Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546
Results 901 to 906 of 906
  1. #901
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    Ant Wright is pretty legit (I highly recommend his Filipowski's highschool scouting report). And looks like everyone's responses to the tweet seem to indicate that Ian Jackson will be reclassifying.

    Jackson would be another fascinating addition. He's another dude that absolutely needs the ball in his hands to be successful as he hasn't shown too much of a consistent 3 ball. It would give them a fantastic wing option but pairing him with Cadeau is not gonna yield high shooting percentages from deep.

    But definitely improves their ceiling/roof.
    Are you sure? What I saw from both sources was regarding another DEcommitment.
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

  2. #902
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Are you sure? What I saw from both sources was regarding another DEcommitment.
    I assume the decommitment will be related to Jackson's arrival.

  3. #903
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    FWIW, and take it with the massive grain of salt you should with any Twitter reporting… but Ant Wright, a legit CBB journalist who like Andrew Slater likes to make not so vague hints at things he knows on Twitter recently implied that there may be more departures from this Tar Heels recruiting class.

    Again, it’s a “Twitter insider,” but one with a track record and the follower numbers to back it up. Apply your own critical thinking skills and draw whatever conclusions you see fit.

    https://twitter.com/itsantwright/sta...cT35mxugtfMCvw
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    It's not just Ant Wright and Slater. This Trilly Donovan character, who is also prone to cryptic posts like Andrew Slater, has hinted the same thing. Donovan and Slater must see eye-to-eye because they have exchanged open nods at each other about this situation and others. Other would-be public insiders are also nodding in agreement. It'll be interesting to see if another recruit begs out of their commitment and what that might mean for the UNC coaching staff.
    To me, this still falls well into the city limits of Rumorville (established in 1758 by the Brits, who called it "Rumourville"). It's interesting, no doubt, and I've read similar stuff in other places. But until fantasy becomes reported fact, I don't feel comfortable spreading it in a public forum that frowns upon rumors of any form, even the fun kind that brings us closer to Schadenfreude (a nearby German village, established in 1843).

    I check Trilly Donovan's Twitter account regularly. It's the junk food part of my website rotation. One recent accusation is that Trilly and other anonymous insiders are subscribing to premium ($) fan sites and bulletin boards, and just repeating what they've read there in some cryptic language. That theory has some appeal. Which is more likely: an anonymous insider that is tuned in to almost every major college basketball program, or a pretender who corrals all the inside information available from other sites? Put another way: if it's Summer 2022 and you know that Tyrese Proctor is reclassifying soon, do you whisper that to a Duke insider or a general insider?

    The obsession with Trilly Donovan by traditional reporters is one of the weirdest developments I've seen this offseason. You have a ton of speculation about who Trilly Donovan really is (if it's not Mark Titus, certainly his Club Trillion inspired the name), the increasing mentions of Trilly Donovan in regular reporting, and even people like Andrew Slater openly dipping into the hints/rumors business. It's getting increasingly difficult to keep these worlds separate, and at some point the DBR moderators are going to have to decide how to handle the fun rumor phenomenon.

    Until then, this is my policy: I don't mention anything I've read from Trilly Donovan in the forums until it's been officially reported as right (or wrong). I have a terrific screenshot of a hilarious Trilly tweet that I'm saving for when the issue becomes settled, or moot.

    Edited to add: I see more rumors flying as I was writing this post. Great.

  4. #904
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    To me, this still falls well into the city limits of Rumorville (established in 1758 by the Brits, who called it "Rumourville"). It's interesting, no doubt, and I've read similar stuff in other places. But until fantasy becomes reported fact, I don't feel comfortable spreading it in a public forum that frowns upon rumors of any form, even the fun kind that brings us closer to Schadenfreude (a nearby German village, established in 1843).

    I check Trilly Donovan's Twitter account regularly. It's the junk food part of my website rotation. One recent accusation is that Trilly and other anonymous insiders are subscribing to premium ($) fan sites and bulletin boards, and just repeating what they've read there in some cryptic language. That theory has some appeal. Which is more likely: an anonymous insider that is tuned in to almost every major college basketball program, or a pretender who corrals all the inside information available from other sites? Put another way: if it's Summer 2022 and you know that Tyrese Proctor is reclassifying soon, do you whisper that to a Duke insider or a general insider?

