Page 30 of 56 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    I feel like Wojcik and Timberlake would likely compete for a spot up shooter role, spacing the floor for Bacot to post and for Davis and Witcher to create off the dribble. I wouldn’t expect either of them to be more than role players for the Heels, but if either of them can defend enough, they provide value in being a realistic threat to create space for their playmakers.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I feel like Wojcik and Timberlake would likely compete for a spot up shooter role, spacing the floor for Bacot to post and for Davis and Witcher to create off the dribble. I wouldn’t expect either of them to be more than role players for the Heels, but if either of them can defend enough, they provide value in being a realistic threat to create space for their playmakers.
    This is the Kerwin Walton role. They ran Walton off last summer to make way for Pete Nance. They desperately needed someone that could shoot the ball last year but couldn't find anyone on the bench to fill that role. Funny, that.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    Sure looks like UNC will start a 3 guard lineup next year with barely anyone manning the true SF position.
    I feel like Wojcik and Timberlake would likely compete for a spot up shooter role, spacing the floor for Bacot to post and for Davis and Witcher to create off the dribble. I wouldn’t expect either of them to be more than role players for the Heels...
    Picking up on these points, I’d guess Davis does, yes, plan to play 3 guards, the 3d being a smallish (6’4-5”) wing/3. Presumably Davis hopes he can get some shooting, game by game, from 2 of Wojcik, Dunn, and Timberlake (if the latter signs on). Can’t come anywhere near replacing Black’s excellent D, but 2 of these 3 in any game might make a few 3s.

Heels do need to hit the portal jackpot for a starting — including big-minutes — PF.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I took one look at that last name and took a trip down memory lane.

Paxton's father was Doug Wojcik, who was a nice PG for Navy back in the mid-80s. He was arguably the second best player on those Navy teams. The best player was, of course, none other than The Admiral, David Robinson. I may be recalling it incorrectly, but I think Doug Wojcik was the guy who got Johnny Dawkins butt in his face in a somewhat famous NCAA tournament dunk.

Doug has been a coach at several schools, most notably at Tulsa, but has been an assistant for about a decade. He has spent the past several years on the Michigan St. bench next to Tom Izzo. Interesting that when his son entered the portal, he did not look at his father's school at all.
    It's crazy that I never realized this was the same guy(or sad that I didn't remember).

Interesting part of Caleb Love's tweet... "taken some time with my family to re-evaluate what's best for me to continue to grow as a player and I've decided to enter the transfer portal to continue my journey"...

WOW... so he didn't see himself growing as a player at unc???

One thing Brown and UNC have in common - their teams both look like crap

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Are we sure he’s all that mercurial? He has a well-deserved reputation as a ball hog but that’s not quite the same thing. Brendan Marks in particular seems pretty effusive in his praise of the kid as a person.

It seems clear that the environment in Capel Hill last season was toxic, and Love’s an obvious target, but IMO it remains to be seen whether he is the right one, or the only one.
    Mercury is toxic.

Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Mercury is toxic.

Just sayin'.
    Yeah, but Love is like oxygen. You get too much, and you get too high. Not enough, and you’re gonna die.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yeah, but Love is like oxygen. You get too much, and you get too high. Not enough, and you’re gonna die.
    You should consider using those words as the chorus to a song. In fact, it’s so good you should begin the vocal portion of the song with said chorus.

Unorthodox, yes, but you can pull it off if you have a really Sweet voice. Even Caleb might Love it if you’re good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Transfer guard Nick Timberlake from Towson is apparently on an official visit at Smurf Town/Capel Hill/Cheater Hill.
    Lots of perfectly good brain cells being wasted on mulling a future powderblue lineup that fills me with ennui.

But I do come from this Carolina discussion with a tool to put them into perspective.

Smurf Town, as in UNC-SmurfTown. Kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I’ll confess up front that I saw 0 Brown games in this or any other year. The thing that jumps out at me is that he is 6’5” 200 and averaged 7+ rebounds. Led the team in fact. Hard for me to believe that will translate against P6 competition.

If he can shoot he can help them, even if it’s off the bench. Not sure he can do much other than that at this level though.
    I noticed that, too. In fairness, he grabbed 11, 13 & 8 rebounds in games at Rhode Island, Michigan State and Northwestern, so he probably is just a good rebounder for a guard, but I doubt that translates as well playing UNC's schedule as pure perimeter guy (he's 6'4", 185).

He seems like a solid pickup, but you just can't tell with most Ivy transfers ahead of time in most cases. Tape averaged an efficient 11 & 6 in just 23 min. as a junior at Columbia and Catchings put up an efficient 9 & 4 in 24 min. as a junior at Harvard - neither could see the floor for Duke. On the flipside, Paul Atkinson went from 17.6/7.3 at Yale to 12.5/6.9 at ND in 21/22 as a starter, and Boeheim's kid had a solid transition from Cornell that season as well.

Another thing about Wojcik's season: he averaged 12.2 points on 40.9 FG% & 35.9 3P% in non-conference play and 17.4 points on 50.6 FG% and 40.3 3P% in the Ivy League. Those non-conf/conf splits do not inspire a ton of confidence in his upcoming transition to ACC basketball. And the guy already had to transfer to the Ivy just to get minutes after playing sparingly for a couple season at Loyola (IL).

