View Poll Results: Who will win the East?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Purdue

5 5.56%
  • Marquette

7 7.78%
  • Kansas State

0 0%
  • Tennessee

1 1.11%
  • Duke

77 85.56%
  • Kentucky

0 0%
  • Michigan State

0 0%
  • Memphis

0 0%
  • Florida Atlantic

0 0%
  • USC

0 0%
  • Providence

0 0%
  • Oral Roberts

0 0%
  • Louisiana

0 0%
  • Montana State

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Let’s go on Password together. We’d murder ‘em.
    This shouldn't shock you: I don't know what that is.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    This shouldn't shock you: I don't know what that is.

Such a bush-league move by the Florida Atlantic player to try a slam dunk contest-like dunk as the buzzer sounded when FDU had given up guarding since FAU was running out the clock! Definitely not pulling for FAU moving forward. I hope Tennessee kills them.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/35900820

I was amazed how FDU played. They just ran and ran and ran and had no fear in the paint. I really liked their game.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Such a bush-league move by the Florida Atlantic player to try a slam dunk contest-like dunk as the buzzer sounded when FDU had given up guarding since FAU was running out the clock! Definitely not pulling for FAU moving forward. I hope Tennessee kills them.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/35900820

I was amazed how FDU played. They just ran and ran and ran and had no fear in the paint. I really liked their game.

9F
    It was an incredibly bush league thing to try and do. Very disappointed in a Florida school doing that.

But root for Tennessee because of it? Heck no!!!

Wow did this region open up. Never a truly easy game at this point but wow what a nice path we would’ve had to the Final Four. Shame.

And will def be rooting against Tennessee after the goon ball they played against us.

Calapri might be out of a job in a year

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Off-season threads on Rupp Rafters will be entertaining. I know he has a lifetime contract but, among BBN, Cal’s seat is on fire. Going to stroll over there and take a peek.
    No problem. I refer you to the book by Valvano: They Gave Me a Lifetime Contract and Then They Declared Me Dead."

Kentucky has three of the top five recruits coming in, he needs to make a Final Four run. Yeah I know Duke had three top five recruits this year but Scheyer is a first year coach.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Canadian bacon is ham that is lying about being bacon. It's their one flaw.
    But it's still really good ham, so how much of a flaw is it really?

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Kentucky has three of the top five recruits coming in, he needs to make a Final Four run. Yeah I know Duke had three top five recruits this year but Scheyer is a first year coach.
    It was also kinda a down year for the high school class and our three top 5 recruits certainly weren't expected to be like Paolo from an immediate impact perspective. I don't think it was because Scheyer is a first year coach. If he had a Bagley/Paolo/Zion, they would have been unleashed. Dunno about next year's class.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    It was also kinda a down year for the high school class and our three top 5 recruits certainly weren't expected to be like Paolo from an immediate impact perspective. I don't think it was because Scheyer is a first year coach. If he had a Bagley/Paolo/Zion, they would have been unleashed. Dunno about next year's class.
    Well for what it's worth, the 2024 draft class (of which Kentucky's recruiting class will be a part) is generally seen to be a down year, even relative to this year (while there wasn't as much college freshman talent, there's a lot of international and G-League guys that the NBA really likes). That's one reason why I'm holding out home for some surprise returnees on our end. If that is true, then Kentucky next year could be more similar to us this year, but without the first year head coach... meaning the expectations might be higher than the reality. What a shame that would be for Cal.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Next year's class is considered weaker than this year's from most of what I've read. Might set Cal up for some really unrealistic expectations, depending on who he can bring back

If Izzo coached Kentucky they would have at least two to three more championships.

If Izzo coached Kentucky they would have at least two to three more championships.
    Not sure about that. It's hard to win with big young teams.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Oh I HIGHLY doubt that. Izzo is notorious for underusing his star freshmen. Jaren Jackson Jr was the fourth overall pick after a freshman year at MSU where he was criminally underused... when MSU was upset by Syracuse in the tournament's first weekend (a game I was lucky enough to see in Detroit), MSU fans were apoplectic as to why Jackson spent much of the second half on the bench. There's a reason why MSU hasn't had a lot of OADs, let alone clear-cut NBA talent, over the past decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    But it's still really good ham, so how much of a flaw is it really?
    Pigs are magical and delicious animals. But ham ain't bacon. Or pulled pork. Or pork ribs. So ham, while tasty, is at best the 4th best iteration of porcine meat.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I’ve always rooted for the scenario that wouldn’t have collateral damage: the teams get into a massive brawl that is such a black eye for the sport that the NCAA decides the game is a no contest and there is no champion.
    So you want TN on the finals?

