Page 22 of 56 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Bacot must know his NBA future is pretty bleak without any kind of jumper in his repertoire. No one really knows what he makes via NIL, but it's probably at least reasonable enough to stick around. He could make money overseas, probably pretty good money. But that will be there whenever he wants it, as overseas there's much less of an age issue, if any, for US players. But even the G-League would probably question him just due to his age, even now. It makes the most sense for him to stay if he's not ready to go overseas. It does get curiouser and curiouser about UNCHeat declining the NIT, though. The Magic 8-ball continues to come up with "Ask Hubert".

We could see Bacot working on an outside shot next season, though. If he still has any hope of a real contract in the NBA, I think he will need to show one.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

I wish that more of our players had the realistic view of their NBA prospects that Bacot seems to possess. Maybe NIL will change the equation for some.

Quote Originally Posted by sday View Post
    I wish that more of our players had the realistic view of their NBA prospects that Bacot seems to possess. Maybe NIL will change the equation for some.
    The vast majority of Duke players that leave with eligibility play in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Bacot must know his NBA future is pretty bleak without any kind of jumper in his repertoire. No one really knows what he makes via NIL, but it's probably at least reasonable enough to stick around. He could make money overseas, probably pretty good money. But that will be there whenever he wants it, as overseas there's much less of an age issue, if any, for US players. But even the G-League would probably question him just due to his age, even now. It makes the most sense for him to stay if he's not ready to go overseas. It does get curiouser and curiouser about UNCHeat declining the NIT, though. The Magic 8-ball continues to come up with "Ask Hubert".

We could see Bacot working on an outside shot next season, though. If he still has any hope of a real contract in the NBA, I think he will need to show one.

9F
    I don’t know if Armando Bacot will develop a jump shot, but I think he will accomplish a lot in life. He has shown both the ability to rise to the occasion and the humility to stand and account for his team’s failures when they did not.
    Carolina delenda est

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    He will be the likely POY unless he gets injured.
    Meh. He'll be in the mix. No guarantee that Isaiah Wong won't be back for his senior year. He could repeat if he does. (Draft projection is deep into 2nd round and he's making great NIL $.) Aside from him, there will be plenty of others in the mix. Bacot might wind up with it, sure, but I wouldn't say it's "likely" and crown him just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I don’t know if Armando Bacot will develop a jump shot, but I think he will accomplish a lot in life. He has shown both the ability to rise to the occasion and the humility to stand and account for his team’s failures when they did not.
    I agree with that.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Rumor has it they lured him back with stock options. (Tee hee, tee hee, I tickle myself sometimes.)
    I doubt the wheels for heels program deals with stock options, Tarheel stars gotta have custom rides... Get that stock stuff outta here!

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I doubt the wheels for heels program deals with stock options, Tarheel stars gotta have custom rides... Get that stock stuff outta here!
    Hey PackMan, if you take what Bacot gets in NIL, under the table $, and Medicare all rolled into one, that’s a pretty good pay day!

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Sign me up for a season of watching Bacot work on his 3-point shot...

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Since we are obsessed with unc, it seems like a good time to update the current unc roster. This information is from the following site and does not include walk-ons. I have added notations for front court and back court.

https://verbalcommits.com/schools/north-carolina

Bacot - FC
    Davis -BC
    Love - BC
    Dunn - BC
    Trimble - BC
    Shaver - FC
    Washington - FC
    Wilcher - BC - New recruit
    High - FC - New recruit

This does leave Coach Davis with 4 scholarships.

In terms of recruits that have committed for 2024. I add these since they could reclassify (not sure if they will just adding them here.)

Cadeau - BC
    Jackson - BC - He may be going to St. Johns instead
    Powell - Small Forward
    Brown - FC

So, what are FC and BC?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Since we are obsessed with unc, it seems like a good time to update the current unc roster. This information is from the following site and does not include walk-ons. I have added notations for front court and back court.
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    So, what are FC and BC?
    In bold
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

https://verbalcommits.com/schools/north-carolina

Bacot - FC
    Davis -BC
    Love - BC
    Dunn - BC
    Trimble - BC
    Shaver - FC
    Washington - FC
    Wilcher - BC - New recruit
    High - FC - New recruit

This does leave Coach Davis with 4 scholarships.

