View Poll Results: Who will win the East?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Purdue

5 5.56%
  • Marquette

7 7.78%
  • Kansas State

0 0%
  • Tennessee

1 1.11%
  • Duke

77 85.56%
  • Kentucky

0 0%
  • Michigan State

0 0%
  • Memphis

0 0%
  • Florida Atlantic

0 0%
  • USC

0 0%
  • Providence

0 0%
  • Oral Roberts

0 0%
  • Louisiana

0 0%
  • Montana State

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    News flash: enforcing the rules impacts the outcomes of games!
    Just proved finally that Duke doesn’t get all the calls!

Watching FAU humble Tennessee was one of the most satisfying games I can remember. So many things to enjoy especially the big Serbian center getting the F1 and watching Barnes take the loss when refs actually call fouls.

FAU showing how much matchups matter. We were a great matchup for TN because we weren’t going to turn them over, we walked the ball up the floor at a glacial pace, and we only had two marginally creative ballhandlers. The pace of our offense and inability to move their defense around to generate good shots (not to mention our inconsistent shooting from three) was a killer. Top that with Roach’s foul trouble and we could never get them in any sort of foul trouble (yes the officials had something to do with that, but so did we)

Contrast that with the way FAU attacked the Vols and made them uncomfortable even when their shots weren’t dropping. They adjusted to TN’s style and had multiple players willing to attack, getting into the bonus midway through the second half and fully taking advantage. When FAU’s threes started to drop, the writing was on the wall for Tennessee.

Really great win for FAU, happy to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by WHOneedsSOX View Post
    I'm probably just biased but how's that not an ejection? That's not a basketball play. That's basically a thrown elbow to the head area.
    Plavsic is a straight up thug. Should’ve had two flagrants against us and then did more of the same tonight. Buh bye.

The official March Madness video for Markquis Nowell's Sweet 16 game doesn't show all 19 assists, but it's still pretty damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    The flagrant foul was on an earlier play that wasn't reviewed until a stoppage of play.
    Right, it was confusing on the broadcast bc the one they were showing didn’t look like he’d done much.

I gather this is what he actually got the F1 for? Completely warranted. He really is a thug.

https://twitter.com/gottliebshow/sta...oRVemxzn4YoX8g
    Last edited by -jk; 03-24-2023 at 08:54 AM. Reason: link

Quote Originally Posted by indy1duke View Post
    Watching FAU humble Tennessee was one of the most satisfying games I can remember. So many things to enjoy especially the big Serbian center getting the F1 and watching Barnes take the loss when refs actually call fouls.
    Vols looked good...

K State-Mich St and Gonzaga-UCLA were just compelling television !

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post
    FAU showing how much matchups matter. We were a great matchup for TN because we weren’t going to turn them over, we walked the ball up the floor at a glacial pace, and we only had two marginally creative ballhandlers. The pace of our offense and inability to move their defense around to generate good shots (not to mention our inconsistent shooting from three) was a killer. Top that with Roach’s foul trouble and we could never get them in any sort of foul trouble (yes the officials had something to do with that, but so did we)

Contrast that with the way FAU attacked the Vols and made them uncomfortable even when their shots weren’t dropping. They adjusted to TN’s style and had multiple players willing to attack, getting into the bonus midway through the second half and fully taking advantage. When FAU’s threes started to drop, the writing was on the wall for Tennessee.

Really great win for FAU, happy to see it.
    That’s a fair summary.

We lost last week because we didn’t have the ability to adjust our style. Yes, TN was overly physical, but we could have been more aggressive. I’m not sure we’d beat FAU if we played them, they are very good.

Vols looked good.

Their performance against Duke shooting wise appears to have been a one trick pony.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    That’s a fair summary.

We lost last week because we didn’t have the ability to adjust our style. Yes, TN was overly physical, but we could have been more aggressive. I’m not sure we’d beat FAU if we played them, they are very good.
    I think it’s simpler than that. TN shot 43% on 21 3s against Duke. They shot 26% on 23 3s against FAU. TN averages 33% on 3 pointers on the season.

Neither Duke nor FAU shot 3s exceptionally well against TN. Duke shot just over 26% and FAU shot just under 30%.

So did FAU defend 3 pointers better than Duke or did TN just have a more shots fall against Duke?

Was at the game. Ugh. Nkamhoua finished with 6 points in 26 minutes, and 4 of those came in the last minute. His fluke of a performance was one for the Tennessee record books. Just makes that loss even more frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I think it’s simpler than that. TN shot 43% on 21 3s against Duke. They shot 26% on 23 3s against FAU. TN averages 33% on 3 pointers on the season.

Neither Duke nor FAU shot 3s exceptionally well against TN. Duke shot just over 26% and FAU shot just under 30%.

So did FAU defend 3 pointers better than Duke or did TN just have a more shots fall against Duke?
    I believe FAU defended the three better. I believe their quickness to the shooter really bothered Tenn. And we missed Mark.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Some very accurate assessments of our team. Unfortunately we just didn't have guys who can create offense and it's hard to get far in the tournament without it. TN cut off our ball movement by pressuring the guards and forced us into taking difficult shots. They packed the middle and our two bigs couldn't do anything. FAU had a better game plan, they moved the ball and were very active. They also outrebounded TN 40-36 whereas we were at a 30-35 deficit. Heck even #13 Louisiana in the first round put up a better showing than we did, coming back in the second half to make it a three point loss. It hurts but our team was flawed and we ran into a terrible matchup, on top of missing a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Some very accurate assessments of our team. Unfortunately we just didn't have guys who can create offense and it's hard to get far in the tournament without it. TN cut off our ball movement by pressuring the guards and forced us into taking difficult shots. They packed the middle and our two bigs couldn't do anything. FAU had a better game plan, they moved the ball and were very active. They also outrebounded TN 40-36 whereas we were at a 30-35 deficit. Heck even #13 Louisiana in the first round put up a better showing than we did, coming back in the second half to make it a three point loss. It hurts but our team was flawed and we ran into a terrible matchup, on top of missing a starter.
    Mitchell would have been key to accomplishing all of this as he is a bigger guy (more in terms of height than stature) who was very comfortable driving into traffic, which, as you noted, is exactly what we needed. I'm guessing he was a key part of the game plan. So the combination of a) not having him, b) not having a lot of time to pivot off a game plan where he was likely key, and c) the refs calling the game in a way that made it even harder for us made what was already going to be a tough game even harder. There were some games this year where you barely even noticed him on the court, and others where he was MOTM for his contributions, which was often based on match-ups - this was likely going to be the latter.

I'm just glad TN is out - their style of play is not appealing. Both games tomorrow night should be fun, after 3/4 being great last night.

Don't tell the trouble and strife, but ... I'm glad the Vols lost.

Quote Originally Posted by indy1duke View Post
    There's an article out from Monday that says "Barnes admitted Monday that he reinserted Plavsic into the starting lineup because of his physical play." I personally believe most people use the term physical to mean committing a lot of uncalled fouls and I'm glad he and Barnes are out of the tournament. Lucky he didn't hurt someone and cost them a potential NBA career. His Flagrant from yesterday: Tennessee gives FAU exactly what they asked for with dirty rugby-style flagrant (Video) (msn.com)

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post

I disagree with your synopsis. Personally, I think it was lack of depth for Duke, and especially having Mitchell out, which was Duke's biggest problem. Tennessee had a guy who put up 23 in the second half, who Mitchell would probably have neutralized. I thought Proctor handled well at PG for Duke. We also didn't get any relief from the refs who decided to let them play. When fouls got called more reasonably, both the Tennessee big men got into trouble.
    Last edited by -jk; 03-24-2023 at 09:24 AM. Reason: fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Vols looked good.

Their performance against Duke shooting wise appears to have been a one trick pony.
    A team plays above their abilities against Duke- never seen that before.

Flip took to Twitter to call out the cheap shots from Vols big man.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Flip took to Twitter to call out the cheap shots from Vols big man.
    Link?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016