Long story short, getting Proctor to return >>>>> a Love-for-Wojcik trade.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Heels do need to hit the portal jackpot for a starting — including big-minutes — PF.
    At PF, they do have Jalen Washington (a fringe top-50 recruit) returning as a sophomore and Zayden High (a top-75 recruit) coming in. Those types of guys have been the life blood of the UNC program in the past 10 years (guys like Brice Johnson and Kennedy Meeks). That's not to say either will be able to step in and be a starter. Hubert Davis has been reluctant to play his bench, so we don't know whether Washington will be up to the challenge. But they do at least have some potentially decent options in-house.

At PF, they do have Jalen Washington (a fringe top-50 recruit) returning as a sophomore and Zayden High (a top-75 recruit) coming in. Those types of guys have been the life blood of the UNC program in the past 10 years (guys like Brice Johnson and Kennedy Meeks). That's not to say either will be able to step in and be a starter. Hubert Davis has been reluctant to play his bench, so we don't know whether Washington will be up to the challenge. But they do at least have some potentially decent options in-house.
    I’d be surprised if Davis plans to depend on either of these 2 to start as the second big. The one time I recall Washington playing significant minutes, at UVa when Bacot was injured near the beginning of the game, he had a very solid game, but I think it was consistently close to the basket. I do expect Washington, much more than High, to be a 4-5 backup, maybe the Heels’ primary backup big in ‘23-‘24. But I will be surprised if Davis isn’t looking to the portal for some Manek-magic.

Agreed, playing Washington and Bacot together would be a return to the Roy-style “two post big” offense that is virtually extinct in the modern game. It’s unfortunate for them because Washington might be their third best player next season but will only play when Bacot is not on the court.

I took a stroll over to IC, their response to landing Wojcik is a bit tepid. They think he’s fine as a bench piece but if he’s being brought in as a starter then that’s a big problem.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Agreed, playing Washington and Bacot together would be a return to the Roy-style “two post big” offense that is virtually extinct in the modern game. It’s unfortunate for them because Washington might be their third best player next season but will only play when Bacot is not on the court.

I took a stroll over to IC, their response to landing Wojcik is a bit tepid. They think he’s fine as a bench piece but if he’s being brought in as a starter then that’s a big problem.
    I mean, would we expect a 15ppg player from the Ivy League to be a top tier ACC starter at Duke?

Sounds like he would top out as a Theo John or Ryan Young bench player.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I think Timberlake is more likely to be a starter than Wojcik. I can see him slotting in as a shooter for when Davis and Bacot draw the D and he would appear to have the athletic chops to be somewhat useful on defense.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think Timberlake is more likely to be a starter than Wojcik. I can see him slotting in as a shooter for when Davis and Bacot draw the D and he would appear to have the athletic chops to be somewhat useful on defense.
    Timberlake does not have a good defensive reputation from what I have read and the defensive stats - for whatever they are worth - seem to back that up.

I think the idea is that Wojcik and Timberlake are going to be depth guys that can also provide shooting off the bench. They have more highly-regarded players in Dunn, Wilcher, and Trimble that can play the guard spots already. I assume that Wilcher will have the inside track to starting at the off guard spot.

Washington looked completely lost on defense for the few minutes he did play last season. The Duke coaching staff repeatedly targeted him when he was in there. It would be surprising if Washington became an adequate defender. He can stretch the defense a little with his jumper.

Lots of questions about the defensive capabilities of the roster as it is shaping up in Chapel Hill. They can still add about 4 guys through the portal, but they will all need to be forwards that can produce or at least contribute. I don't think they can rely on Washington and High.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Timberlake does not have a good defensive reputation from what I have read and the defensive stats - for whatever they are worth - seem to back that up.

I think the idea is that Wojcik and Timberlake are going to be depth guys that can also provide shooting off the bench. They have more highly-regarded players in Dunn, Wilcher, and Trimble that can play the guard spots already. I assume that Wilcher will have the inside track to starting at the off guard spot.

Washington looked completely lost on defense for the few minutes he did play last season. The Duke coaching staff repeatedly targeted him when he was in there. It would be surprising if Washington became an adequate defender. He can stretch the defense a little with his jumper.

Lots of questions about the defensive capabilities of the roster as it is shaping up in Chapel Hill. They can still add about 4 guys through the portal, but they will all need to be forwards that can produce or at least contribute. I don't think they can rely on Washington and High.
    That's assuming no one else will transfer out! It's not even April!

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    That's assuming no one else will transfer out! It's not even April!
    I feel like Wojcik and Timberlake are the kind of players you get in the portal when you don't want the bench guys to leave. They haven't improved their roster, lost a ton of key guys and just done a little window dressing to make it look not so bad.

The next couple of portal targets will be the interesting ones.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I feel like Wojcik and Timberlake are the kind of players you get in the portal when you don't want the bench guys to leave. They haven't improved their roster, lost a ton of key guys and just done a little window dressing to make it look not so bad.

The next couple of portal targets will be the interesting ones.
    Yeah, I don't know if they're just deep bench guys or if it's the best UNC can get. Getting transfers after last season shouldn't be too hard - you say hey, come play for a national championship. After this year - the message is hey, come help us avoid that embarrassment again.