In terms of recruits that have committed for 2024. I add these since they could reclassify (not sure if they will just adding them here.)

Cadeau - BC
    Powell - Small Forward
    Brown - FC
    You can probably remove Love from the roster. Of the remaining group, I see two starters and only one player capable of shooting the ball. Not a lot of defense on that roster, either. Going to have to land at least 3 impact transfers and hope that they all pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by indy1duke View Post
    With Bacot’s announced return for a fifth year will he become vested in the UNC retirement system?

Asking for a friend.
    Most places he'd be fully vested in his 401k before 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    You can probably remove Love from the roster. Of the remaining group, I see two starters and only one player capable of shooting the ball. Not a lot of defense on that roster, either. Going to have to land at least 3 impact transfers and hope that they all pan out.
    Right so from a year back. Manek gone. Black gone. Nance gone.

But RJ Davis. Bacot. Love all eligible and sounds like Bacot is for sure back

Is it pretty sure Love is leaving? Just conjecture? I’d be elated if he left. Despite his penchant fir taking crazy shots. He has clutch end game talent.

Is this general theory that he is leaving?

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Is this general theory that he is leaving?
    People are assuming Love is leaving because he deleted all his UNC references on his instagram account, except for one picture which looks like an NIL deal he has with Continental Tires, so he probably has to leave that on his feed for a certain contracted period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by aivroadstr View Post
    People are assuming Love is leaving because he deleted all his UNC references on his instagram account, except for one picture which looks like an NIL deal he has with Continental Tires, so he probably has to leave that on his feed for a certain contracted period of time.
    I would be very happy if Love left so it’s “just” Bacot and RJ of the original 5. To still have two of them is ridiculous. Those are honestly the best two 👎. plus maybe what Manek did in stretching the D once he got so good at hitting threes. But of last year RJ and Bacot were the best. Boo. Still happy if Love leaves though it sounds like unc fans were pretty mean to him. That’s poor

Maybe Davis and Love don't want to play together or share a girlfriend.

GoDuke!

First of all, I too puzzled over FC/BC for a few seconds too.

As for Jackson, I am starting to suspect that may be more rumor than reality. Apparently, Jackson's parents have said he is still very committed to UNC and all the twitter activity has really just been others playing off of one tweet. I'm not saying Jackson is a sure-thing to remain in the UNC fold, but I'm a little bit skeptical there is much fire here considering there seems to be a lot of smoke.

I feel like we are dancing on UNC's grave a bit prematurely. Bacot and Davis are a good starting point for a team and I am pretty sure UNC is still seen as an elite destination for portal players. I won't be at all surprised if the Heels pull 3 guys who appear quite capable of being ACC-lever starters out of the portal over the next month or so.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I feel like we are dancing on UNC's grave a bit prematurely.
    Ah, but what a dance it is.

(But sadly, I agree. UNC will be back)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    First of all, I too puzzled over FC/BC for a few seconds too.

As for Jackson, I am starting to suspect that may be more rumor than reality. Apparently, Jackson's parents have said he is still very committed to UNC and all the twitter activity has really just been others playing off of one tweet. I'm not saying Jackson is a sure-thing to remain in the UNC fold, but I'm a little bit skeptical there is much fire here considering there seems to be a lot of smoke.

I feel like we are dancing on UNC's grave a bit prematurely. Bacot and Davis are a good starting point for a team and I am pretty sure UNC is still seen as an elite destination for portal players. I won't be at all surprised if the Heels pull 3 guys who appear quite capable of being ACC-lever starters out of the portal over the next month or so.
    It's getting smoky over in Chapel Hill

https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/1638714899575578630

I don't think this changes much for UNC's prospects for 2023-24 one way or another. The Heels have PT and a marquee name.to offer portal players. They'll get a few guys and should be at least a bubble team next season.