Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    My guess would be:

Bacot (15.7 ppg, 10.8 rpg. 1.0 bpg)
    Appleby (18.8 ppg, 7.0 apg, 1.8 apg)
    Wong (15.5 ppg, 3.0 apg; best player on "best" team)
    Flip (15.0 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 0.9 bpg)
    Joiner (17.3 ppg, 3.5 apg; could flipflop Smith and Joiner too)

Smith (16.8 ppg, 3.8 apg)
    Tyson (16.4 ppg, 9.9 rpg)
    Beekman (5.5 apg, 1.6 spg)
    Burton (16.3 ppg, 4.4 apg, 1.8 spg)
    Hall (17.6 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 1.1 bpg)

Mutts (7.2 rpg, 5.5 apg, 1.5 spg, 0.8 bpg)
    Mintz (16.7 ppg, 4.8 apg)
    Davis (16.2 ppg, 3.2 apg)
    Hinson (15.7 ppg, 6.0 rpg)
    Omier (9.8 rpg, 1.4 bpg)

Honorable mention: Basile, Miller, Clark, Roach, Edwards
    I expect the actual votes will be pretty close to this. My only quibble would be that it is very hard to distinguish among Wong, Miller and Omier as most worthy for Regular Season Co-Champ and #1 Seed Miami. Especially when you look at their production in conference play. I would be surprised if all 3 don't make it.

Flip got robbed (2nd team)! Glad to see D.Live make the all rookie and all D squad while Proctor was also all Rookie. Props to Capel for earning Coach of the Year.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/filipo...team/20750217/

Wong wins POY.

Happy for Coach Capel, III for winning ACC Coach of the Year. I think he has a great future at Pitt.

Not one vote for Scheyer.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Happy for Coach Capel, III for winning ACC Coach of the Year. I think he has a great future at Pitt.
    Yes! Huge congrats! I was wondering if he'd hold on given their recent slide.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    From the awards announcement story.

Duke’s Filipowski is the only freshman nationally – and one of just eight power conference players overall – averaging at least 15 points and nine rebounds. The 7-foot center from Westtown, New York, leads all Division I freshmen with 14 double-doubles, which tie for fourth-most all-time by a Duke freshman, matching the number posted by Zion Williamson, Jabari Parker and Gene Banks.
    With his ninth ACC Rookie of the Week honor 2022-23 announced Monday, Filipowski tied for fourth-most such honors in a season in league history. He is the fifth Blue Devil in the last six years to win the ACC Rookie of the Year award, joining Marvin Bagley III (2018), Zion Williamson (2019), Vernon Carey Jr. (2020) and Paolo Banchero last season.
    https://theacc.com/news/2023/3/6/ath...on-honors.aspx

Very cool company!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Not one vote for Scheyer.
    Not surprising. Duke's regular season record was disappointing when compared to pre-season expectations. Coach Scheyer's best coaching accomplishments will be in future years (if not this post-season).

In the POY voting, Jeremy Roach picked up one vote. I'd love to know who it was, and their reasoning. Roach is great of course, but that one's a bit of a head scratcher.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    In the POY voting, Jeremy Roach picked up one vote. I'd love to know who it was, and their reasoning. Roach is great of course, but that one's a bit of a head scratcher.
    Flip has put up the counting stats but I'd argue that Roach has been our best and most important player. He's made the most clutch baskets for the team that have directly led to wins and has been a steady veteran presence for our team.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeTrinity11 View Post
    Flip has put up the counting stats but I'd argue that Roach has been our best and most important player. He's made the most clutch baskets for the team that have directly led to wins and has been a steady veteran presence for our team.
    Oh I agree in terms of his value to Duke. But saying he was the best in the ACC this season is what I'm curious about.

Ryan Young was third in the voting for 6th man of the year, and Dariq Whitehead was fourth, or maybe fifth. We had three players on the all freshman team.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Generally, I don't have a huge problem with the choices.

