Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    espn has blurbs on every team here:

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...y-team-bracket

The Blue Devils' one-year turnaround in Kara Lawson's third season in Durham is nothing short of remarkable. They finished 10th in the ACC standings (7-11 in conference play) in 2021-22, and in this season's preseason poll were expected to be only a bit better, coming in seventh. Fast forward a few months, and in arguably the best league in the country, Lawson's squad was the No. 2 seed in the conference tournament and is dancing for the first time since 2018. The Blue Devils (25-6) have done it by emerging as one of the toughest defensive units in the country, spearheaded by the efforts of ACC Defensive Player of the Year Celeste Taylor... (there's some more on the offense, but no need to read that )
    And here's another one for you Phredd: espn also has the top-25 players in the tournament, and surprise, not a Dukie among them (so why bother linking the article?). Geez, how did Kara do it? Because ND has 2 listed.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    And here's another one for you Phredd: espn also has the top-25 players in the tournament, and surprise, not a Dukie among them (so why bother linking the article?). Geez, how did Kara do it? Because ND has 2 listed.
    I read that writeup today and was looking for Celeste to show up in the 20-25 range. I guess being the best defender in the best conference counts for squat. I think VT had two listed also, and we beat each team.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Iona set an NCAA record for 15 consecutive 3-pointers in a game this year. Gulp!
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

espn has blurbs on every team here:

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...y-team-bracket

Fairy dust.

Iona set an NCAA record for 15 consecutive 3-pointers in a game this year. Gulp!
    If any team in the entire country is poised to snuff out that fire before it starts, it is Duke.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    If any team in the entire country is poised to snuff out that fire before it starts, it is Duke.
    Assuming we get by Iona, I'm guessing we'll face Colorado. That won't be an easy game.
    They beat #8 UCLA, #8 Utah, #14 Arizona. They also lost later to #18 Arizona, and it was a blowout. I'll probably watch some of the Colorado/MTSU game just to get a feel for them.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I won't link it for obvious reasons, partially because there is zero analysis, but 2 of the 3 espn "experts" don't have Duke getting out of Cameron. Further annoyingly, the "expert" that picks Duke says Colorado is the #3 seed in the region. Seriously, how do these people get (and hold) their jobs for the "worldwide leader"?

I won't link it for obvious reasons, partially because there is zero analysis, but 2 of the 3 espn "experts" don't have Duke getting out of Cameron. Further annoyingly, the "expert" that picks Duke says Colorado is the #3 seed in the region. Seriously, how do these people get (and hold) their jobs for the "worldwide leader"?
    Well like I posted, Colorado is a really good team. It wouldn't be hard to argue that they have the better record as compared to Duke. But the past doesn't define the future, and while I don't "expect" us to move to the Sweet Sixteen, I'm hopeful. (I won't be surprised either way, I'll put it that way.)

If it were the more popular men's bracket thread, I've got no doubt that posters would be screaming how Duke "got shafted" and is doomed. (I don't think either applies here, but all you've got to do is look at the Oral Roberts thread to see where I'm coming from.)

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Well like I posted, Colorado is a really good team. It wouldn't be hard to argue that they have the better record as compared to Duke. But the past doesn't define the future, and while I don't "expect" us to move to the Sweet Sixteen, I'm hopeful. (I won't be surprised either way, I'll put it that way.)

If it were the more popular men's bracket thread, I've got no doubt that posters would be screaming how Duke "got shafted" and is doomed. (I don't think either applies here, but all you've got to do is look at the Oral Roberts thread to see where I'm coming from.)
    I don't know where you're getting that. We're 25-6, they're 23-8. We're NET #10, they're #23. Our SOS is #10, theirs is #26. Our worst loss was to #24 NET FSU. theirs was to #75 Texas Tech. The ACC is a tougher conference than the PAC-12. I just don't see it.

I don't know where you're getting that. We're 25-6, they're 23-8. We're NET #10, they're #23. Our SOS is #10, theirs is #26. Our worst loss was to #24 NET FSU. theirs was to #75 Texas Tech. The ACC is a tougher conference than the PAC-12. I just don't see it.
    I'm on your side. I'm simply saying it wouldn't be hard for someone to debate it. Their two top 10 victories help. (We also had two.)
    I can see why only one of those "experts" you mentioned has Duke in the sweet sixteen. One also has MTSU moving forward.
    Regardless, getting out of Cameron isn't going to be a cake walk.

