Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Not sure where it makes the most sense to put this... why not this thread? Bacot says he has not yet decided if he will turn pro or return to Carolina for a 5th season
    The best place to put it would be in a time machine that travels back to post #21.

(ducks)

After last year, I think Love took the longest to announce his decision to return. He did and posted on social media "let's run it back.". That leads me to think the thing that brought him back was the idea that they were so close to winning a title. If they don't even make the tournament this year, what's his motivation to come back?

I think he's the most Likely of those 3 to go to the draft, but he's the one I would most like to stay.

Wonder what our players think...

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Yeah, I think this is the most likely outcome. I'd love to beat them at the Dome, but I'm not at all thinking that will be the result.
    1st, DBA, thank you for your marvelous pre-game analysis. I don't know what your deal is, but I'm pretty sure that you are under-compensated.

Conventional "wisdom" is that the Heels have the advantage on their own court, and that they are fighting to make the NCAAT. But what is the mindset of our own team? That the Heels "deserve" to win, given the stakes? That the outcome is to some extent predetermined?

I fervently believe that such is not the case. Our team has been growing steadily in toughness, smartness and togetherness. I am confident that our team wants to bring it. If we play with confidence and poise, can we hang with the Heels? I have zero doubt. Game on!

And I continue to pinch myself with respect that we can participate in one of the GOAT rivalries!

Go Duke!
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    1st, DBA, thank you for your marvelous pre-game analysis. I don't know what your deal is, but I'm pretty sure that you are under-compensated.

Conventional "wisdom" is that the Heels have the advantage on their own court, and that they are fighting to make the NCAAT. But what is the mindset of our own team? That the Heels "deserve" to win, given the stakes? That the outcome is to some extent predetermined?

I fervently believe that such is not the case. Our team has been growing steadily in toughness, smartness and togetherness. I am confident that our team wants to bring it. If we play with confidence and poise, can we hang with the Heels? I have zero doubt. Game on!

And I continue to pinch myself with respect that we can participate in one of the GOAT rivalries!

Go Duke!
    I wonder if that "fighting to make the NCAAT" puts more undue pressure on them... similar to Duke "trying" to win the last home game for Coach K. unc might just have "too much pressure". GO DUKE!!!

so well put...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I am not as vehement a UNC hater as many. I haven't truly HATED a Tar Heel player in several years. I don't hate Bacot. I can actually easily imagine him in ugly blue for another year - especially in this NIL universe. Certainly many UNC boosters would pony up to have him "represent" their brand.

And, honestly, I don't think it's a terrible thing. Our program is dying for kids to stick for a second year. Or a third. We'd fall all over ourselves for a fifth year player.

Bacot isn't a "bad" guy. He just plays on the other side of town. Coach K clearly respected him immensely.

I just hope he is very very sad in about 49 hours.
    Dear Mt Devil [auto correct: please insert all or our NCAAT championship years],

I appreciate your rational, non-tribal perspective. Bacot is an outstanding player and from what we have heard, an exemplary teammate and a coach's delight. I admire his tenacity around the basket.

My wish for Bacot is that he excels in every game except one.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

my thoughts exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I wonder if that "fighting to make the NCAAT" puts more undue pressure on them... similar to Duke "trying" to win the last home game for Coach K. unc might just have "too much pressure". GO DUKE!!!
    I'm with you, gep. I think we are playing with house money. Go get em!

For what it's worth, Duke made the Top Ten Power Rankings at CBS Sports, thanks to:

- Going undefeated at home,
    - Winning 8 of their last 10 (and should have been 9 of 10), and
    - Holding 26 of their 30 opponents under their scoring average.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-hey-nineteen/

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    Dear Mt Devil [auto correct: please insert all or our NCAAT championship years],

I appreciate your rational, non-tribal perspective. Bacot is an outstanding player and from what we have heard, an exemplary teammate and a coach's delight. I admire his tenacity around the basket.

My wish for Bacot is that he excels in every game except one.
    I, on the other hand, have a tribal perspective. I think Bacot is an outstanding player, and from everything I know about him, he is a fine human being.

My wish for Bacot is that he excels in no games whatsoever until he removes the stench of baby blue.

My biggest concerns are in this order; 1) the refs put Lively in foul trouble. I'm ok with Derrick getting called for fouls he actually commits, but I'm not ok with fouls that are fouls on him but not on the cheats. 2) We turn the ball over too many times, especially the TOs that lead to fast break points. 3) We are ice cold from three and continue to shoot them anyway. 4) We give up early threes that get the cheat crowd going nuts. We need those fans to be the wine and cheese fans like in times past.

As for Bacot, I respected him until he said; I hate Jeremy Roach. Now he can crawl back under his pet rock.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    My biggest concerns are in this order; 1) the refs put Lively in foul trouble. I'm ok with Derrick getting called for fouls he actually commits, but I'm not ok with fouls that are fouls on him but not on the cheats. 2) We turn the ball over too many times, especially the TOs that lead to fast break points. 3) We are ice cold from three and continue to shoot them anyway. 4) We give up early threes that get the cheat crowd going nuts. We need those fans to be the wine and cheese fans like in times past.

As for Bacot, I respected him until he said; I hate Jeremy Roach. Now he can crawl back under his pet rock.

