Page 1 of 83 1231151 ... LastLast

2023 Transfer Portal

Not sure if we'd be interested in adding a center via the portal this year, or if he'd be the kind of guy we'd be interested in, but you never know. TCU wide body Eddie Lampkin is entering the portal. Claimed Coach Dixon used racial language and that's why he left the team.

Has UNC’s whole team entered the portal yet, excluding those out of eligibility? I learned on IC yesterday that they passed on the NIT because everyone is leaving and Hubert needs to get busy bringing in new portal studs to get them back on top zippy fast.

Has a transfer ever returned to their previous school? Brakefield's tweet praising Scheyer sure seemed like a wink that I'd like to come back. I wonder if he would fit in with next year's crew?

Duke has a lot of players in the mix for the roster in 2023-24 already. My opinion on the roster moving into next season looks like this:

Definitely gone: Catchings, Grandison, Johns
    Most likely gone: Lively, Roach, Whitehead
    Maybe gone (50/50): Filipowski (I might be low-balling the odds here)
    Probably returning: Borden, Blakes, Mitchell, Proctor, Reeves, Schutt, Young
    Incoming freshmen: Foster, McCain, Mgbako, Power, Stewart

If everyone in the maybe, probably, and freshmen categories returns, that is 12 scholarship players. It's very possible that Filipowski goes pro. If he decides to return, I don't think Duke will look for a big man in the portal. They'll have 8 guys (7 if you exclude Borden) that are 6'8" or taller. Maybe they back-fill a position if Blakes, Reeves, and/or Schutt transfers.

My guess is that the coaching staff would target a big-time C in the transfer portal if Filipowski does go pro. I'm not sure Lampkin is that guy. We'll see who else enters their name.

In any case, we won't have worry about the portal as long as the team is still playing games. Let's hope that keeps up for a few more weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    Has a transfer ever returned to their previous school? Brakefield's tweet praising Scheyer sure seemed like a wink that I'd like to come back. I wonder if he would fit in with next year's crew?
    I believe Qudus Wahab transferred from Georgetown after the 2020-21 season to Maryland and then back to Georgetown for this past season.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Not sure if we'd be interested in adding a center via the portal this year, or if he'd be the kind of guy we'd be interested in, but you never know. TCU wide body Eddie Lampkin is entering the portal. Claimed Coach Dixon used racial language and that's why he left the team.
    Hmmm. Not sure this kid brings much to the table except that he is a very wide body- but 6 points and sub 60% FT is not all that impressive. TCU has not been happy with him for whatever reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Has UNC’s whole team entered the portal yet, excluding those out of eligibility? I learned on IC yesterday that they passed on the NIT because everyone is leaving and Hubert needs to get busy bringing in new portal studs to get them back on top zippy fast.
    I suspect there are many trolls on IC right now

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Maybe gone (50/50): Filipowski (I might be low-balling the odds here)
    Personally, I suspect that Flip’s MVP turn in the ACC tourney, capped by his 20/10 performance against UVA after getting blanked in Charlottesville, moved him into the “most likely gone” category.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Personally, I suspect that Flip’s MVP turn in the ACC tourney, capped by his 20/10 performance against UVA after getting blanked in Charlottesville, moved him into the “most likely gone” category.
    After you toss in Final Four MVP and National Champion, he's definitely gone.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Flip’s trajectory is upward with every game. His 3 point shooting needs work but that will come with reps and some tweaks. He will get stronger. His instincts are good and he is a competitor. Hard to see him dropping to the second round. Early in the season he probably made a decision to return and use the year to work on his game. But a funny thing happened- he became the best player on the team. Confidence is a funny thing in sports.

As much as I would and Duke fans would like to have Flip back, I think it's going to be tough for him to resist pursuing his NBA dream. All players have room to grow and their will always be some kind of debate about if a player should return to improve their skills or is the professional route the best way to improve.

Duke with Flip has Reeves (no one knows what to expect from his contribution next season), Young and an undersized incoming Fr to man the 5. Is that sufficient? Maybe, if Flip is asked to play more minutes as the 5 next season.
    Duke without Flip, will for sure need more depth at the 5. Mitchell, Mac, Powers and Stewart can all provide minutes at the 4 but the depth and/or production at the 5 will be questionable without another 5.

We are all in the wait and see mode for after the season departures. Not only is there questions about who declares for the league but also are players such as Reeves, Schutt, and Blakes going to be patient enough to stick it out another year.

When looking or projecting the roster for next season, Duke appears to be stacked with talent (again(. With Flip this year could be a contender to cut down the nets next March. Without him, Duke will need to land a legit 5 to be in that same discussion or Reeves would have to make a huge jump.

Quote Originally Posted by KKDL19 View Post
    As much as I would and Duke fans would like to have Flip back, I think it's going to be tough for him to resist pursuing his NBA dream. All players have room to grow and their will always be some kind of debate about if a player should return to improve their skills or is the professional route the best way to improve.