- I thought Flip was borderline 1st team. He missed out by a measly 4 votes, so close. But congrats on ROY. It should have been unanimous.
    - Roach getting honorable mention is a little weak, but my bigger complaint would be his number of votes compared to Love, Davis or anyone from Louisville. Anyway, I hope he uses it as fuel.
    - Scheyer's result was probably the difference from initial expectations, but going undefeated at home should have meant something. That, and Duke coaches generally get shafted in ACC voting.

All-Freshman Team
    Kyle Filipowski, Duke, 75 votes
    Judah Mintz, Syracuse, 72
    Tyrese Proctor, Duke, 51
    JJ Starling, Notre Dame, 39
    Dereck Lively II, Duke, 39
    - Very cool. Imagine if Lively had been healthy all season. Also shows the staff did their job.

All-Defensive Team
    Reece Beekman, Virginia, 63 votes
    Jesse Edwards, Syracuse, 56
    Leaky Black, North Carolina, 55
    Dereck Lively II, Duke, 45
    Kihei Clark, Virginia, 26

- More respect for Lively. I think they printed Clark's age, though.

Sixth Man of the Year
    Nike Sibande, Pitt, 47 votes
    Ben Vander Plas, Virginia, 8
    Ryan Young, Duke, 7
    Dariq Whitehead, Duke, 6
    Bensley Joseph, Miami, 3
    Deivon Smith, Georgia Tech, 2
    Devin McGlockton, Boston College, 2

- Young did deserve some votes, but Whitehead's votes were surprising to me, given his injuries and never really getting on track.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Imported from this post in the Carolina postgame thread:

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    If I had to guess an All-ACC First Team, based on the voters' opinion and not mine:

Tyree Appleby, Wake Forest
    Armando Bacot, UNC
    Caleb Love, UNC
    Terquavion Smith, NC State
    Isaiah Wong, Miami
    I am so pleased to be so wrong. The ACC's official announcement has Hunter Tyson and Jamarius Burton on the All-ACC First Team instead of Caleb Love and Terquavion Smith.

The voters were appropriately unimpressed with UNC this time around. Armando Bacot, despite being one of 2 ACC players among the Wooden Award finalists, finished 3rd in POY voting. I thought Caleb Love's superficial numbers would fool them, but it appears the voters used their eyes this season and listed him and RJ Davis as honorable mentions. Leaky Black lost DPOY to Reece Beekman. And where's the COY sympathy vote for Hubert Davis, who did less with more than anyone else?

Some Jeremy Roach curiosities: he finished 19th in All-ACC voting but 8th for POY. He also got a vote for Most Improved Player, a category I did not see Duke crashing at all (especially when Jaylen Blakes became a non-factor).

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

Some Jeremy Roach curiosities: he finished 19th in All-ACC voting but 8th for POY. He also got a vote for Most Improved Player, a category I did not see Duke crashing at all (especially when Jaylen Blakes became a non-factor).
    Well, let's call it like it is for the POY vote. Roach got one vote from one writer with some special Duke blue glasses on (there's always one like that in any crowd - surprised that no Carolina writer voted for Black). I think this team would have been a NIT team if it wasn't for Roach... but POY is a big stretch.

I would have voted for Appleby. The only reason he didn't win was Wake's overall performance. But he carried that team. Not likely they will make the NCAAs, but they should go to the NIT. Without him, I think they would have been in with the Irish and the Cards for worst in the ACC.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

2022-2023 ACC Men’s Basketball Awards

https://theacc.com/news/2023/3/6/ath...on-honors.aspx

Makes sense Isaiah Wong, the best player on the top team, got POY. And Duke crushed Bacot’s hopes pretty soundly.

I get not placing any Blue Devils on first team. After all, we’ve become a very well balanced team. But I would switch Jeremy and Flip (largely for sentimental reasons). I wish Tyrese or Mitchell could have made all defensive team, but at least they recognized D Live.

Three Devils on all Rookie Team? Yessir! And Kyle as ROY makes nothing but sense.