Thread: Bobby Hurley

Bobby Hurley

If you'd like to hear a Bobby Hurley interview, check out today's "Pardon my Take" podcast. Starts about midway through.

Fun stories about his family situation, his early coaching career, his Duke recruitment, etc.

https://open.spotify.com/show/5ss1pqMFqWjkOpt6Ag0fZW

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    If you'd like to hear a Bobby Hurley interview, check out today's "Pardon my Take" podcast. Starts about midway through.

Fun stories about his family situation, his early coaching career, his Duke recruitment, etc.

Thank you for sharing this! Bobby will always be my favorite Duke player! (I'm in the minority on DBR in overlooking the past and rooting for UConn because I can't not support Danny Hurley!) So I'm always excited to listen to what Bobby has to say. He's going to get there eventually with ASU. I know it!
    You might call it an obsession, we call it Duke Basketball!

Years ago my son was attending Duke basketball camp...we were walking towards Cameron and Bobby rode up on his bicycle. He saw us and said "how yous guys doin?"..made my son's day!

Thanks for sharing. I'm not usually a podcast fan but that was a lot of fun. On TV he comes across as pretty serious and intense but he has a good sense of humor.

Another interview with Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by kmmk View Post
    Thank you for sharing this! Bobby will always be my favorite Duke player! (I'm in the minority on DBR in overlooking the past and rooting for UConn because I can't not support Danny Hurley!) So I'm always excited to listen to what Bobby has to say. He's going to get there eventually with ASU. I know it!
    I'm a huge Hurley fan and will always be. But unless ASU decides to put more money into its program, upgrade its facilities and get its NIL in order, it will be an uphill battle for any coach to be truly successful at ASU. The loss of UCLA/USC only hurts the rest of the Pac-12 in status and money. I predict the conference of champions may not be a power conference for long, or will be in just name only. I think the best way Hurley can succeed is somewhere else. If he can get into the tournament again and win some games, some better program will poach him.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

I was a little peeved to see another rival in the five timers’ club, but seeing the unmitigated joy on Bobby’s face last night made it all worth it.

I don’t hate UConn as much now that John C. Calhoun is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    I'm a huge Hurley fan and will always be. But unless ASU decides to put more money into its program, upgrade its facilities and get its NIL in order, it will be an uphill battle for any coach to be truly successful at ASU. The loss of UCLA/USC only hurts the rest of the Pac-12 in status and money. I predict the conference of champions may not be a power conference for long, or will be in just name only. I think the best way Hurley can succeed is somewhere else. If he can get into the tournament again and win some games, some better program will poach him.

9F
    I think this year’s tournament is evidence that you don’t have to be in a power football conference to succeed in basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I think this year’s tournament is evidence that you don’t have to be in a power football conference to succeed in basketball.
    Agree and have long believed this may be Duke’s fate. Landing in the Big East for BBall and relegated to an AAC-type conference in football is likely worst case for us if ACC implodes and we’re outside looking in. We’d struggle funding other sports without the bigger TV money but we’d survive. And maybe win another NCAA championship or 2 in BBall.

Quote Originally Posted by kmmk View Post
    May I ask why? Is it simply his relationship to Bobby?

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    I've been following Bobby and his career since his playing days at Duke. When he was still playing at Duke and Danny was at Seton Hall, I started following his career as well. So I've been keeping track of Danny and his progress all the way through is coaching career, back to his first job as an assistant coach with Rutgers in the late 90s. So I've essentially been following both of them for over 30 years at this point.
    You might call it an obsession, we call it Duke Basketball!

There is no doubt the skills Danny acquired in the wake of his difficult time as a young man at Seton Hall have served him well in coaching and in life. He’s the kind of guy whose success is endearing and relatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    Danny Hurley brought his brother back into basketball, after Bobby spent a number of years (after his gruesome injury) in the world of horse racing. When Danny got the head coaching job at Wagner, he brought Bobby in as an assistant. When Danny moved to Seton Hall, Bobby went with him. Bobby got enough leverage from this to win the head coaching job at Buffalo, where he did pretty well and moved to AZ State where he still is the head coach.

Without Danny's assistance, who knows what Bobby would be doing today?

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Danny Hurley brought his brother back into basketball, after Bobby spent a number of years (after his gruesome injury) in the world of horse racing. When Danny got the head coaching job at Wagner, he brought Bobby in as an assistant. When Danny moved to Seton Hall, Bobby went with him. Bobby got enough leverage from this to win the head coaching job at Buffalo, where he did pretty well and moved to AZ State where he still is the head coach.

All well stated and correct except Danny went to Rhode Island after Wagner, not Seton Hall.

Given what has been said about their relationship, they could have made an incredible reality show about the two of them coaching together, particularly with the younger brother in charge.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post

Probably hanging around with a bunch of guys under 5' instead of a bunch of guys over 6'.
    I'm with you, without Danny, Bobby ain't in the game.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    All well stated and correct except Danny went to Rhode Island after Wagner, not Seton Hall.
    Dang it, I did it again, didn't I?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I don’t hate UConn as much now that John C. Calhoun is gone.
    who is John C. Calhoun? Any relation to James A. Calhoun?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    who is John C. Calhoun? Any relation to James A. Calhoun?
    John C. Calhoun was from South Carolina and was a US Representative in Congress, Secretary of War, VP of the US under John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson, US Senator from SC, then Secretary of State, then became became US Senator from SC util 1850. His run was from 1811 to 1850. Much longer than the Calhoun from CT.

Thanks for posting. Hurley is my all-time favorite Duke player. I liked when he said that Steve Fisher was maybe the only recruiting call he actually answered because his Dad filtered the process and there were no cell phones. When the hosts asked how much money Fisher offered him, Bobby immediately answered that everyone knew not to try that with his Dad because he was already well-known as a coach of other top talent and had too much integrity. I also liked his story about Bobby Knight going rogue in the final scene in "Blue Chips" and instructing the team not to allow the climactic Penny to Shaq alley oop.