Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ACC Men’s Basketball Awards for 2022-2023

I believe they’re announced today.

@AdamRoweTDD official Twitter account:

According to @kenpomeroy, Kyle Filipowski should not only be the ACC Rookie of the Year, but also the Player of the Year. Will find out later today if the voters agree.

036BA5D9-D0B7-482D-B242-0930E89A503D.jpg

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post

According to @kenpomeroy, Kyle Filipowski should not only be the ACC Rookie of the Year, but also the Player of the Year. Will find out later today if the voters agree.

He'd be a solid choice for sure. Has anyone ever been POY without ever being a POW? (I know he's gotten several weekly rookie awards.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post

Last I read KenPom agrees

No way the ACC writers elevate a Duke rookie over a unc senior for player of the year. So, Leaky Black?

-jk

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    For fun, here's the preseason picks.
    First team All-ACC
    Armando Bacot, North Carolina
    Isaiah Wong, Miami
    Caleb Love, North Carolina
    Terquavion Smith, NC State
    Jeremy Roach, Duke

Second team
    Jayden Gardner, Virginia
    Dereck Lively II, Duke
    Justyn Mutts, Virginia Tech
    PJ Hall, Clemson
    RJ Davis, North Carolina

Bacot was the preseason player of the year in a landslide. (80% of the vote)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I think Appleby ended up leading the league in scoring and assists. That may be hard to beat although the team didn’t do as well.

I feel like Appleby is at a disadvantage by virtue of playing for WF, which last year got POY and COY and ended up in the NIT. Probably not fair to Appleby but I would not be surprised if that is a factor.

Will be very pleasantly surprised if Flip gets POY. ROY is a given. He should be 1st team all-conference as well. I think Bacot as POY is too baked in to the voters’ heads, though, and it’s not like he’s a bad choice.

Roach possibly 2nd or 3rd team all-ACC.

Caleb Love deserves the award for having the most confidence in his shooting ability.

How about a Longest Tenure award for Leakey?

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    Caleb Love deserves the award for having the most confidence in his shooting ability.
    He definitely wins the Bill Simmons Irrational Confidence Man award.

If Appleby wins and the award is sponsored by Applebee's I call shenanigans...

It is interesting that some years there is a very clear cut first and sometimes even second team of players who passed the eye test as consistently dominant players. This year that really doesn't exist as much.

Bacot will most likely win the ACC POTY. He'll be an unusual award winner. Usually, it goes to the best player on the best team or the player that leads the conference in scoring. Bacot is neither of those. Tre Jones was neither of those, either, even though he won it in 2020. He was, however, the best player on one of the best teams. Bacot is not on one of the top teams in the conference. There just isn't a leading candidate out there among the other teams. Miami's Isaiah Wong has a decent chance, but is he more deserving that Tyree Appleby of Wake Forest (leading scorer and assister in the ACC)? How about Jarkel Joiner or Terquavion Smith? Kihei Clark and Reece Beeckman? What about Jamarius Burton? It seems there are a plethora of guards that are in the running that will split the ticket. Bacot will get the most votes and claim the award as a sort of career achievement prize.

I think the Kenpom list looks pretty accurate. Except I would substitute Wong for Omier. So, it would, or should, be:

Flip
    Bacot
    Appleby
    Wong
    T. Smith

However, I will be very pleasantly surprised if Flip makes 1st team, although he probably should. I think the voters may feel ROY is sufficient for Flip and put him on the 2nd team. And put some upperclassman like PJ Hall or Beekman or possibly someone from Pitt on the 1st team.

And I agree, the narrative is too baked in - Bacot will be POY, no matter who deserves it.

Lively should be on the all-defensive team. Unfortunately, Leaky Black may be defensive POY (again narrative too baked in for the 5th year player).

And I hope Roach makes 2nd or 3rd team.

I'd love to see Ryan Young win 6th man.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    I'd love to see Ryan Young win 6th man.
    How many games can a player start and still be considered 6th man? He's started 9 games this season, but none as of late. Would also love to see him win that award. I guess it's also viewed in the "ACC only" lens. He has started in 6 ACC games, I believe.

Remember when Luke Kennard got screwed over for Justin Jackson.

Anyone know when the winners are announced today?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    How about a Longest Tenure award for Leakey?
    Kihei Clark says hi.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

My guess would be:

Bacot (15.7 ppg, 10.8 rpg. 1.0 bpg)
    Appleby (18.8 ppg, 7.0 apg, 1.8 apg)
    Wong (15.5 ppg, 3.0 apg; best player on "best" team)
    Flip (15.0 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 0.9 bpg)
    Joiner (17.3 ppg, 3.5 apg; could flipflop Smith and Joiner too)

Smith (16.8 ppg, 3.8 apg)
    Tyson (16.4 ppg, 9.9 rpg)
    Beekman (5.5 apg, 1.6 spg)
    Burton (16.3 ppg, 4.4 apg, 1.8 spg)
    Hall (17.6 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 1.1 bpg)

Mutts (7.2 rpg, 5.5 apg, 1.5 spg, 0.8 bpg)
    Mintz (16.7 ppg, 4.8 apg)
    Davis (16.2 ppg, 3.2 apg)
    Hinson (15.7 ppg, 6.0 rpg)
    Omier (9.8 rpg, 1.4 bpg)

Honorable mention: Basile, Miller, Clark, Roach, Edwards

FYI Flip is Rookie of the Week again (9th time).