GoDuke!
    The good news for #2 is we have actually protected the ball better as of late, and the cheats come in at 345th in the nation in Turnover Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    The good news for #2 is we have actually protected the ball better as of late, and the cheats come in at 345th in the nation in Turnover Defense.
    Yes, we have been much better handling the basketball lately and we only turned it over 12 times in the first game. I just don't want to see our guys get rattled by the cheat crowd. I still have the 2nd Miami game in the back of my mind.

GoDuke!

Yes, we have been much better handling the basketball lately and we only turned it over 12 times in the first game. I just don't want to see our guys get rattled by the cheat crowd. I still have the 2nd Miami game in the back of my mind.

GoDuke!
    Carolina doesnt have that type of team makeup, not with Bacot and Nance on the floor. They arent gonna bring mass ball pressure like Miami did, cause they dont want to leave Bacot and Nance on an island once we break the pressure.

Miami did a great job of taking advantage of their edge in quickness and masking their deficiency in height.

With all due respect, I think y’all are underestimating how important this game is to our Sweet Devils. We’re done with the cozy confines of Cameron and are determined to prove ourselves in a hostile gym, in preparation for tournaments. Scheyer has figured out how to motivate this team. Proctor’s improvement has been dramatic, Lively has found the level he’s been predicted to achieve.

I predict we’ll win by five.

Besides, Carolina just ain’t that good.

I am not as vehement a UNC hater as many. I haven't truly HATED a Tar Heel player in several years. I don't hate Bacot. I can actually easily imagine him in ugly blue for another year - especially in this NIL universe. Certainly many UNC boosters would pony up to have him "represent" their brand.

And, honestly, I don't think it's a terrible thing. Our program is dying for kids to stick for a second year. Or a third. We'd fall all over ourselves for a fifth year player.

Bacot isn't a "bad" guy. He just plays on the other side of town. Coach K clearly respected him immensely.

I just hope he is very very sad in about 49 hours.
    You must not have been in the Cam last year for the final K game. Caleb made the rounds pointing at the crowd and mocking us for the loss.

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    Carolina doesnt have that type of team makeup, not with Bacot and Nance on the floor. They arent gonna bring mass ball pressure like Miami did, cause they dont want to leave Bacot and Nance on an island once we break the pressure.

Miami did a great job of taking advantage of their edge in quickness and masking their deficiency in height.
    I agree Love and Davis are not on the same level as some other teams. Miami and NC State have the quick guards that seem to give our guards trouble. However, Tyrese and Jeremy stepped up against State in the 2nd game. I hope Tyrese dogs Love into a terrible shooting night and Jeremy does the same to Davis.

GoDuke!

I agree Love and Davis are not on the same level as some other teams. Miami and NC State have the quick guards that seem to give our guards trouble. However, Tyrese and Jeremy stepped up against State in the 2nd game. I hope Tyrese dogs Love into a terrible shooting night and Jeremy does the same to Davis.

GoDuke!
    In the first matchup, Love shot 5-15 while Davis was 5-16. More importantly, the two combined for 0-1 from the FT line. Both Roach and Proctor were excellent on defense all game. Duke has to keep them off the FT line.

On offense, Roach and Proctor settled for a lot of mid-range jumpers and combined for 5-19 on such shots. They need to either take it to the rim and force Bacot to commit or kick it out to an open shooter. Duke needs to stop shooting so many mid-range jumpers. A few strategic shots from Roach are fine, but 19 mid-range jumpers is way too many. They took 11 3's the entire game. I'd rather they take 20 3's and 5-10 mid-range jumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilYouKnow View Post
    You must not have been in the Cam last year for the final K game. Caleb made the rounds pointing at the crowd and mocking us for the loss.
    Love is absolutely the most hateable Tar Heel on this roster. He just doesn't rise to the level of Vince Carter, Haywood, Lawson, Montross or other truly evil Tar Heels.

Love is absolutely the most hateable Tar Heel on this roster. He just doesn't rise to the level of Vince Carter, Haywood, Lawson, Montross or other truly evil Tar Heels.
    He’s not good enough to summon such bile.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    In the first matchup, Love shot 5-15 while Davis was 5-16. More importantly, the two combined for 0-1 from the FT line. Both Roach and Proctor were excellent on defense all game. Duke has to keep them off the FT line.

On offense, Roach and Proctor settled for a lot of mid-range jumpers and combined for 5-19 on such shots. They need to either take it to the rim and force Bacot to commit or kick it out to an open shooter. Duke needs to stop shooting so many mid-range jumpers. A few strategic shots from Roach are fine, but 19 mid-range jumpers is way too many. They took 11 3's the entire game. I'd rather they take 20 3's and 5-10 mid-range jumpers.
    For the most part, I agree, but Jeremy has been sneaky good (41%) in the mid-range for the season. During Duke's current win streak, he is 14/21 (67%) in the mid-range but only 5/21 (42%) from 3. Jeremy seems really comfortable taking those mid-range shots, and I would like to see him keep taking them.

The one thing I noticed is that Duke this season hasn't won a game the nerd stats predicted they would lose. I think Saturday is the perfect time to flip that script.

With so many truly despicable choices, how could Love hope to compete?