View Poll Results: Who will win the South?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alabama

    23 62.16%
  • Arizona

    8 21.62%
  • Baylor

    0 0%
  • Virginia

    4 10.81%
  • San Diego State

    0 0%
  • Creighton

    0 0%
  • Missouri

    0 0%
  • Maryland

    0 0%
  • West Virginia

    0 0%
  • Utah State

    0 0%
  • NC State

    1 2.70%
  • Charleston

    0 0%
  • Furman

    1 2.70%
  • UCSB

    0 0%
  • Other

    0 0%
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 323
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA

    2023 NCAAM South Regional Thread (ɐɯɐqɐl∀, ɐuozᴉɹ∀, ɹolʎɐq, ɐᴉuᴉƃɹᴉΛ)

    Discussions and predictions here!
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

    You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

    You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    I'm a Furman alum so I have to root against the ACC in round 1. I'm All Din! My dad went to CofC undergrad/Duke grad so I love both of those teams (why I'm here!). I wish I could go to Orlando because I think there's a real possibility of an FU/CofC clash in round 2!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by cruxer View Post
    I'm a Furman alum so I have to root against the ACC in round 1. I'm All Din! My dad went to CofC undergrad/Duke grad so I love both of those teams (why I'm here!). I wish I could go to Orlando because I think there's a real possibility of an FU/CofC clash in round 2!
    I wish Furman luck. Tall order to take down UVA, but if the Cavs shots aren't falling, there's hope. In a close game, UVA can also stink from the line. Personally and no offense, I will root for UVA since they are ACC and not in a disgusting color of blue. But if Slawson can have a career game, Furman has a chance.

    9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    For Bama, a lot of talking heads are picking them. But when is the last time a team won it all without ever having even been to the FF before? Before you say Baylor, they actually did make the FF in the 40s (weak argument, but still). It seems like it was Texas Western in the 60s. Past performance does not dictate future returns, but I just have a hard time picking the Tide here. It's not like Nate Oats has some kind of championship pedigree (though hoopheads may know he was one of Hurley's assistants at Buffalo).

    9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    But when is the last time a team won it all without ever having even been to the FF before?
    Connecticut, 1999.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Connecticut, 1999.
    Shhhhhhh. Too soon.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Connecticut, 1999.
    Yup, thanks. I still think it's unusual for that to happen. I haven't completed my bracket yet, but I am leaning away from picking Bama. I think experience is a definite factor in picking tournament winners.

    9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    After going through this over and over, I'm left with picking the logical choice, Alabama, or a gut feel choice of (insert team here). Talking heads can bring up what ifs all they want, but to me it's a straight line for Bama to get to the Elite 8. Arizona is very good, but I don't think they can really hang with Bama for 40 minutes as long as Bama controls tempo a bit.

    I just keep wondering about Creighton. I didn't watch them at all this year for some reason, at least none that I can remember. I want to pick State, but I'm thinking I'd be voting with my emotions and not reality.

    9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    I have to put this pet peeve in this thread because it just showed up in the SEMO / TXAMCC game.

    A player is fouled on a 3 point attempt well after the ball has left his hand. The reasoning is that the defender did not give the shooter a chance to come down.

    This happens all of the time with big men near the basket!!! They never get a chance to come down before getting bumped!!!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    SEMO vs A&M-CC is turning into a great game. SEMO has come back from double digits down to tie with less than three minutes left.
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 03-14-2023 at 08:54 PM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Three SEMO players have fouled out, two more have 4 each.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    After going through this over and over, I'm left with picking the logical choice, Alabama, or a gut feel choice of (insert team here). Talking heads can bring up what ifs all they want, but to me it's a straight line for Bama to get to the Elite 8. Arizona is very good, but I don't think they can really hang with Bama for 40 minutes as long as Bama controls tempo a bit.

    I just keep wondering about Creighton. I didn't watch them at all this year for some reason, at least none that I can remember. I want to pick State, but I'm thinking I'd be voting with my emotions and not reality.

    9F
    Yeah, as the overall #1 seed, Alabama got the softest draw to get to the Elite Eight. Not all that suprising really.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Yeah, as the overall #1 seed, Alabama got the softest draw to get to the Elite Eight. Not all that suprising really.
    You are right, it should be that way. But often, it is not. But good for Bama, this time.

    9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Deadspin: From the guy who told you about Saint Peter's: Furman is about to bust your bracket

    In non-nerd analytics talk, if Furmanís offense can continue to score as it did for most of this season and trouble Virginiaís defenders better than those from mid-tier ACC schools did, the Cavaliers are in huge trouble because their offense isnít good enough to save them, even against an average D-I defense.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    2019

    Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    You are right, it should be that way. But often, it is not. But good for Bama, this time.

    9F
    Sure wasn't that way in 2019. Not that I'm bitter about it or anything.

  16. #16
    Brandon Miller will be traveling to NCAA Tourney games with an armed body guard. Don't think I've ever seen this before:

    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...rd-due-threats

  17. #17
    Virginia and head coach Tony Bennett are 1-2 in the Round of 64 since 2018.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    Brandon Miller will be traveling to NCAA Tourney games with an armed body guard. Don't think I've ever seen this before:

    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...rd-due-threats
    I struggle to imagine how a university could have a worse PR response than Alabama over the last month.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    interesting

    Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    Brandon Miller will be traveling to NCAA Tourney games with an armed body guard. Don't think I've ever seen this before:

    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...rd-due-threats
    So if one of his teammates needs a gun, the bodyguard can handle the delivery?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Nice start by West Virginia against Maryland

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 269
    Last Post: 03-27-2023, 07:30 AM
  2. Replies: 153
    Last Post: 03-26-2023, 06:52 PM
  3. Replies: 607
    Last Post: 03-26-2023, 01:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •