Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2023 NCAA Tournament Map

We've done this in the past four years (in which tournaments were held - although for, um, reasons last year's somehow went unfinished). The more detailed explanation is in the 2018 thread, but the general principle is that each county in the country is assigned to the 68 NCAA tournament teams by geographic proximity (distance from home arena to geographic center of the county) and then the map consolidates as the games are played (winning team takes losing team's land). Only two sets of adjacent territory games in the first round, both in the West region (although one of those is in the northeast of the county): Connecticut-Iona, and TCU against whoever wins ASU-Nevada (technically, TCU is only adjacent to Arizona State - and only along a small sliver of land in northern New Mexico - but whoever wins the play-in game will own the land regardless). Will update this periodically, but hopefully no less often than the conclusion of a day of games.

Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    We've done this in the past four years (in which tournaments were held - although for, um, reasons last year's somehow went unfinished). The more detailed explanation is in the 2018 thread, but the general principle is that each county in the country is assigned to the 68 NCAA tournament teams by geographic proximity (distance from home arena to geographic center of the county) and then the map consolidates as the games are played (winning team takes losing team's land). Only two sets of adjacent territory games in the first round, both in the West region (although one of those is in the northeast of the county): Connecticut-Iona, and TCU against whoever wins ASU-Nevada (technically, TCU is only adjacent to Arizona State - and only along a small sliver of land in northern New Mexico - but whoever wins the play-in game will own the land regardless). Will update this periodically, but hopefully no less often than the conclusion of a day of games.

Thanks I enjoy this map and it’s evolution. I see Creighton light blue but map is missing light blue in the SE.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Thanks I enjoy this map and it’s evolution. I see Creighton light blue but map is missing light blue in the SE.
    Thanks for doing this again, and really nice to see Duke blue covering a bit more of the Triangle to start out!

One of my favorite annual threads. Thanks for doing this again this season! I look forward to seeing a bit more dark blue out there as the tourney progresses.

Wait. Where's UNC?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Wait. Where's UNC?
    This map does not include Hell

Can we play this like a game of Risk and just take over Tennessee's space?

It's funny how this shakes out for certain schools that are close to each other.

Texas Southern is literally across the street from the University of Houston.

What are the Pantone numbers for Duke (287), UNC-A, and Kentucky? Hard to tell where one blue ends and another begins.

Map after play-in day 1, with a 1-0 ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    What are the Pantone numbers for Duke (287), UNC-A, and Kentucky? Hard to tell where one blue ends and another begins.
    As long as there's no Pantone 278, I'm happy.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Reduced to 64, with Duke alums going 2-for-2 so far:

End of day 1 - appreciate the orange in the southwest; also, the map has lots of purple.

Yesterday, Oklahoma. Tomorrow, Louisiana (and something a bit farther east, of course).

Chess pieces into Indiana calls for a mid-day map update!

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Chess pieces into Indiana calls for a mid-day map update!

Lots of light blue now in North Carolina

First round in the books. Lots and lots of purple in the West.

In terms of abutting territories tomorrow, Furman and San Diego State will consolidate the SC coast (land originally belonging to Charleston), Arkansas and Kansas border each other in SW Missouri/SE Kansas, and Texas and Penn State border each other in both locations (in Texas via Texas A&M's land, and in NY/PA via Colgate's).

The map doesn’t reflect this, but I am forcing Duke fandom upon as much of Orange County, CA as I can.
    No soup for you!

From a purely aesthetic point of view lets hope Xavier and Creighton lose in round 2.

Now that Vermont belongs to Marquette, I can note that the only Marquette fan I've ever met here was the father of Duke's famous Caldbeck brothers who played there way back when.