Duke with Flip has Reeves (no one knows what to expect from his contribution next season), Young and an undersized incoming Fr to man the 5. Is that sufficient? Maybe, if Flip is asked to play more minutes as the 5 next season.
    Duke without Flip, will for sure need more depth at the 5. Mitchell, Mac, Powers and Stewart can all provide minutes at the 4 but the depth and/or production at the 5 will be questionable without another 5.

We are all in the wait and see mode for after the season departures. Not only is there questions about who declares for the league but also are players such as Reeves, Schutt, and Blakes going to be patient enough to stick it out another year.

When looking or projecting the roster for next season, Duke appears to be stacked with talent (again(. With Flip this year could be a contender to cut down the nets next March. Without him, Duke will need to land a legit 5 to be in that same discussion or Reeves would have to make a huge jump.
    Reeves does not look lost out there. I think he has some Mark Williams in him and just needs a summer of work. He could be a big surprise next year

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Reeves does not look lost out there. I think he has some Mark Williams in him and just needs a summer of work. He could be a big surprise next year
    I thought he looked really good in his minutes against Pitt. Not that he should start or anything, but his performance made me wonder why he hasn't seen spot minutes here and there during the season, especially in situations where Ryan Young would be an undersized 5.
    Trinity '09

(Wow, while I wrote this, the thread has already wasted away into yet another discussion about draft departures and next year's Duke roster. I don't know why I bother.)

Some early links to keep track of all the transferring.

247 Sports has a 2023 Transfer Portal page and an introductory article that offers some explanation.

The most important new rule is the just-instituted NCAA transfer windows. Numerous graduate transfers have already entered the transfer portal, but Monday kicks off the 60-day window for the rest of the prospective transfers to hop in the portal to examine their options. The one-time transfer rule is still intact, per usual. If a player has not transferred yet, they are immediately eligible.
    The Resource Nexus, which sounds totally made up, has their Transfer Portal Basketball Rankings, a long list of announced names with a Top 30, subject to updates. Jaemyn Brakefield is #1 for now.

On3, which has been mentioned on DBR before with its voodoo approach to ranking high schoolers and collegians by NIL valuation, also has a Transfer Portal page, where you can toggle through a Top tab for top players, a Transfer Portal tab for recent wire announcements, and a Rankings tab for team rankings.

I haven't seen the bigger sports sites -- ESPN, SI, CBS -- add their own Transfer Portal trackers yet.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    After you toss in Final Four MVP and National Champion, he's definitely gone.
    I’ll take it. 😉

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    While I'd love Brakefield back, I'm not sure it'd make a whole lot of sense. He left to pursue more PT and found it, averaging 25+ mpg the last two years. On next year's squad, he'd be competing for minutes at the 3/4 with at minimum the incoming freshman class (of which Mgbako is penciled in as a starter), and potentially returnees like Mark. Unless we lose more than we expect to the draft, it'd be hard to see Brakefield getting 25+ mpg in a Duke uniform.

Then again, if he's learned in his time at Ole Miss that he may not be an NBA guy, perhaps he'd want to use his final two years of eligibility (remembering the COVID year) to make good NIL money and be a part of winner. You never know!
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

I've heard rumors on other sites that a) Duke has some backup plans in mind if Flip does depart and b) they may involve one or the other centers from UConn. I don't know much about either but people seem to think that at least would be a good replacement.

Regardless, it will be a couple of weeks at least before we know who will be returning and who will be the best options in the portal. Still a lot of basketball left for some teams (hopefully DUKE!!).

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I've heard rumors on other sites that a) Duke has some backup plans in mind if Flip does depart and b) they may involve one or the other centers from UConn. I don't know much about either but people seem to think that at least would be a good replacement.

Regardless, it will be a couple of weeks at least before we know who will be returning and who will be the best options in the portal. Still a lot of basketball left for some teams (hopefully DUKE!!).
    I would venture to say it's going to be much longer than a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Then again, if he's [Brakefield] learned in his time at Ole Miss that he may not be an NBA guy, perhaps he'd want to use his final two years of eligibility (remembering the COVID year) to make good NIL money and be a part of winner. You never know!
    I need some clarification on which class still gets the extra (Covid) year. I thought the extra year was for players who played in the 2019-20 season. That would include this year’s (2022-23) seniors, but not juniors.

Specifically, Brakefield was a junior this season; his first season, at Duke, was 2020-21.

Have I got this right or wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I need some clarification on which class still gets the extra (Covid) year. I thought the extra year was for players who played in the 2019-20 season. That would include this year’s (2022-23) seniors, but not juniors.

Specifically, Brakefield was a junior this season; his first season, at Duke, was 2020-21.

Have I got this right or wrong?
    Anyone who played in the 2020-21 season gets the extra year. The 2020 season that ended abruptly when conference tournaments and the NCAA tourney were cancelled does not get a new year but the 2021 guys do.

So, that would include Roach, Brakefield, and Henry Coleman. Each of those guys still has 2 years of eligibility left.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?