Page 4 of 56 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    How dare you inject "reason" into an anti-UNC thread?!
    i'm totally on ripping on UNC for, just shortly after breaking the record for the largest blown lead in a title game, breaking the record for being the first to be preseason #1 and miss the tournament....but on turning down the NIT bit? glass houses, etc.
    1200. DDMF.

Did COVID impact our decision a few years ago? Gotta admit I don’t recall the specifics, they all roll together for me since the advent of one and done.

In any event, if the shoes were reversed, I would be down on Duke if it passed on the NIT as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I all fairness, Love earned it. 37.8% from the field...and you took the most FGA on the team. Toss in 29.9% from three and the most attemps on the team combined with the most turnovers on the team...well I can see a few problems. The hilarious part of it...37.8% was a career best FG% and his turnovers were a career low...so he is showing progress!
    Those are Cole Anthony numbers!
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Did COVID impact our decision a few years ago? Gotta admit I don’t recall the specifics, they all roll together for me since the advent of one and done.

In any event, if the shoes were reversed, I would be down on Duke if it passed on the NIT as well.
    I don't believe we even got invited...but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

In either case, the sentiment here was overwhelmingly as you suggest, that we, as UNC did, should not participate.
    1200. DDMF.

We had a team outbreak of covid during the ACCT and had to withdraw from the event. It’s not likely our guys would have cleared quarantine in time for a Tues/Wed NIT game so we just announced our season was over. Personally I didn’t think that season should have been played at all, so even absent the covid outbreak on our roster I wouldn’t have seen much purpose in playing in the NIT that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    We had a team outbreak of covid during the ACCT and had to withdraw from the event. It’s not likely our guys would have cleared quarantine in time for a Tues/Wed NIT game so we just announced our season was over. Personally I didn’t think that season should have been played at all, so even absent the covid outbreak on our roster I wouldn’t have seen much purpose in playing in the NIT that year.
    That is my memory as well, the covid outbreak definitely directed the decision to shut down for the tournament season. Duke never got the NIT invitation because that shutdown occurred before any invitations went out.

Now to be fair Maryland in 1974 turned down NIT and NCSU with David Thompson in 1975 in the 1 bid era. BUT what is Hubert needs to be doing is telling those light blue babies AKA players "if you are playing at unc-ch next year we are playing in the NIT and if you don't play do not come back and take our NIL money". Unc-ch should be building for next year and if that includes Love-Davis-Bacot and their NIL receiving butts they need to play with the team or go to the G league or Europe.

Exactly. As someone else said, once “half” our team got Covid during the ACCT we shut the season down. If we were fully healthy (we might have played well enough to make the NCAAT) and got invited to the NIT, I would hope and expect we would participate. And win. It’s only the opportunity to win a championship after all, even if it’s not the one you started the season hoping for. Go duke! 9F

Given that it was a COVID year and the program was "shutdown" on selection Sunday, I have no issue with Duke not participating in the 2021 NIT. However, had it not been a COVID-year, I would have been disappointed to see Duke turn down an NIT bid. The 2021 team struggled with a bunch of close losses, but was coming off two impressive ACC tourney wins bolstered by the emergence of Mark Williams. I wanted to see more of that team.

I also would have loved to see the 1995 play in the NIT had they been eligible. I think the 95 team may have been the best sub .500 team of all time and would have enjoyed seeing them try to prove that in the NIT.

As a Duke fan, I typically want to see the team play as many quality games as possible. Sure, it is a big letdown for a program like Duke not making the NCAA tournament, but playing or not playing in the NIT doesn't change that. In fact, turning down an NIT bid seems to be an admission that your season was such a dramatic failure that you want to get it over with as soon as possible.

Of course, that doesn't mean I would recommend hanging an NIT 3rd place banner.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Given that it was a COVID year and the program was "shutdown" on selection Sunday, I have no issue with Duke not participating in the 2021 NIT. However, had it not been a COVID-year, I would have been disappointed to see Duke turn down an NIT bid. The 2021 team struggled with a bunch of close losses, but was coming off two impressive ACC tourney wins bolstered by the emergence of Mark Williams. I wanted to see more of that team.

