Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ivy League colluding by having no athetic scholarships?

Where there's a will, or a way, there's a lawsuit.

A couple of basketball players are suing the Ivy League, and seeking class action status, for not providing athletic scholarships.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...larship-policy
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post

A couple of basketball players are suing the Ivy League, and seeking class action status, for not providing athletic scholarships.

It could go many ways- including the elimination of sports programs altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post

I’m not impressed with plaintiffs’ legal theory of recovery for a few different reasons. I would be surprised if this goes anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I’m not impressed with plaintiffs’ legal theory of recovery for a few different reasons. I would be surprised if this goes anywhere.
    My feeling as well. First thought: Where is the obligation to provide an athletic scholarship? No one is forcing them to go to an Ivy League school, or to play a sport.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

OPK and dudog84 are much smarter than I am.
    I only laughed at the article.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    OPK and dudog84 are much smarter than I am.
    Provably false.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Provably false.
    Speak for yourself.

The hallowed hallmark of America, the lawsuit. Not surprised it comes from players at Brown.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

If this complaint survives a motion to dismiss for failure to state a claim, I’ll be shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    If this complaint survives a motion to dismiss for failure to state a claim, I’ll be shocked.
    Yeah, I hope so.

Nobody forced them to go to an Ivy League School. Some, but certainly not all of them, had the opportunity to earn an athletic scholarship elsewher.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Yeah, I hope so.

Nobody forced them to go to an Ivy League School. Some, but certainly not all of them, had the opportunity to earn an athletic scholarship elsewher.
    Yup. Here is the basic theory as I see it:

1. Ivy schools are incomparable, and thus are a whole separate class from Duke, Stanford, wherever.
    2. If I am a great athlete, and I choose to play a sport, I am entitled to compensation by having a scholarship.
    3. The incomparable Ivies therefore do not compensate me properly for voluntarily playing sports at their schools.

Good luck with any one of those steps, let alone all three.

As the father of a former Brown varsity athlete this is upsetting. It misrepresents the athletes from many sports I met there. We knew the deal, and made our choice.
    There are so many flaws in their arguments.

I am giving consideration to bringing an action against Duke Law School. I also did not receive a scholarship. Athletic or otherwise. In hindsight, seems very unfair.

I do not know who I dislike more – the idiot lawyers who put forward these cases or the idiot kids who slap their name on the lawsuit.

The Executive Director of Ivy League Athletics is Robin Harris, a graduate of Duke undergraduate and Duke law who practiced law at Ice Miller, a prestigious national law firm before coming to the Ivy League. I have no doubt she'll be all over this lawsuit very early on.

Quote Originally Posted by Maged View Post
    The Executive Director of Ivy League Athletics is Robin Harris, a graduate of Duke undergraduate and Duke law who practiced law at Ice Miller, a prestigious national law firm before coming to the Ivy League. I have no doubt she'll be all over this lawsuit very early on.
    I am not so sure about the “prestigious” part regarding Ice Miller (their national prestige is close to nil)- but I have no doubt that the Ivy League will retain sophisticated outside litigation counsel to assist. Cost will be of no consequence.

This is going to be a horribly worded sentence, but here we go: Aren’t there a lot of things that we aren’t “entitled” to receive, yet we still don’t allow collusion to control the market for them? We don’t allow domestic cartels to work together to set prices for commodities, but in this case there’s a cartel that controls terms offered to athletes at Ivies.

IANAL so please be gentle

What is the burden of proof for a judge to penalize someone for filing a completely frivolous suit that wastes the court's time? Or for sanctioning a lawyer for bringing such a case? This seems to come pretty close to qualifying.

First (second and third) of all, Ivy League students of moderate means get a lot of academic aid, whether or not they are athletes. So, the complaint is that a jock whose family income is $500 thou+ doesn't get a scholarship? Color me unimpressed.

Duke and Stanford specifically cited in the suit as top academic schools which do offer athletic scholarships fwiw

Quote Originally Posted by Maged View Post
    . . . who practiced law at Ice Miller, a prestigious national law firm
    Whoa. Ice Miller? I picked the wrong law firms to interview with.