Page 42 of 56 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
    UNC 2024 recruit Elliot Cadeau has reclassified and will join the TarHeels right away.

https://twitter.com/ElliotCadeau/sta...46085653245956

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...u-enroll-early

He will now have the option to enter the 2024 NBA draft, should he choose.

"I think I'm ready," Cadeau said. "I think that I can play in college in a couple of months. There's no reason to stay in high school, because I can hang with college players right now."

Cadeau is coming off an outstanding season in which he proved to be arguably the best point guard in high school basketball, helping Link Academy win the Geico national championship and then leading the Nike EYBL in assists by a wide margin with 9.3 per game. He's guided his New Heights Lightning team to a 13-4 record, posting 29 points and 15 assists in what proved to be his final grassroots game Monday.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    UNC 2024 recruit Elliot Cadeau has reclassified and will join the TarHeels right away.

https://twitter.com/ElliotCadeau/sta...46085653245956

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...u-enroll-early
    Cadeau is a fabulous prospect and a great pass-first PG... but at 6-1, 165 (when dripping wet) he could be a tough fit alongside 6-0, 175 PG RJ Davis on the defensive end of the floor. What's more, Davis and Cadeau would seem to be guys who operate best with the ball in their hands. Last I checked, there is only 1 ball on the court at a time.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Cadeau is a great passer but as Jason said he's small. Defensively he and Davis are tiny and then you add Cormac Ryan at the 3 who is 6'5 195 and not exactly known as a lockdown defender. They'll score a lot of points but give up just as much on the other end.

Also they jettisoned Caleb Love so that Davis could play the point, but now they're moving Davis back to the 2. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Cadeau is a fabulous prospect and a great pass-first PG... but at 6-1, 165 (when dripping wet) he could be a tough fit alongside 6-0, 175 PG RJ Davis on the defensive end of the floor. What's more, Davis and Cadeau would seem to be guys who operate best with the ball in their hands. Last I checked, there is only 1 ball on the court at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Cadeau is a great passer but as Jason said he's small. Defensively he and Davis are tiny and then you add Cormac Ryan at the 3 who is 6'5 195 and not exactly known as a lockdown defender. They'll score a lot of points but give up just as much on the other end.

Also they jettisoned Caleb Love so that Davis could play the point, but now they're moving Davis back to the 2. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.
    This is fascinating to me, and seems like a huge overreaction by UNC to losing GG last year. Yes, if Cadeau was dead-set on reclassing and UNC didn't have the PT for him, losing him would be a bad look in light of losing GG last year. But like Jason and UC, I just don't see the fit here at all, especially with how Hubert had admirably reshaped his roster via the transfer portal. The pieces he brought in fit, at least on paper, with the lead duo of Davis and Bacot. But Cadeau's fit alongside Davis is a huge question mark.

If Cadeau is OK being a sixth man or he plans on being in school two years this might make more sense... but I see no evidence that's the case. In fact, given the perceived weakness of the 2024 draft class, this decision seems to only make sense if he plans on being OAD, which means he plans on getting to showcase himself with major minutes.

This undoubtedly makes UNC more talented this upcoming season, and perhaps that's a good thing for the strength of the ACC. But it wouldn't surprise me if perhaps they start out fast, but as teams learn how to exploit a Davis/Cadeau combo defensively they tail off. All the scouting on Cadeau seems to emphasize that he's a pass-first guy with a decent shot that's never emphasized as a strength, so I'm not sure how he'll help with the floor spacing issues that plagued UNC last year.

Finally, one has to wonder how a guy like Seth Trimble feels about this. How is he going to get minutes this year now that Cadeau is on the roster?

Cadeau may make UNC better in the short term, but it could be the very short term (i.e., only part of the 2023-24 season), and makes their 2024 outlook much cloudier assuming he's OAD.

EDIT: Cadeau didn't just say the quiet part out loud in the ESPN article, he shouted it:

"My goal was always to be one and done," he said. "Reclassing doesn't change that. It's definitely my end goal -- to be in the draft as soon as possible -- but this takes pressure off me to be one and done and gives me the option of staying two years if needed."
    He maybe leaves he door slightly ajar for a two year Tar Heel career, but barely. I have zero problem with guys wanting and planning to be OAD, but one can't help but contrast this to Tyrese Proctor, for instance.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Yup

It also takes away some shooting from their starting 5 as Cadeau isn't known to own a reliable jumper.

And no way he's a one-n-done type of player. The class he was in was trending as a down year for talent.

If anything it helps UNC for the following year assuming he sticks around but I don't think this moves the needle in a significant direction for them for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    This is fascinating to me, and seems like a huge overreaction by UNC to losing GG last year. Yes, if Cadeau was dead-set on reclassing and UNC didn't have the PT for him, losing him would be a bad look in light of losing GG last year. But like Jason and UC, I just don't see the fit here at all, especially with how Hubert had admirably reshaped his roster via the transfer portal. The pieces he brought in fit, at least on paper, with the lead duo of Davis and Bacot. But Cadeau's fit alongside Davis is a huge question mark.

If Cadeau is OK being a sixth man or he plans on being in school two years this might make more sense... but I see no evidence that's the case. In fact, given the perceived weakness of the 2024 draft class, this decision seems to only make sense if he plans on being OAD, which means he plans on getting to showcase himself with major minutes.

This undoubtedly makes UNC more talented this upcoming season, and perhaps that's a good thing for the strength of the ACC. But it wouldn't surprise me if perhaps they start out fast, but as teams learn how to exploit a Davis/Cadeau combo defensively they tail off. All the scouting on Cadeau seems to emphasize that he's a pass-first guy with a decent shot that's never emphasized as a strength, so I'm not sure how he'll help with the floor spacing issues that plagued UNC last year.

Finally, one has to wonder how a guy like Seth Trimble feels about this. How is he going to get minutes this year now that Cadeau is on the roster?

Cadeau may make UNC better in the short term, but it could be the very short term (i.e., only part of the 2023-24 season), and makes their 2024 outlook much cloudier assuming he's OAD.

EDIT: Cadeau didn't just say the quiet part out loud in the ESPN article, he shouted it:

He maybe leaves he door slightly ajar for a two year Tar Heel career, but barely. I have zero problem with guys wanting and planning to be OAD, but one can't help but contrast this to Tyrese Proctor, for instance.
    Who is GG? I doubt that most of us keep up with UNcheat to the degree that we recognize former players by their initials.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    ... assuming he's OAD.
    Aren't UNC and OAD mutually exclusive? Or is it a plan versus reality thingy?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Who is GG? I doubt that most of us keep up with UNcheat to the degree that we recognize former players by their initials.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._G._Jackson

247 slotted Cadeau at #12 for 2023 which is higher than any Duke recruit. He definitely seems like a OAD candidate but he could be doing what Proctor did with his reclass.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    Yup

It also takes away some shooting from their starting 5 as Cadeau isn't known to own a reliable jumper.

And no way he's a one-n-done type of player. The class he was in was trending as a down year for talent.

If anything it helps UNC for the following year assuming he sticks around but I don't think this moves the needle in a significant direction for them for this season.
    It's also the case that the type of player he is is not highly valued in the NBA today. He's an undersized PG with questionable shooting. The NBA wants multi-positional defenders or you have to be elite at scoring the ball. Kennedy Chandler from Tennessee was a similar size to Cadeau and went 38th in the NBA Draft in '22. Chandler was considered the top overall PG in the Class of 2021 and was a consensus top-10 player. That was a deep class with Chet Holmgren, Paolo Banchero, and Jabari Smith leading the class. The Class of 2023 is considered weak by comparison. 247 Sports has Cadeau as the #12 player in the class, but he is behind at least two other PGs in Isaiah Collier (USC) and DJ Wagner (Kentucky). Cadeau is going to have to seriously impress with his ability to score and defend to overcome his physical limitations. Can he do that having to share the ball with RJ Davis?

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    247 slotted Cadeau at #12 for 2023 which is higher than any Duke recruit. He definitely seems like a OAD candidate but he could be doing what Proctor did with his reclass.
    He's ranked essentially the same as McCain who is not considered a one-n-done type of prospect.

And what makes Proctor such a great NBA PG prospect is due to his height and length, something Cadeau will never have.

Don't get me wrong, he's fantastic prospect but he's a multi-year guy that'll need to develop a jumpshot and pack on about 15 lbs to get drafted in the first round.

Cadeau is a true gift.

I was very impressed with Cadeau at the GEICOs. A real PG, excellent vision and passing, as his assist numbers suggest. He moves them up a couple of notches in the ACC.

Glad the Heels, Clemson, and Miami all play each other twice this season, as those 3 seem likely/plausible ACC top 4. Duke plays Clemson and Miami each only once next season.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Cadeau is a true gift.
    ^I see what you did there

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I was very impressed with Cadeau at the GEICOs. A real PG, excellent vision and passing, as his assist numbers suggest. He moves them up a couple of notches in the ACC.

Glad the Heels, Clemson, and Miami all play each other twice this season, as those 3 seem likely/plausible ACC top 4. Duke plays Clemson and Miami each only once next season.
    t
    I agree. I get the questions it presents for them defensively, but having an elite facilitator at the point really raises the ceiling (roof?) for this UNC team, even if his shooting is erratic. I suspect Bacot won't rank 3d on this team in FGA per game and that he and Cadeau could be lethal in the pick and roll.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    He's ranked essentially the same as McCain who is not considered a one-n-done type of prospect.

And what makes Proctor such a great NBA PG prospect is due to his height and length, something Cadeau will never have.

Don't get me wrong, he's fantastic prospect but he's a multi-year guy that'll need to develop a jumpshot and pack on about 15 lbs to get drafted in the first round.
    Well I said candidate not sure fire OAD. However, McCain is more of SG and at 6’2” is on the small side for the NBA. True PGs are more rare and Cadeau is not too small by NBA standards.

I don't have a link, but the internet is blowing up with Caleb Love to Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I don't have a link,

but the internet is blowing up with Caleb Love to Arizona.
    Must not be a big explosion.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Must not be a big explosion.
    I think folks here follow UNC off-season moves nearly as closely as Duke ones.

Here you go

Heels may be tough next year. It will make Duke victories all the more sweet.