Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Too bad we got tournament threads dedicated to Jeff Capel and Bobby Hurley, but not Kenny Blakeney. So I'll repurpose this one.

Howard lost 96-68 to Kansas, the Thanos of the college basketball world. (The Jayhawks don't actively win games; the wins are just inevitable.)

I didn't see the game, but it looks like MEAC Rookie of the Year Shy Odom shot 5-for-9 from the field and 5-for-6 from the stripe to finish with 15 points and 8 rebounds. MEAC First Teamer Elijah Hawkins added 12 points and 8 assists, but also had 7 turnovers. Two more starters scored in double digits.

Congratulations to Coach Blakeney and Assistant Coach Thornton, and the whole team. It would be great to see them return to the NCAA Tournament next year; up to 3 of their reserves (there are 2 grad students and a 4-year senior) would depart. Of course, movement between schools is a lot more fluid now, and there's no guarantee that any of them, including the coaches, stick around.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Too bad we got tournament threads dedicated to Jeff Capel and Bobby Hurley, but not Kenny Blakeney. So I'll repurpose this one.

Howard lost 96-68 to Kansas, the Thanos of the college basketball world. (The Jayhawks don't actively win games; the wins are just inevitable.)

I didn't see the game, but it looks like MEAC Rookie of the Year Shy Odom shot 5-for-9 from the field and 5-for-6 from the stripe to finish with 15 points and 8 rebounds. MEAC First Teamer Elijah Hawkins added 12 points and 8 assists, but also had 7 turnovers. Two more starters scored in double digits.

Congratulations to Coach Blakeney and Assistant Coach Thornton, and the whole team. It would be great to see them return to the NCAA Tournament next year; up to 3 of their reserves (there are 2 grad students and a 4-year senior) would depart. Of course, movement between schools is a lot more fluid now, and there's no guarantee that any of them, including the coaches, stick around.
    The first half was really good. Howard had the game tied pretty deep into it. But there was just too much talent to overcome and the second half was the more expectable story.

Still, hell of an achievement by Kenny and the Bison.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The first half was really good. Howard had the game tied pretty deep into it. But there was just too much talent to overcome and the second half was the more expectable story.

Still, hell of an achievement by Kenny and the Bison.
    Agreed. Howard hung in there for a while. it's always good when it's not a blowout, if only for the sake of the 16-seed's fans. They should get to cheer and be excited a bit. But the end score was pretty much expected.

Howard has nothing to hang their heads about. Let's see if Blakeney can keep it going. If Gonzaga can come out of nowhere in the 90s and become a perennial power 25 years later, why not Howard? I'd root for them (except over you know who).

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.