Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2023 Transfer Portal

Not sure if we'd be interested in adding a center via the portal this year, or if he'd be the kind of guy we'd be interested in, but you never know. TCU wide body Eddie Lampkin is entering the portal. Claimed Coach Dixon used racial language and that's why he left the team.

Has UNC’s whole team entered the portal yet, excluding those out of eligibility? I learned on IC yesterday that they passed on the NIT because everyone is leaving and Hubert needs to get busy bringing in new portal studs to get them back on top zippy fast.

Has a transfer ever returned to their previous school? Brakefield's tweet praising Scheyer sure seemed like a wink that I'd like to come back. I wonder if he would fit in with next year's crew?

Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    Has a transfer ever returned to their previous school? Brakefield's tweet praising Scheyer sure seemed like a wink that I'd like to come back. I wonder if he would fit in with next year's crew?
    I believe Qudus Wahab transferred from Georgetown after the 2020-21 season to Maryland and then back to Georgetown for this past season.

As much as I would and Duke fans would like to have Flip back, I think it's going to be tough for him to resist pursuing his NBA dream. All players have room to grow and their will always be some kind of debate about if a player should return to improve their skills or is the professional route the best way to improve.

Duke with Flip has Reeves (no one knows what to expect from his contribution next season), Young and an undersized incoming Fr to man the 5. Is that sufficient? Maybe, if Flip is asked to play more minutes as the 5 next season.
    Duke without Flip, will for sure need more depth at the 5. Mitchell, Mac, Powers and Stewart can all provide minutes at the 4 but the depth and/or production at the 5 will be questionable without another 5.

We are all in the wait and see mode for after the season departures. Not only is there questions about who declares for the league but also are players such as Reeves, Schutt, and Blakes going to be patient enough to stick it out another year.

When looking or projecting the roster for next season, Duke appears to be stacked with talent (again(. With Flip this year could be a contender to cut down the nets next March. Without him, Duke will need to land a legit 5 to be in that same discussion or Reeves would have to make a huge jump.

Quote Originally Posted by KKDL19 View Post
    As much as I would and Duke fans would like to have Flip back, I think it's going to be tough for him to resist pursuing his NBA dream. All players have room to grow and their will always be some kind of debate about if a player should return to improve their skills or is the professional route the best way to improve.

Duke with Flip has Reeves (no one knows what to expect from his contribution next season), Young and an undersized incoming Fr to man the 5. Is that sufficient? Maybe, if Flip is asked to play more minutes as the 5 next season.
    Duke without Flip, will for sure need more depth at the 5. Mitchell, Mac, Powers and Stewart can all provide minutes at the 4 but the depth and/or production at the 5 will be questionable without another 5.

We are all in the wait and see mode for after the season departures. Not only is there questions about who declares for the league but also are players such as Reeves, Schutt, and Blakes going to be patient enough to stick it out another year.

When looking or projecting the roster for next season, Duke appears to be stacked with talent (again(. With Flip this year could be a contender to cut down the nets next March. Without him, Duke will need to land a legit 5 to be in that same discussion or Reeves would have to make a huge jump.
    Reeves does not look lost out there. I think he has some Mark Williams in him and just needs a summer of work. He could be a big surprise next year

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Reeves does not look lost out there. I think he has some Mark Williams in him and just needs a summer of work. He could be a big surprise next year
    I thought he looked really good in his minutes against Pitt. Not that he should start or anything, but his performance made me wonder why he hasn't seen spot minutes here and there during the season, especially in situations where Ryan Young would be an undersized 5.
    Trinity '09

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    While I'd love Brakefield back, I'm not sure it'd make a whole lot of sense. He left to pursue more PT and found it, averaging 25+ mpg the last two years. On next year's squad, he'd be competing for minutes at the 3/4 with at minimum the incoming freshman class (of which Mgbako is penciled in as a starter), and potentially returnees like Mark. Unless we lose more than we expect to the draft, it'd be hard to see Brakefield getting 25+ mpg in a Duke uniform.

Then again, if he's learned in his time at Ole Miss that he may not be an NBA guy, perhaps he'd want to use his final two years of eligibility (remembering the COVID year) to make good NIL money and be a part of winner. You never know!
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

I've heard rumors on other sites that a) Duke has some backup plans in mind if Flip does depart and b) they may involve one or the other centers from UConn. I don't know much about either but people seem to think that at least would be a good replacement.

Regardless, it will be a couple of weeks at least before we know who will be returning and who will be the best options in the portal. Still a lot of basketball left for some teams (hopefully DUKE!!).

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I've heard rumors on other sites that a) Duke has some backup plans in mind if Flip does depart and b) they may involve one or the other centers from UConn. I don't know much about either but people seem to think that at least would be a good replacement.

Regardless, it will be a couple of weeks at least before we know who will be returning and who will be the best options in the portal. Still a lot of basketball left for some teams (hopefully DUKE!!).
    I would venture to say it's going to be much longer than a couple weeks.

Seems pretty random. Why would these kids enter the portal and why would Duke be interested in them. Did Duke show interest in either as High Schoolers? I wish Duke would go international for their bigs.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

I'd be curious if these are "insider *wink wink*" style rumors or just chatter, because I'm not so sure anyone in the portal will improve on the potential combo of a sixth-year Ryan Young, a sophomore Christian Reeves, and Sean Stewart occasionally sliding over to a small-ball 5. Especially with Jon explicitly saying in recent weeks that he wants to generate year-to-year continuity, taking a transfer in that would, at bare minimum, take Reeves' minutes seems like an odd choice, especially viewed alongside additional data points: 1) Duke backed off of JP Estrella in the Class of 2023, and 2) Reeves and the staff agreed to burn his redshirt. All signs are that the staff would be happy with a Young/Reeves/Stewart combo at the 5 next year if option A, which is obviously a sophomore Kyle, doesn't happen.

That said, I'm not going to think about this for another second until our season is over, because it's time to enjoy March
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I'd be curious if these are "insider *wink wink*" style rumors or just chatter, because I'm not so sure anyone in the portal will improve on the potential combo of a sixth-year Ryan Young, a sophomore Christian Reeves, and Sean Stewart occasionally sliding over to a small-ball 5. Especially with Jon explicitly saying in recent weeks that he wants to generate year-to-year continuity, taking a transfer in that would, at bare minimum, take Reeves' minutes seems like an odd choice, especially viewed alongside additional data points: 1) Duke backed off of JP Estrella in the Class of 2023, and 2) Reeves and the staff agreed to burn his redshirt. All signs are that the staff would be happy with a Young/Reeves/Stewart combo at the 5 next year if option A, which is obviously a sophomore Kyle, doesn't happen.

That said, I'm not going to think about this for another second until our season is over, because it's time to enjoy March
    Some fans think Reeves will start at C next year but I'm not buying it. If he's not even in the rotation this year I have a hard time seeing him getting starter minutes next year. How likely is it that Stewart will start? Is he comparable to the Miami C?

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Some fans think Reeves will start at C next year but I'm not buying it. If he's not even in the rotation this year I have a hard time seeing him getting starter minutes next year. How likely is it that Stewart will start? Is he comparable to the Miami C?
    He may not start next year, but I wouldn't write him off on the basis of playing time this season. We have an absolutely loaded front court with Flip, Lively, and Young. There just aren't minutes for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    He may not start next year, but I wouldn't write him off on the basis of playing time this season. We have an absolutely loaded front court with Flip, Lively, and Young. There just aren't minutes for all.
    I'm trying to think of non rotation players at Duke who started the next year. I can't come up with any but I'd imagine there may be a few.

I'm trying to think of non rotation players at Duke who started the next year. I can't come up with any but I'd imagine there may be a few.
    I don’t think the OP was suggesting Reeves will start, just that we should not assume he will be out of the rotation next year based on his being out of the rotation this year.

But you raise a good question. I was thinking maybe Tyler Thornton — I didn’t remember him getting much playing time his first year — but he logged 10 minutes a game in 2010-2011 and started three.

Reeves usually does something positive and productive when he comes in. However we can't expect every young 7 footer to be as athletic as Mark Williams and Dereck Lively and Reeves may take a while for his footwork to develop. Maybe a 12-15 minute a game player next year.

Matt Jones
    Ryan Kelly

It doesn’t happen all that often though.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Matt Jones
    Ryan Kelly

It doesn’t happen all that often though.
    I feel like Jack White fits somewhere in here. Jack becoming a rotation player seemed unlikely until he was one.