Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    What happens if Syracuse gets a NIT bid?

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

I'll never forget Boeheim running circles on coach K court back in 2014 I think.Thanks again coach for winning your only natty against Roy when he was at Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    His final ACC moment was losing an early round Tournament game on a buzzer beater in Greensboro.

He never really liked the ACC and vice versa. A fitting end.
    After a great first year in the league in 2014 (28-6 overall, 2nd in the ACC at 14-4, though a lousy postseason), over the last 9 years the Orange have gone 172-125 (~19-14 on average) overall and 84-82 (~9-9) in conference play, never finishing higher than 6th, though they did make the 2016 Final Four. They haven't won 20 games or finished above .500 in ACC play since 2019.

Not the most graceful exit perhaps, but it was clearly time.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    It was a great career for Boeheim. Congrats to him.

It was probably time, frankly.

Is Syracuse a good job? I've always kind of expected that, when someone like him is gone from Cuse, they will go the way of Georgetown, struggling to find coaching and/or relevance. Although, I sort of expected the same from UConn, and that was almost true until Danny Hurley flipped the script. Louisville is still in this realm too (maybe most surprisingly).

- Chillin
    Kevin Ollie won a national championship at UConn post Calhoun. I know Ollie ran into NCAA compliance issues after that, but the natty wasn't stripped. Of course your point still stands. The traditional basketball powers that rocketed into prominence under legendary coaches won't necessarily maintain altitude when said coaches leave.

-c

Speaking of heading down to Greensboro and never making it back north, the Syracuse band yesterday played the Brass Bonanza - the theme song of the Hartford Whalers. Fitting.

This was awkwardly handled by all parties. It is evident that this was not his choice, and the fact that they were ready to announce his successor says it has been in the works for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    Speaking of heading down to Greensboro and never making it back north, the Syracuse band yesterday played the Brass Bonanza - the theme song of the Hartford Whalers. Fitting.

This was awkwardly handled by all parties. It is evident that this was not his choice, and the fact that they were ready to announce his successor says it has been in the works for some time.
    Very awkwardly handled. Instead of "Jim Boeheim Announces his Retirement", shouldn't the thread be titled "Syracuse Announces Jim Boeheim's retirement (after Boeheim dares them to do so)".

Boeheim also is a prominent member of the Wilford Brimley club - an organization I just invented (unless I heard it somewhere else and am not remembering which is entirely possible). Based on the criteria of Boeheim and Brimley, can anyone posit a guess as to this club's entrance criteria?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Boeheim also is a prominent member of the Wilford Brimley club - an organization I just invented (unless I heard it somewhere else and am not remembering which is entirely possible). Based on the criteria of Boeheim and Brimley, can anyone posit a guess as to this club's entrance criteria?
    Being old?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Being old?
    Good one...it does have something to do with age and appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by cruxer View Post
    Kevin Ollie won a national championship at UConn post Calhoun. I know Ollie ran into NCAA compliance issues after that, but the natty wasn't stripped. Of course your point still stands. The traditional basketball powers that rocketed into prominence under legendary coaches won't necessarily maintain altitude when said coaches leave.

-c
    He won a championship with Calhoun's players and promptly tanked the program with his own, going 75-61 over the next 4 years with losing records in the last two.

Yes, you get my point. And there's a secondary point in there also that certain schools in certain situations feel like odd fits for perpetual basketball powerhouses. Syracuse seems to fit (or not fit, I guess is my point) that mold, at least the way I view the landscape.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Is Syracuse a good job? I've always kind of expected that, when someone like him is gone from Cuse, they will go the way of Georgetown, struggling to find coaching and/or relevance. Although, I sort of expected the same from UConn, and that was almost true until Danny Hurley flipped the script. Louisville is still in this realm too (maybe most surprisingly).
    One could raise a similar question about any private school with high academic standards (obviously UCOnn doesn't fit this category either way) in a less than ideal location. For example, Duke. Though we hope that we're able to avoid it, it's definitely still a risk given that we're a difficult, private school in a pleasant-for-families-but-not-terribly-exciting destination for 18 year olds.

Syracuse still has NYC area cred that, if a good coach/recruiter comes he can still make it work. Boeheim stopped recruiting at an elite level years ago. But Syracuse has the alums and the NYC fanbase to turn things around. Their biggest threat is UConn, which appears to have avoided potential collapse thanks to the Hurley hire.

Louisville's issue is finding a good coach. They found an okay coach after Pitino, but that coach wasn't good enough and his personality didn't make up for it. And now they have Kenny Payne. But if they land the right coach (or if Payne magically learns how to coach), they would be in a better position than Duke given their public school status and heavy-hitting donors.

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Good one...it does have something to do with age and appearance.
    Oatmeal?
    Diabetes?

John Feinstein has an excellent article in The Washington Post titled “Boeheim deserved right to exit on his terms”.

Is Paul Johnson a member too?

"This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I am curious to hear “the rest of the story” on this. Dickie V tweeted something to the effect that it was a cold split between JB and Syracuse.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I am curious to hear “the rest of the story” on this. Dickie V tweeted something to the effect that it was a cold split between JB and Syracuse.
    I could swear that like... 6 or 7 years ago maybe, Jimmy B had put in a succession plan and was intending to leave after some sort of controversy or school issues.

I’m not sure, but Manny Ramirez passed the Brimley/Cocoon line in Feb: https://twitter.com/BrimleyLine/status/1628526195619799040?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I’m not sure, but Manny Ramirez passed the Brimley/Cocoon line in Feb: https://twitter.com/BrimleyLine/stat...619799040?s=20
    That's just manny being manny.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I could swear that like... 6 or 7 years ago maybe, Jimmy B had put in a succession plan and was intending to leave after some sort of controversy or school issues.
    Yep. In 2015 Syracuse announced that he was going to retire within 3 years. This was right after the NCAA took away 108 of his wins. It was generally understood that Mike Hopkins would be the next guy. Hopkins got tired of waiting and took the Washington job, where he may have already worn out his welcome.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...tire/24956965/

We are lucky that Coach K was so thoughtful about his retirement and transition.