Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    What are the rules for recruiting someone who has committed already?

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    My understanding is that all is fair until the player signs a national letter of intent. Most coaches back off once a player verbally commits. In college football, a verbal commitment is essentially meaningless to other teams. It tends to hold more weight in the minds of college coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    It's getting smoky over in Chapel Hill

https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/stat...14899575578630

I don't think this changes much for UNC's prospects for 2023-24 one way or another. The Heels have PT and a marquee name.to offer portal players. They'll get a few guys and should be at least a bubble team next season.
    Well, there is also this...

But then again, why would Pitino make a visit if he did not think there was room to perhaps sway Jackson into coming to St Johns instead? Plus, all the people around Jackson are, of course, going to say he is 100% committed... right up until the moment he isn't
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

My understanding is that all is fair until the player signs a national letter of intent. Most coaches back off once a player verbally commits. In college football, a verbal commitment is essentially meaningless to other teams. It tends to hold more weight in the minds of college coaches.
    I see. Thought I'd ask because we know Pitino is such a stickler for the rules...

Pretty sure GG Jackson put out something last year saying he was fully committed to UNC after the rumors started.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

But then again, why would Pitino make a visit if he did not think there was room to perhaps sway Jackson into coming to St Johns instead? Plus, all the people around Jackson are, of course, going to say he is 100% committed... right up until the moment he isn't
    If I recall correctly, didn’t GG Jackson make similar sounding statements before his swap? Not saying they’re the same situation by any means, but you’re right that there is no incentive for them to say anything otherwise until something happens.

Also, FWIW I agree with you that we should be careful about preemptively “dancing on UNC’s grave.” Until we hear otherwise, right now Bacot is arguably the best returning player in the ACC, limitations and all. Hopefully we get our own good news soon that changes that (and I have to think the cosmic scales need to balance UNC’s luck at keeping him around 5 years with SOME good news for us, right?), but that’s still an unknown. UNC will, at minimum, be similar to the team that gave us two close games this year.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

The one thing a "commitment" is not is a commitment. The player surrenders nothing nor gives up any options for the future.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I see. Thought I'd ask because we know Pitino is such a stickler for the rules...

Pretty sure GG Jackson put out something last year saying he was fully committed to UNC after the rumors started.
    Ummm he put out something EXACTLY like this that he was fully committed...until he wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

I credit the IC staff for making the calls and talking to people close to Jackson. It could also be that the two sources, the AAU Coach and the player's own father are not the most, how shall I put this, vital sources at the moment. Pitino and his crew and the high school coaches may have a different perspective. I also doubt that the father would tell IC anything but the party line. I know less than anyone. But I do know that Andrew Slater tends to be in the loop about these sorts of things and that Pitino wouldn't schedule a visit to the kid's high school if he didn't think it was worth the trip.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by trinity79 View Post
    Most places he'd be fully vested in his 401k before 5 years.
    He might be older than Tyler Hansbrough was at the end of UNC career.

I credit the IC staff for making the calls and talking to people close to Jackson. It could also be that the two sources, the AAU Coach and the player's own father are not the most, how shall I put this, vital sources at the moment. Pitino and his crew and the high school coaches may have a different perspective. I also doubt that the father would tell IC anything but the party line. I know less than anyone. But I do know that Andrew Slater tends to be in the loop about these sorts of things and that Pitino wouldn't schedule a visit to the kid's high school if he didn't think it was worth the trip.
    Jackson's high school is almost literally halfway between Iona and St. John's - about half an hour from each. They have another junior who is verbally committed to Syracuse - it is one of the top programs in NY. If he could flip either of them, that's great, but regardless, it is a smart place for Pitino to visit as he tries to really lock down NYC recruiting and keep the top players home - I'm sure many more good players will come through there. And it was not a big investment of his time.

This is not to say whether or not Jackson might flip. I agree that I don't believe anything until a player is signed, and, better yet, on campus. But there could also be a lot more to it than just trying to flip Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Jackson's high school is almost literally halfway between Iona and St. John's - about half an hour from each. They have another junior who is verbally committed to Syracuse - it is one of the top programs in NY. If he could flip either of them, that's great, but regardless, it is a smart place for Pitino to visit as he tries to really lock down NYC recruiting and keep the top players home - I'm sure many more good players will come through there. And it was not a big investment of his time.

This is not to say whether or not Jackson might flip. I agree that I don't believe anything until a player is signed, and, better yet, on campus. But there could also be a lot more to it than just trying to flip Jackson.
    There's a ton of smoke around Jackson to St. John's here in NY. Being based in the Westchester area myself, I can attest that Pitino is hitting the NYC area schools hard. Very smart strategy. He was at Stepinac yesterday. Also, not well known, but Pitino's top assistant, Steve Massiello (former head coach at Manhattan), is best friends with Ian Jackson's head coach at Cardinal Hayes, Joe Lods.

When there is smoke, there's fire.

WRT GG Jackson last year - as I recall a big issue for him was that he wanted to reclassify from 2023 up to 2022 and UNC would not let him do that because their roster was already full (also Hubert as openly criticized the practice of reclassifying, we'll see if he goes back on that...) There have been rumors that Ian Jackson may also be interested in reclassifying up to 2023, and if so then I would think a lot hinges on what happens with RJ Davis and Caleb Love. If both return then I suppose Jackson could still come but it becomes a lot less appealing of a destination.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    He might be older than Tyler Hansbrough was at the end of UNC career.
    Older, but not as well-traveled.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    WRT GG Jackson last year - as I recall a big issue for him was that he wanted to reclassify from 2023 up to 2022 and UNC would not let him do that because their roster was already full (also Hubert as openly criticized the practice of reclassifying, we'll see if he goes back on that...) There have been rumors that Ian Jackson may also be interested in reclassifying up to 2023, and if so then I would think a lot hinges on what happens with RJ Davis and Caleb Love. If both return then I suppose Jackson could still come but it becomes a lot less appealing of a destination.
    If that's true, that's hilarious - the idea that they thought they wouldn't need any more good players last year.

Quote Originally Posted by trinity79 View Post
    Most places he'd be fully vested in his 401k before 5 years.
    Ha, funny but he really does need some tax planning.

Make sure he reports that NIL income; it's likely fully taxable and also subject to the Self-Employment Tax, which represents Social Security and Medicare taxes where the individual is paying both the employee and employer portion. That's 15.2% on the first $142,800 (that was for tax year 2021, so perhaps even higher). And regular Federal and NC income taxes apply too.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Ha, funny but he really does need some tax planning.

Make sure he reports that NIL income; it's likely fully taxable and also subject to the Self-Employment Tax, which represents Social Security and Medicare taxes where the individual is paying both the employee and employer portion. That's 15.2% on the first $142,800 (that was for tax year 2021, so perhaps even higher). And regular Federal and NC income taxes apply too.
    Had to pay self employment taxes on a Pfizer/Duke research study contract.
    Killer.

If that's true, that's hilarious - the idea that they thought they wouldn't need any more good players last year.
    I believe they were out of scholarships after Nance committed. They had to run of Kerwin Walton just to make room for him.

RJ announces that he will play his senior season at UNC. No surprises there.

https://twitter.com/ariidavis_/statu...cr_hslsevf0OxA

The biggest lingering questions relate to Love (almost certainly going somewhere) and if any of the other reserves go into the portal. Then, they will start landing guys through the portal.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    RJ announces that he will play his senior season at UNC. No surprises there.

https://twitter.com/ariidavis_/statu...cr_hslsevf0OxA

The biggest lingering questions relate to Love (almost certainly going somewhere) and if any of the other reserves go into the portal. Then, they will start landing guys through the portal.
    Ugh. I know people on the board were excited about UNC's core returning given their down year this year, but I for one am not one to gloat, nor forget what happened two seasons ago. UNC can still field a VERY good team with Bacot and Davis as the key cogs, especially given their experience.

I, for one, hope Love is gone, because again I haven't forgotten that he's just a year removed from "Duke killer" status. The prospect of facing 3 seniors (counting Bacot) that have that Final Four experience and have a chip on their shoulder after last season sounds like a recipe for disappointment on our end.

That said, it seems like the signs are pointing to Love leaving, and if so that means UNC will have to replace 3 starters plus their sixth man with an uninspiring group of returnees plus the portal. They could strike gold in the portal and be a Top 10 team, or strike out and struggle to make the tournament. Personally, I don't like that variance, and would've much rather seen Bacot and Davis move on so we knew UNC would be starting from scratch next year.

Man, I hope the cosmic scales even out and give US some good news on the returnee front for once after UNC has had a horseshoe up their you-know-what's in that regard the past few years.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Ugh. I know people on the board were excited about UNC's core returning given their down year this year, but I for one am not one to gloat, nor forget what happened two seasons ago. UNC can still field a VERY good team with Bacot and Davis as the key cogs, especially given their experience.

I, for one, hope Love is gone, because again I haven't forgotten that he's just a year removed from "Duke killer" status. The prospect of facing 3 seniors (counting Bacot) that have that Final Four experience and have a chip on their shoulder after last season sounds like a recipe for disappointment on our end.

That said, it seems like the signs are pointing to Love leaving, and if so that means UNC will have to replace 3 starters plus their sixth man with an uninspiring group of returnees plus the portal. They could strike gold in the portal and be a Top 10 team, or strike out and struggle to make the tournament. Personally, I don't like that variance, and would've much rather seen Bacot and Davis move on so we knew UNC would be starting from scratch next year.

Man, I hope the cosmic scales even out and give US some good news on the returnee front for once after UNC has had a horseshoe up their you-know-what's in that regard the past few years.
    Bacot and Davis set the floor for UNC in my mind. They will be in the top half of the ACC next season. The ceiling will be based on the portal. There's a spotty record, at best, with the portal for UNC and nationally. It's a big variable.