DBR Front Page: YouTube Gold: The End Of The FDU-Purdue Game

The article links to this official video of the last 104 seconds of the game.

I was unable to see this game (or any basketball) on Friday night, so I appreciated getting to see this for the first time. Despite losing, Purdue gets two very lucky breaks in this video.

First, watch from the 0:30 to 0:45 mark. Fletcher Loyer just hit a 3 that turned the score from 58-53 to 58-56. Steve Lappas (the announcing analyst) says, "Braden Smith... very, very lucky they didn't call a charge on that pass." And the replay confirms the pretty obvious contact that, if called, would have negated Loyer's subsequent 3-pointer. A very debatable no-call.

Second, watch the inbounds pass with 12.5 seconds left in the game (start at about 6:35 in the video). The passer takes a really long time to get the ball in. An announcer mentions that he's having difficulty, but doesn't notice how long it's taking. Neither does the referee. It's an easy 6-Mississippi count, and with a stopwatch, it's just over 5 and a half seconds.

I recognize that details might be overlooked when everyone in the building is caught up in a 1 vs. 16 moment, but I get the feeling that, in a slightly different situation, Jeremy Roach gets called for the offensive foul and Tyrese Proctor turns the ball over on a 5-second call.

Footnote: Andrew Catalon (the play-by-play announcer) talks to Awful Announcing about saying "F-D-U believe it?!" after the buzzer sounds.

“It’s funny. At halftime, I texted three of my close friends on a text chain. I just texted FDU BELIEVE IT? Not trying to get ahead of myself, but there’s a game going on here. This 16-seed is in it. They wrote back and said ‘Hey, that’s pretty good.’ I didn’t think about a final call because I was just trying to stay in the moment.

Then with about four minutes left, that’s when I thought ‘This game could be a part of NCAA Tournament history. What am I going to say if FDU wins this?’ I circled back to that text that I sent to my buddies. I thought ‘You know what? Maybe that’s what I’ll go with.’ In the last minute, I scribbled that down and said ‘Why not?’ and ran with it.”

This isn't really true.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Oh I HIGHLY doubt that. Izzo is notorious for underusing his star freshmen. Jaren Jackson Jr was the fourth overall pick after a freshman year at MSU where he was criminally underused... when MSU was upset by Syracuse in the tournament's first weekend (a game I was lucky enough to see in Detroit), MSU fans were apoplectic as to why Jackson spent much of the second half on the bench. There's a reason why MSU hasn't had a lot of OADs, let alone clear-cut NBA talent, over the past decade or so.
    This is something that Michigan fans love to say, but it isn't really true.

Jackson didn't play huge minutes at MSU because he was #3 in the nation in foul rate. For all players. He couldn't stop fouling. Izzo usually had to manage his minutes so he could finish out games. That issue has followed him to the NBA.

For that Syracuse game, Jackson had never seen anything like that zone and was scared to death. He wasn't effective. Izzo could have played him more but Jackson has admitted that he had no idea what was going on that day.

Plenty of freshman have played big roles and minutes at MSU. Gary Harris, Miles Bridges, Kalin Lucas, Max Christie just last year. Cassius Winston played a big role as a freshman.

Don't want to turn this into an MSU/UM flame war but what is said above is not the case historically.

dukemsu

Quote Originally Posted by dukemsu View Post
    This is something that Michigan fans love to say, but it isn't really true.

Jackson didn't play huge minutes at MSU because he was #3 in the nation in foul rate. For all players. He couldn't stop fouling. Izzo usually had to manage his minutes so he could finish out games. That issue has followed him to the NBA.

For that Syracuse game, Jackson had never seen anything like that zone and was scared to death. He wasn't effective. Izzo could have played him more but Jackson has admitted that he had no idea what was going on that day.

Plenty of freshman have played big roles and minutes at MSU. Gary Harris, Miles Bridges, Kalin Lucas, Max Christie just last year. Cassius Winston played a big role as a freshman.

Don't want to turn this into an MSU/UM flame war but what is said above is not the case historically.

dukemsu
    Thanks for your perspective here… you are, of course, right on all counts. I had never heard t about Jackson’s postgame comments after the Cuse game, but I can tell you the MSU fans surrounding me in Detroit were all flummoxed during the game, haha. I will say that while many freshmen, like those you highlight, have played big roles, they haven’t really been OAD type guys like Kentucky utilizes… Christie was