Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Hmmmm. Sounds familiar
    It's over.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

I just noticed, the other hosting teams in Duke's region were ranked #2, 3, and 4 preseason.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Once again the early rounds are going mostly to chalk, but when was the last time a #1 didn't make it to the Sweet Sixteen?** Wow.
    I'm looking forward to the game tonight, it's going to be much closer than Saturday night for sure.

If you have the time, I'd strongly suggest that you watch Kara's presser from yesterday afternoon. She talks a little about Saturday night, and a little about tonight, but mostly about the team, and her philosophy on how she does things as a coach, including on recruiting and approaching the transfer portal. One can't help but watch and be very happy that she's on Duke's bench.

https://www.facebook.com/DukeWBB/vid...01599123250887 (Link is to facebook, might be out there on youtube or GoDuke, too.)

**Oh. Sigh. I put 2009 out of my mind apparently. Big difference though, as Duke lost on Michigan State's court, and Stanford lost on their own.
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 03-20-2023 at 09:41 AM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    ACC schedule for today.

Cheaterettes vs OSU, 4:00 ESPN
    Louisville vs Texas, 7:00 ESPN
    Miami vs Indiana, 8:00 ESPN2
    Duke vs Colorado State, 9:30 ESPNU (lame)

Going 2 for 2 today would be an achievement.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    ACC schedule for today.

Cheaterettes vs OSU, 4:00 ESPN
    Louisville vs Texas, 7:00 ESPN
    Miami vs Indiana, 8:00 ESPN2
    Duke vs Colorado State, 9:30 9:00 ESPNU (lame)

Going 2 for 2 today would be an achievement.
    I believe the Duke tip-time is 9:00pm, not 9:30. That's what my electronic ticket says, anyway. Please don't make it later!

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I believe the Duke tip-time is 9:00pm, not 9:30. That's what my electronic ticket says, anyway. Please don't make it later!
    You're right, I had our last tip stuck in my head. Have a great time tonight, with hopefully an equally great outcome.
    Crossing fingers that we have a good sized crowd, but a late game on a Monday doesn't scream "Come to Cameron".

If you have the time, I'd strongly suggest that you watch Kara's presser from yesterday afternoon. She talks a little about Saturday night, and a little about tonight, but mostly about the team, and her philosophy on how she does things as a coach, including on recruiting and approaching the transfer portal. One can't help but watch and be very happy that she's on Duke's bench.

https://www.facebook.com/DukeWBB/vid...01599123250887 (Link is to facebook, might be out there on youtube or GoDuke, too.)
    Thanks for the link, unbelievable that this is not available on goduke.com. Who the heck is in charge over there?
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Thanks for the link, unbelievable that this is not available on goduke.com. Who the heck is in charge over there?
    maintaining a streaming platform is a PITA....especially when there are places like YT or FB that will do it for you for free.
    April 1

Once again the early rounds are going mostly to chalk, but when was the last time a #1 didn't make it to the Sweet Sixteen?** Wow.
    I'm looking forward to the game tonight, it's going to be much closer than Saturday night for sure.

**Oh. Sigh. I put 2009 out of my mind apparently. Big difference though, as Duke lost on Michigan State's court, and Stanford lost on their own.
    Yes, thanks for the link. Good discussion by Kara about her coaching philosophy, strategy and game execution. She stated that this team is nothing like what she thought her teams would be like, but that she has adapted to the talents and capabilities of the players. She said that she herself was always an offensive-oriented player and that is what she envisioned her teams would be like. She discussed scouting and analytics in developing game plans but that sometimes you must make in-game adjustments and not wait for certain things to happen. She talked about the transfer portal and how she has used it to fill the gaps although ideally she would like to have multi-year players growing within the system. I was impressed by her multi-level understanding of the process from recruiting to player development to game planning to game adjustments. She stated repeatedly that winning is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Yes, thanks for the link. Good discussion by Kara about her coaching philosophy, strategy and game execution. She stated that this team is nothing like what she thought her teams would be like, but that she has adapted to the talents and capabilities of the players. She said that she herself was always an offensive-oriented player and that is what she envisioned her teams would be like. She discussed scouting and analytics in developing game plans but that sometimes you must make in-game adjustments and not wait for certain things to happen. She talked about the transfer portal and how she has used it to fill the gaps although ideally she would like to have multi-year players growing within the system. I was impressed by her multi-level understanding of the process from recruiting to player development to game planning to game adjustments. She stated repeatedly that winning is everything.
    I like her comment about "Despite what you may think, I really do like offense."

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    maintaining a streaming platform is a PITA...especially when there are places like YT or FB that will do it for you for free.
    I'll admit I don't know about such things. But they have the players' Sunday video there. And Jon's Friday presser from Orlando.

Kara is Duke's best advertisement for DWBB, in fact for all women's sports at the university. She may have the highest profile of any woman at Duke. I think it's worth their investment (but then they never ask me my thoughts about anything).

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I'll admit I don't know about such things. But they have the players' Sunday video there. And Jon's Friday presser from Orlando.

Kara is Duke's best advertisement for DWBB, in fact for all women's sports at the university. She may have the highest profile of any woman at Duke. I think it's worth their investment (but then they never ask me my thoughts about anything).
    could also be differnet rights contracts for women vs men? no idea.
    April 1

could also be differnet rights contracts for women vs men? no idea.
    I don't really know, either, but I would be pretty surprised if the rights to a press conference were limited. What's the incentive for the coach and the questioners to even show up, if the work can't be published by the respective parties?

I don't know if the Stanford men's and women's coaches share offices in the same building, but said building wouldn't need air conditioning.

“I'm not going to fall into the trap of saying, 'Wow, we had a horrible season,'” VanDerveer told reporters after the game. “I know that our men's team would be ecstatic to be playing two games in the NCAA Tournament, and (Stanford athletics director Bernard Muir) would be happy about that, too.”
    So get off her lawn!

A bit of Duke curse there? They fired Johnny Dawkins, and the replacement has been significantly worse. (Johnny is one of my five all-time favorites (holy cow, that's harder to determine than I thought), don't mess with him)

I don't really know, either, but I would be pretty surprised if the rights to a press conference were limited. What's the incentive for the coach and the questioners to even show up, if the work can't be published by the respective parties?
    could be a situation where the video is copyrighted, but the transcript is not.
    April 1

...I would be pretty surprised if the rights to a press conference were limited. What's the incentive for the coach and the questioners to even show up, if the work can't be published by the respective parties?
    could be a situation where the video is copyrighted, but the transcript is not.
    For some other college teams (at least during the preseason and regular season), I've seen the same press conference from different angles, posted by the particular local news source that covers the team.

They don't do this for the Duke women, and the reason why goes back to the previous coach. Apparently, local news sources were upset that Coach McCallie would not name them directly, but would only refer to them by their channel numbers.

Banging Bangharts up 1 with less than 2 to play. They were down a decent amount a few minutes ago.

Amazing ending. Back and forth with OSU scoring the winner with 1.8 seconds left.

Had your heart ripped out Heels...GTHC.

Banging Bangharts up 1 with less than 2 to play. They were down a decent amount a few minutes ago.
    And they lose by 1. Good come back but not meant to be.

That was just perfect. Heels looked good. Ohio State wins 71-69.