    The obsession with Trilly Donovan by traditional reporters is one of the weirdest developments I've seen this offseason. You have a ton of speculation about who Trilly Donovan really is (if it's not Mark Titus, certainly his Club Trillion inspired the name), the increasing mentions of Trilly Donovan in regular reporting, and even people like Andrew Slater openly dipping into the hints/rumors business. It's getting increasingly difficult to keep these worlds separate, and at some point the DBR moderators are going to have to decide how to handle the fun rumor phenomenon.

    Until then, this is my policy: I don't mention anything I've read from Trilly Donovan in the forums until it's been officially reported as right (or wrong). I have a terrific screenshot of a hilarious Trilly tweet that I'm saving for when the issue becomes settled, or moot.

    Edited to add: I see more rumors flying as I was writing this post. Great.
    I feel you brevÖ Twitter journalism is a weird new space. For me, I think itís on the right side of the rumor line if you source the the tweet, do some confirmation and rational thinking re: the source, and provide the necessary caveats. Saying what Ant Wright reported is different than a rando with 100 followers. But Iím open to being told Iím wrong by my fellow mods.
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

  5. #905
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I feel you brevÖ Twitter journalism is a weird new space. For me, I think itís on the right side of the rumor line if you source the the tweet, do some confirmation and rational thinking re: the source, and provide the necessary caveats. Saying what Ant Wright reported is different than a rando with 100 followers. But Iím open to being told Iím wrong by my fellow mods.
    Is there a right side to a rumor line? Isn't it still just a well-sourced rumor? Something to ponder.

    What's being said right now about Ian Jackson feels wrong to me, even if you and dukelion have read it in multiple places. I've read it too. We can talk about Simeon Wilcher's decommitment now that it's happened, and to my knowledge, it went straight from vague fan supposition to fact. I've been paying enough attention since Elliot Cadeau reclassed, and while Trilly and the others talked about UNC, they never got involved in any Wilcher discussion.

    The Duke equivalent is obvious: Mackenzie Mgbako decommitted about 30 minutes after Kyle Filipowski's return was announced, so there was never a time for vague fan supposition ("I wonder if how the incoming freshmen will feel about their playing time if we get some guys to come back as sophomores") to become rumor. But when Jeremy Roach chose to withdraw from the draft, the Caleb Foster speculation went straight to rumor, discussed by anybody and everybody, and pretty much stayed that way until he came to Durham last week.

  6. #906
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Is there a right side to a rumor line? Isn't it still just a well-sourced rumor? Something to ponder.

    What's being said right now about Ian Jackson feels wrong to me, even if you and dukelion have read it in multiple places. I've read it too. We can talk about Simeon Wilcher's decommitment now that it's happened, and to my knowledge, it went straight from vague fan supposition to fact. I've been paying enough attention since Elliot Cadeau reclassed, and while Trilly and the others talked about UNC, they never got involved in any Wilcher discussion.

    The Duke equivalent is obvious: Mackenzie Mgbako decommitted about 30 minutes after Kyle Filipowski's return was announced, so there was never a time for vague fan supposition ("I wonder if how the incoming freshmen will feel about their playing time if we get some guys to come back as sophomores") to become rumor. But when Jeremy Roach chose to withdraw from the draft, the Caleb Foster speculation went straight to rumor, discussed by anybody and everybody, and pretty much stayed that way until he came to Durham last week.
    feels like thereís a difference youíre neglecting. there wasnít a single insider (duke or otherwise) who suggested Foster or McCain were getting cold feet. Just idiot fans who tried to connect the dots for twitter clout.

Similar Threads

  1. MBB Off-season Thread
    By kAzE in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 08-22-2017, 03:46 PM
  2. Final Four Discussion Thread (Zags, Ducks, Heels, USC-East)
    By pfrduke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 925
    Last Post: 04-06-2017, 01:29 AM
  3. MBB: Pre-season 2014-15 Thread
    By kAzE in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 282
    Last Post: 10-22-2014, 01:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •