Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

2023 NCAA Women’s Tournament

Selection Sunday, so time for the thread. Creme has us as a 3-seed, but dropping to a 4 if Texas wins today.

Also a good time to take quick stock of the season. A team that nobody expected much from came within a few points on the last day of sharing the regular season ACC Championship. Notre Dame finished 1 game ahead, but it must be pointed out that we had a far tougher ACC pod, with 2 games against VT, NCState, and uNC (NET #9, 17, and 21). Notre Dame's 2 games were against Louisville, Syracuse, and Boston College (NET #20, 57, and 87).

We finished #10 in the NET. We only had 6 losses, to the NET #2, 9(2X), 21(2X), and 24 teams. So no bad losses (maybe some ugly ones, though ) Notable that we also beat #9 and 21 once. Only 8 P5 teams have fewer losses. Our ladies did this against the 10th toughest schedule in the RPI (NET uses SOS, but I can't find where they list it), and 4 of those 8 teams had SOSs ranked 29, 33, 34, and 83. Most had losses to teams with NET #40 and above.

Just a phenomenal season. With our defense, a hot shooting night means we can beat anyone. Don't scoff, we did have a few and are capable. After the grind of the toughest conference in the nation, some time off was just what our ladies needed. We should make the second weekend on the strength of the defense alone, but to progress further we'll need that hot shooting.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

With either a 3 or 4 seed would Duke still host 1st and 2nd round games?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    With either a 3 or 4 seed would Duke still host 1st and 2nd round games?
    Yes. They are a lock to play in Cameron this weekend.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Assuming that we win our first game, Duke will never have lost two games in a row this year.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Assuming that we win our first game, Duke will never have lost two games in a row this year.
    If we don't win our first game - which will almost certainly be at home against a 12 seed or higher - that will be a problem. I'd be really, REALLY surprised at that.

Texas lost so we should be a 3 seed.

Good draw; in the Stanford/Iowa quarter of the draw. Both of those teams are beatable.

Duke Iona first round. MTSU-Colorado winner round 2.

Iowa as our S16 opponent. Not bad

Don't miss this gem...uNC is a 6-seed and will go to Columbus! Creme had them hosting as a 4. Hey espn, I'm available for the job. I couldn't do much worse.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Don't miss this gem...uNC is a 6-seed and will go to Columbus! Creme had them hosting as a 4. Hey espn, I'm available for the job. I couldn't do much worse.
    Early in the selection show, they had all of the schools shown in live shots "Brady Bunch" style, and you could see that the Heels were one of them. (They were the first square, in fact.)

When they got announced, that camera wasn't active. Boooo! I would have LOVED to have seen Banghart's and her team's expressions!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Congrats to Virginia Tech for getting a 1-seed. They've never been higher than a 4.

Of the other top-3 seeds, all were ranked in the preseason top-17 except for Utah (who was 26). As a reminder, Duke got 2 points. Great job by Kara, the staff, and the team.

Other ACC seeds:

ND 3
    Louisville 5
    uNC 6
    NCState 7
    FSU 7
    Miami 9

But yeah, ND's coach was ACC COY when her team was preseason #9. SMFH. (I know, I need to let it go)

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Congrats to Virginia Tech for getting a 1-seed. They've never been higher than a 4.

Of the other top-3 seeds, all were ranked in the preseason top-17 except for Utah (who was 26). As a reminder, Duke got 2 points. Great job by Kara, the staff, and the team.

Other ACC seeds:

ND 3
    Louisville 5
    uNC 6
    NCState 7
    FSU 7
    Miami 9

But yeah, ND's coach was ACC COY when her team was preseason #9. SMFH. (I know, I need to let it go)
    No, I'm right there with you. Kara should be in the conversation for NCOY. ACC COY should have been a slam dunk. She built this team out of nothing. I've got my first and second round tickets purchased. LGD!

Game times are still “TBD,” and GoDuke.com is saying “check back later” about tickets. Not helpful for folks considering flying in.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Game times are still “TBD,” and GoDuke.com is saying “check back later” about tickets. Not helpful for folks considering flying in.
    Lack of game times is frustrating, I certainly agree about that. The women always get short-shrift when it comes to scheduling at Tournament time. As for tickets, season tickets holders got early access. I'm not sure when they open up sales generally.

Hopefully there are two Duke teams playing Saturday, and hopefully the game times won't overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Hopefully there are two Duke teams playing Saturday, and hopefully the game times won't overlap.
    I believe the potential for overlap is why the women's times have not been announced, but I could be mistaken. In the past, they have been very careful to avoid game-time overlaps in the tournament, and that goes back a ways.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Best wishes to her.

Colorado - MTSU at 7:00 p.m. Eastern on Saturday, followed by Duke - Iona.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Colorado - MTSU at 7:00 p.m. Eastern on Saturday, followed by Duke - Iona.
    Duke's graphic has the Iona game listed as 9:30. I'm gonna need a pre-game nap!