I also would have loved to see the 1995 play in the NIT had they been eligible. I think the 95 team may have been the best sub .500 team of all time and would have enjoyed seeing them try to prove that in the NIT.

As a Duke fan, I typically want to see the team play as many quality games as possible. Sure, it is a big letdown for a program like Duke not making the NCAA tournament, but playing or not playing in the NIT doesn't change that. In fact, turning down an NIT bid seems to be an admission that your season was such a dramatic failure that you want to get it over with as soon as possible.

Of course, that doesn't mean I would recommend hanging an NIT 3rd place banner.
    That '95 team was 20th(!) in SRS. This was pre Kenpom, but I imagine they would have been ranked there or even better in efficiency. That team was absolutely snakebit and lost soooo many close games.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Here are some of the big names that ARE playing in the NIT.

#1 seeds Clemson, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Rutgers

Other notables

Villanova
    Colorado
    Seton Hall
    Virginia Tech
    Michigan
    Wisconsin

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ht-no-1-seeds/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The NIT will be a seriously good tourney this year. I look forward to the games!

To be truthful, I am so enjoying now, and going to enjoy watching Duke in this NCAA tourney without that bunch of %#<#%*##{%# from Chapel Hill in it this year to even care an iota what they decide to do or not do! Whew! Tired from typing that !😎

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    That '95 team was 20th(!) in SRS. This was pre Kenpom, but I imagine they would have been ranked there or even better in efficiency. That team was absolutely snakebit and lost soooo many close games.
    Eh. We lost a lot of close games that year because we were expert in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. I’ve little doubt we would have found a way, probably an excruciating one, to drop an NIT game.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Ouch! Carolina and Hubes gets the smackdown from HOF coach Tom Penders. In fact, he says they should be fined.
    I like this quote.

"The Tar Heels rarely played hard and together," Penders wrote. "That’s on the coaching staff! They’re not helping themselves by turning down an NIT bid. That, in itself tells me that the players were running this team.

"Coach Davis has to step up and take the blame. Show people that he’s in charge."
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/college...135847200.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Yea but if they had accepted a bid we’d be mocking them mercilessly for playing in the event. If they made a run, we’d laugh at them for hanging a banner. If they lost early, we’d laugh at that.
    Exactly! Now you get it.

Setting the Record Straight on Duke and the 2021 Season

I've seen a number of posts on Reddit from some very sad and hurt UNC fans that Duke declined the NIT bid in 2021. Really, Duke fans are being hypocrites for ragging on UNC for quitting this season. In fact, Duke had the same level of disappointment, you see, after starting the 2020-21 season ranked in the top 10 and then failing to make the NCAA Tournament. It's the same, what happened then and with UNC now. Please be kind to us given our state of grief.

At any rate, here is what happened. Duke played its final game of the 2021 season on Wednesday, March 10th against Louisville. It was a stirring victory with Mark Williams setting a freshmen rebounding record in the NCAA Tournament. Duke then shut the program down after a walk-on player tested positive for COVID. On Thursday, March 11th, Duke's then-Athletic Director Kevin White announced the 2020-21 season was over for Duke. Selection Sunday was the following Sunday, March 14th. Duke shut down it's program as players and coaches subsequently went into quarantine for the mandated 10-day period.

At any rate, please be kind to your UNC friends. They are hurting and lashing out, saying empty things like "the rivalry is over!" while getting into arguments with Duke fans.

I might add that the most recent season in which Duke was eligible for the NIT was 1981. Duke was in the NIT that season and lost to Purdue in the quarterfinals.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Ouch! Carolina and Hubes gets the smackdown from HOF coach Tom Penders. In fact, he says they should be fined.
    I like this quote.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/college...135847200.html
    Holy hell, Tom Penders with the hardcore calling out of UNC and Coach Davis! Kind of shocking that he went at Davis in such a manner.

As an aside, does anyone know if it’s an uncommon thing for a school to turn down an NIT invite? I honestly have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post

As an aside, does anyone know if it’s an uncommon thing for a school to turn down an NIT invite? I honestly have no idea.
    Most years there are 1-2 teams that turn them down. Cincinnati declined a bid this year. (They are coached by Wes Miller which makes it funnier.)

Dayton turned down a bid after losing their conference tourney yesterday I believe.