Page 20 of 56 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Davis makes sense as a likely returnee, but I feel like the NIL fairy would have to be very kind to Bacot for him to return, right? I mean, he looked miserable for most of this year, at least from my perspective through the TV. One has to think that even if he isn't going to be an NBA guy, he can have a good career playing overseas that he might want to start. Or at least that's my hope, because I don't relish teh thought of grinding my teeth through another season of him getting away with shoving guys out of the paint.
    I asked this about Keels' NIL potential in the Duke stay-or-go thread, and its just really frustrating to me that with all 10 million podcasts, youtube channels and social media info in the world of basketball no one seems to have an idea what the NIL money really is. I had heard a rumor that Bacot was getting over $1m, and many on this board disputed that figure as way too high, but do we have any idea what these numbers look like? Has anyone come forward yet with the terms of any deal?

Also, this is a very broad question that depends on which league and so forth, but what kind of salary might Bacot be looking at overseas? If he's undrafted and tries to tough it out in the G-League he's probably only getting ~$40k. I just feel like having a some numbers would really illuminate some of these discussions.
    Trinity '09

Quote Originally Posted by CrazieDUMB View Post
    I asked this about Keels' NIL potential in the Duke stay-or-go thread, and its just really frustrating to me that with all 10 million podcasts, youtube channels and social media info in the world of basketball no one seems to have an idea what the NIL money really is. I had heard a rumor that Bacot was getting over $1m, and many on this board disputed that figure as way too high, but do we have any idea what these numbers look like? Has anyone come forward yet with the terms of any deal?

Also, this is a very broad question that depends on which league and so forth, but what kind of salary might Bacot be looking at overseas? If he's undrafted and tries to tough it out in the G-League he's probably only getting ~$40k. I just feel like having a some numbers would really illuminate some of these discussions.
    You can run with the million number. It was silly but silly money has been out there for the right names. Things are in such flux that I don't think "knowing" anything really helps you right now, it could be vastly different tomorrow.

You are spot on with the G-league. Many schools base salary/NIL approaches the G-league. Ok money for a 20 year old with few options. What is between 40k and $1mln...who knows. Go ask an agent.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazieDUMB View Post

Well, much like many business deals, the parties to the deals have zero incentive to make the details public. That's likely why you don't get details about NIL deals.

The first and (I believe) only time we got confirmed details about a NIL deal was when Miami booster John Ruiz announced that his company, Lifewallet, was paying Nigel Pack $800,000 to play basketball for Hurricanes for the next two years. Ruiz and Pack took a lot of heat for the announcement, as it sure appeared to be a direct pay-for-play kind of deal that was seen as bending or breaking the rules (quite different from legitimate endorsement deals like the TV commercials, apparel, and social media endorsements that we see all over the place these days).

What's more, almost immediately after that announcement, Isiah Wong went public with complaints that his deal wasn't as lucrative as Pack's. Ruiz said he would not renegotiate with Wong and, for a brief period of time, it looks like Miami might lose Wong in a fight over NIL deals among teammates. Eventually, Wong and Ruiz came to some kind of agreement and now Wong and Pack make up one of the best backcourts in the country.

Needless to say, it is not hard to see why no one wants to go public with the more shady NIL deals. I suppose it is possible some details from some other deal will slip through the cracks but I do not find it at all surprising that NIL deals remain mostly secrative.

Lastly, it is my understanding that projections of $500k+ NIL deals being commonplace is not happening. But there are a pretty decent number of players who can get something in the neighborhood of $150-$300k to play hoops or football, including a number of names that would be very familiar to everyone on the board.

-Jason "as regards to your question about G-League salary... I suspect that even if he went undrafted Bacot could probably land a 2-way deal that would pay him a little more than $500k, at least for one year" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Puff puff pass
    Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    He is definitely screwing up the rotation...
    Not surprised that he appears to not be coming back. If he can't stay uninjured and contribute more, he won't be bogarting rotation minutes that's for sure. Whatever happens though, I'd love to see their season go up in smoke. However, I can't imagine it being any worse than the glorious 2001-2002 8-20 (4-12 ACC) season, as that set an awfully high bar for ineptitude.

I find something odd about Duke fans wanting Caleb Love to come back to UNC. Has everybody buried it so deep we don't remember what Love did in the Final Four against us? 28 points and the big three at the end.

So let's encourage him to transfer. To stir things up a bit, who knows, Jon and his coaches might be just what Caleb needs to become an All-ACC player!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I find something odd about Duke fans wanting Caleb Love to come back to UNC. Has everybody buried it so deep we don't remember what Love did in the Final Four against us? 28 points and the big three at the end.

So let's encourage him to transfer. To stir things up a bit, who knows, Jon and his coaches might be just what Caleb needs to become an All-ACC player!
    Every UNC fan I know would prefer to have Puff than Caleb. But that's a very low bar.

Love is persona non grata in Chapel Hill.

Bacot officially returning for his 5th and final year.

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/sta...n7Z35YJV_Hcw-Q

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Every UNC fan I know would prefer to have Puff than Caleb. But that's a very low bar.

Love is persona non grata in Chapel Hill.
    Because he's toxic. And anything that screws with their chemistry is good for Duke fans.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post

Dammit, DBA... you keep on beating me by seconds!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Dammit, DBA... you keep on beating me by seconds!
    Been a slow day

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Well... crap. Say what you will about him and this season, but this undoubtedly makes them better next year, and continues UNC's streak of having a horseshoe up you-know-where in keeping guys around.

Hopefully the rapid increase in news we've seen today means we get some, hopefully good, in the not too distant future.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Well... crap. Say what you will about him and this season, but this undoubtedly makes them better next year, and continues UNC's streak of having a horseshoe up you-know-where in keeping guys around.

Hopefully the rapid increase in news we've seen today means we get some, hopefully good, in the not too distant future.
    Yeah, that really sucks. Was so hoping he would get out of Dodge. This absolutely helps them in a huge way.

Eh. They went to the NIT with him one year, lost in the first round in another, and would have missed the tournament altogether in another. Bacot’s a very good player and seemingly a high-character guy, but he’s injury-prone and a difficult guy to build a team around.

The cynic in me says its easy to stay when you're not wanted anywhere else.

I don't see why people are surprised by this in the slightest. He isn't an NBA talent. He's a dang good college talent. He can probably make more NIL money than playing in Eastern Europe or something.

I fully expected him to return. And really, outside of them being rivals, his return is good for college basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Yeah, that really sucks. Was so hoping he would get out of Dodge. This absolutely helps them in a huge way.
    They better get some perimeter shooting or he is wasting another year...

I don't know if getting Bacot and Davis back means all that much if you lose the rest of your team to graduation or the transfer portal. Duke can survive with 1 or 2 returning players because we bring in top talent every year. UNC will attempt to reload with mediocre freshmen and mediocre transfers. I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    They better get some perimeter shooting or he is wasting another year...
    For some definition of wasting. If he can make more in NIL money than in either the G-League or in Europe, what else should he do? He's probably not going to be drafted.

Bacot has nowhere to go. Color me not surprised. He's displayed 0 game outside of 5 feet from the basket...the NBA doesn't have room for that in today's game. Bacot and RJ Davis will form a solid 1-2 punch, probably better than most in the ACC.

Puff the Magic Transfer!