I'm on your side. I'm simply saying it wouldn't be hard for someone to debate it. Their two top 10 victories help. (We also had two.)
    I can see why only one of those "experts" you mentioned has Duke in the sweet sixteen. One also has MTSU moving forward.
    Regardless, getting out of Cameron isn't going to be a cake walk.
    True, but I'm pretty confident (which is worth nothing ). We've been tough at home.

The last few games were a slog, admittedly. But uNC is always a wrestling match and Virginia Tech is the hottest team in the country not named South Carolina. Coming at the end of the grind that is the ACC, and considering the way we play defense, being a bit tired should not be unexpected. This 2-week rest was badly needed. Until February, we were pretty consistently scoring over 60 PPG. Not great, but plenty considering our defense.

For the hell of it I filled out my ESPN women's bracket. I have us shocking the world with Kara staying 100% against Caitlin Clark and Iowa, but losing to Stanford.

For the hell of it I filled out my ESPN women's bracket. I have us shocking the world with Kara staying 100% against Caitlin Clark and Iowa, but losing to Stanford.
    I have them meeting Caitlin Clark and Co., but, alas, I think that's where the journey ends this year. I don't think even our defense will have an answer for someone who shoots from the logo and who makes her teammates better. If we can can find some scoring, yes, but I just don't think we're going to keep Iowa in the low 60s. I'll be happy to be wrong about that, though, because it will mean we're a Sweet Sixteen team, and that hasn't happened in a while. Here's hoping those first two games go our way.

I have them meeting Caitlin Clark and Co., but, alas, I think that's where the journey ends this year. I don't think even our defense will have an answer for someone who shoots from the logo and who makes her teammates better. If we can can find some scoring, yes, but I just don't think we're going to keep Iowa in the low 60s. I'll be happy to be wrong about that, though, because it will mean we're a Sweet Sixteen team, and that hasn't happened in a while. Here's hoping those first two games go our way.
    Of course Duke beat Iowa 79-64 in their last meeting in Dec. 2021 in Durham. Iowa was coming off a 2-week, self-imposed Covid-break and played poorly, shooting only 40% overall and 16% on threes. Clark still managed to get 22 points but they were mostly in garbage time. The Iowa coach praised Duke's defense but also stated they were very rusty from 15 days off. Coach Lawson praised her team for keying on Clark and challenging all of her shots. Perhaps its not very indicative of what we will see if these teams meet again, but there is some familiarity.

Heck, it's been 5 years since we were even in the Tourney! Who would have ever thought that? Yes, there were some COVID effects on that, but it's been since the first 2 years of Coach G's tenure that we missed 2 years in a row.

espn now has 12 "experts" weighing in with Final Four picks. Interestingly, 11 of the 12 have #2 seed Iowa advancing over Stanford. Iowa would be our Sweet Sixteen matchup if we both survive this weekend.

As I expected, Miles (ND) is out for the Tourney. Nice of ND to tell everyone after the seeds were announced. The committee is supposed to take injuries into account, and if a school won't tell them anything, they should assume the worst.

In bad news for FSU, their star freshman Latson is out for the Tourney as well.

Neither team might survive this weekend.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...on-knee-injury

As I expected, Miles (ND) is out for the Tourney. Nice of ND to tell everyone after the seeds were announced. The committee is supposed to take injuries into account, and if a school won't tell them anything, they should assume the worst.

In bad news for FSU, their star freshman Latson is out for the Tourney as well.

Neither team might survive this weekend.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...on-knee-injury
    Facts, and in very poor form from ND. If they don't make it out of South Bend, I won't be sad.

Four ACC teams start their journey today.
    FSU vs UGA 1:30 ESPN2
    ND vs SUU 3:30 ESPN2
    VT vs UTC 5:30 ESPNU
    NCSU vs Princeton 10:00 ESPN2 (Will Princeton have two teams in the round of 32?)
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 03-17-2023 at 11:50 AM.

Late in the 4th, FSU is packing their bags and warming up the bus. Losing by double digits to Georgia.