View Poll Results: Who will win the East?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Purdue

    5 5.56%
  • Marquette

    7 7.78%
  • Kansas State

    0 0%
  • Tennessee

    1 1.11%
  • Duke

    77 85.56%
  • Kentucky

    0 0%
  • Michigan State

    0 0%
  • Memphis

    0 0%
  • Florida Atlantic

    0 0%
  • USC

    0 0%
  • Providence

    0 0%
  • Oral Roberts

    0 0%
  • Louisiana

    0 0%
  • Montana State

    0 0%
  • Other

    0 0%
Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 608
  1. #341
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I am not enough of an x's and O's guy to have the answer to Purdue. I will say that teams that shoot as poorly as Purdue has this year struggle in the Tournament. It was also obvious from watching B1G games that every coach figured out their freshmen guards could be pressed into making mistakes. I think the book was out on this particular team. The most unlikely opponent took advantage.

    Last year was a bigger head scratcher to me. Purdue has had a couple guys that had NBA talent under Painter. In general, they often land good college players with limited pro prospects. But last year, they had Jaden Ivey. He wasn't a freshmen phenom, either. There was no excuse for that team to lose to Saint Peters. The trend suggests that the issue may be coaching. The question now is if and how Painter adapts.
    It also seems many teams who do well in the Big Tenish are not strong tournament teams. May be a style issue in the leagueÖ

  2. #342
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    It also seems many teams who do well in the Big Tenish are not strong tournament teams. May be a style issue in the leagueÖ
    My working theory is that most of those teams lack NBA talent. This also conveniently explains why Michigan has done the best in the Tournament since they have had the most NBA talent among the B1G. A future pro can often fix mistakes or overcome the other team's gameplan. It's better to have a few of those guys. Like with ORU, Abmas is a great college player but clearly was contained by Duke's defense. A pro like CJ McCollum was unbothered by the 2012 Duke team.

  3. #343
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Dude on TV refers to greatest Princeton win ever. Tigers were FF with Bill Bradley in '65.

  4. #344
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Dude on TV refers to greatest Princeton win ever. Tigers were FF with Bill Bradley in '65.
    Ha, ha. Lol.

  5. #345
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Dude on TV refers to greatest Princeton win ever. Tigers were FF with Bill Bradley in '65.
    ďEverĒ now means for those viewers under the age of 50.

  6. #346
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    My working theory is that most of those teams lack NBA talent. This also conveniently explains why Michigan has done the best in the Tournament since they have had the most NBA talent among the B1G. A future pro can often fix mistakes or overcome the other team's gameplan. It's better to have a few of those guys. Like with ORU, Abmas is a great college player but clearly was contained by Duke's defense. A pro like CJ McCollum was unbothered by the 2012 Duke team.
    Itís a reasonable theory. Michigan indeed has the most players on current NBA rosters of all the Big 10 programs. Know who has only one? Purdue - Jaden Ivey.

  7. #347
    K State PG - Nowell - is fantastic. If only they had some shooters theyíd be dangerous.

  8. #348
    Whoa what a great game!

  9. #349
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Dude on TV refers to greatest Princeton win ever. Tigers were FF with Bill Bradley in '65.
    I heard that yesterday and I was like: "Settle down." Biggest win of the modern era. But that Final 4 was the biggest thing in program history.

  10. #350
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is online now Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Well, with Kentucky down thatís one more team I really donít want to win crossed off. Time for MSU to lose and then hope someone takes down Bama.
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

  11. #351
    What a coaching job by first year KSU Coach Tang.

  12. #352
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Well, with Kentucky down thatís one more team I really donít want to win crossed off. Time for MSU to lose and then hope someone takes down Bama.
    Yep same. Plus I love watching Nowell play. Pulling for them to keep winning so I can watch him.

