graduate because I did not earn more than some percent, I forget what it was, of my credits at the school I was graduating from.
    Between summer school and transfer credits, a current junior (so someone with 3 years of school) could potentially transfer to Duke and still graduate in 5 years. They'd likely need to fill 2 years worth of Duke-specific credits, but it's doable. Whether or not "doable" is of interest when said junior could go to another school with an easier path? Can't say. But it is conceivably doable.

My Wake Forest grad daughter just sent me this:

https://saturdayroad.com/wake-forest...ransfer-guard/

Steve Forbes has done a better job with transfers the last 2 years than just about any coach, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    My Wake Forest grad daughter just sent me this:

https://saturdayroad.com/wake-forest...ransfer-guard/

Steve Forbes has done a better job with transfers the last 2 years than just about any coach, imo.
    Uhoh, "Boopie" is a little too similar to Bootsy for my liking.

Looks like ORU’s coach, Paul Mills, accepted the job at Wichita state last night. Should we lose Tyrese Proctor and Jeremy Roach, I’d love to see us go after Max Abmas. He has a free covid year that he can take advantage of.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/news/arizona-state-center-enoch-boakye-plans-to-enter-the-ncaa-transfer-portal/

Looks like Puff Johnson’s UNC career has gone up in smoke.

This one is a bit relevant to Duke. Arizona's PG Kerr Kriisa is entering the transfer portal.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/sta...879814670?s=20

I also saw that Kansas backup PG Bobby Pettiford is going portaling as well.

Big time name just entered the portal...

Kerr Krissa, the junior PG who drove the engine for Arizona this year, is looking for a new home. He averaged a shade under 10ppg but had a Pac-12 leading 5.1 apg while shooting close to 37% from 3. Everyone in need of a PG is gonna be on him like white on rice!

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/sta...92044879814670
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Graham Ike

I didn't see this one posted before - Wyoming big man Graham Ike is in the portal. He sat out this season with an injury but two years ago he averaged 19.5 points and 9.6 rebounds and was named first team All Mountain West.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    This one is a bit relevant to Duke. Arizona's PG Kerr Kriisa is entering the transfer portal.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/sta...879814670?s=20

I also saw that Kansas backup PG Bobby Pettiford is going portaling as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Kerr Krissa, the junior PG who drove the engine for Arizona this year, is looking for a new home. He averaged a shade under 10ppg but had a Pac-12 leading 5.1 apg while shooting close to 37% from 3. Everyone in need of a PG is gonna be on him like white on rice!

It's a new age of college basketball... you can be one of the best players on one of the best teams in the country and still transfer. There's obviously a lot going on behind the scenes in all of these decisions that we don't know about, but it could very well be the case that Krissa just wants a new environment/experience in his last year (or two) of eligibility. At the risk of jumping on a landmine, if the rumblings of this being Jeremy's last year in Durham come to pass, and that happens via transfer as opposed to the pros, we should keep this somewhat similar situation in mind.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

I like Krissa, and I like the 3 pt shooting, but wow, that fg pctg is low. Worse than Caleb Love!