  13. #353
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Well, with Kentucky down thatís one more team I really donít want to win crossed off. Time for MSU to lose and then hope someone takes down Bama.
    Same teams hoping to get crossed off here, though Iíd add UConn to that list personally. Nice win for K State, Nowell is just something else, fun player to watch and root for.

  14. #354
    Off-season threads on Rupp Rafters will be entertaining. I know he has a lifetime contract but, among BBN, Calís seat is on fire. Going to stroll over there and take a peek.

  15. #355
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Well, with Kentucky down thatís one more team I really donít want to win crossed off. Time for MSU to lose and then hope someone takes down Bama.
    That's 4 blue bloods missing now. Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and the School of Cheats. Oh wait, the School of Cheats didn't make the tourney.

    GoDuke!

  16. #356
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Off-season threads on Rupp Rafters will be entertaining. I know he has a lifetime contract but, among BBN, Calís seat is on fire. Going to stroll over there and take a peek.
    The site is down. That canít be a coincidence.

  17. #357
    Marquette is impressively inept right now

  18. #358
    Why do people not like Michigan State? Or Kansas? I pull against UNC and Kentucky. Not crazy about UConn. But that's it.

  19. #359
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Why do people not like Michigan State? Or Kansas?
    I speak only for myself here.

    Kansas is deserving of every bit of viewer/fan fatigue that gets thrown Duke's way. (Not opposed to their Duke fatigue, but I suggest they CAN be tired of more than one team.) I described them in a different thread as the Thanos of college basketball, because they don't actively win games, but rather make you feel like their winning is inevitable. Their barely-challenged dominance of the Big XII for almost 2 decades is incomprehensible to me. It was more pronounced this season, but every season feels the same: Big XII challengers beat each other up, clearing the way for Kansas to finish on top. Kansas had 5 conference losses this year, which is huge, but Texas had 6.

    Michigan State, for many seasons, played as if they had a cheat code. They could lose 10-12 games but wake up in March. They're like CBS/Turner/Warner Bros. Discovery or casual sports fans who hibernated all winter and suddenly realized there was a college basketball season and a bracket to fill out. They could make the Final Four as a 7 seed this year, and it wouldn't be the first time.

    There's also the Elite Eight losses that Duke had against Kansas in 2018 and Michigan State in 2019.

  20. #360
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I speak only for myself here.

    Kansas is deserving of every bit of viewer/fan fatigue that gets thrown Duke's way. (Not opposed to their Duke fatigue, but I suggest they CAN be tired of more than one team.) I described them in a different thread as the Thanos of college basketball, because they don't actively win games, but rather make you feel like their winning is inevitable. Their barely-challenged dominance of the Big XII for almost 2 decades is incomprehensible to me. It was more pronounced this season, but every season feels the same: Big XII challengers beat each other up, clearing the way for Kansas to finish on top. Kansas had 5 conference losses this year, which is huge, but Texas had 6.

    Michigan State, for many seasons, played as if they had a cheat code. They could lose 10-12 games but wake up in March. They're like CBS/Turner/Warner Bros. Discovery or casual sports fans who hibernated all winter and suddenly realized there was a college basketball season and a bracket to fill out. They could make the Final Four as a 7 seed this year, and it wouldn't be the first time.

    There's also the Elite Eight losses that Duke had against Kansas in 2018 and Michigan State in 2019.
    People get to hate who they want to, I just hadn't heard of this enmity before.
    I guess I don't hate things that I don't feel threatened by. Kansas and Michigan State seem to be quality programs that do it the right way and have been about a half step or more below Duke since I became a basketball fan in the early 80s. I don't even really hate Kentucky, I just sort of like watching them lose. I hate UNC because of UNC fans that didn't go to college there. Since I went to college there, I do like UNC grads.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 322
    Last Post: Yesterday, 03:37 PM
  2. Replies: 269
    Last Post: 03-27-2023, 07:30 AM
  3. Replies: 153
    Last Post: 03-26-2023, 06:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •