Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Right now I would give Whitehead more minutes and Grandison less, although neither are likely to get major minutes unless a starter gets injured.

What great performances from Proctor and Roach. I don't remember the last time we were able to blow past our defenders on the perimeter like that. Seems like it's always the other team doing that to us. Credit to everybody on here who saw the potential in Proctor earlier in the season.

In Year 1, Scheyer has won 22 games, beaten each of our in-state rivals, and went undefeated at home. We have likely locked up an NCAA bid. That's very nice. This team has improved enough that it is reasonable to want more, with March here tomorrow.

In terms of shot creation, this was a blowout. Duke shot 22 shots at the rim and 29 free throws. State shot just 15 times at the rim with 8 free throws. We forced State into taking a whopping 25 midrange jumpers.

Defense:

- Particular credit to Proctor, who shut down Smith after shutting down Cattour on Saturday - two wildly different assignments. This time, he did it by winning the mind games with Terq. I noticed early on that he was pushing off on Proctor almost every time down the court. Eventually, Proctor was able to goad him into a technical foul. Do we get that call on the road? Maybe, maybe not. But it was certainly warranted

- I thought our D on Burns was hit and miss. I really liked the possessions where Flip would stunt, then recover. Sometimes we helped to quickly and Burns made nice passes. Other times Burns just went one on one and scored. Thankfully, we bothered him enough that he missed some makeable shots in the second half.

- Joiner - Sometimes you just have to tip your cap. That kid was amazing. I really don't have a problem with the way we defended him. He went 6/12 from 3, and just about all of them were contested shots off the dribble.

- Rebounding - Really the only thing I would like to change about the effort on defense. It wasn't terrible, but it could have been better.

Offense:

- I loved the poise from our guards. What a turnaround from the first game.

- We have found our closer, and his name is Jeremy Roach. I loved the way he identified his advantage and drove every time we put Burns in a ballscreen. And then when State packed it in more at the end of his game, he hit a couple of big jumpers in the lane.

- It was a solid, balanced offensive performance, with one exception: we went 2/19 from 3. Shoot a decent percentage, and we're up 20-25 instead of 12 going into the last couple of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Right now I would give Whitehead more minutes and Grandison less, although neither are likely to get major minutes unless a starter gets injured.
    Grandison occasionally gives Duke a boost,but not tonight. The team hardly looked for Whitehead tonight. It was odd. He was wide open at least twice. He needs to be integrated into the offense.

Miscellaneous:

What an intense game -- kind of like an NCAA tournament game
    Yeah, Duke's 3-point shooting was bad, but we overcame that and a determined opponent to get an important win
    Roach and Proctor are showing championship potential as a backcourt duo
    T. Smith from NC State has gone to the top of my most disliked ACC players -- should let his game do the talking and skip the egotistical displays
    Is there a stat for most 3-point shots allowed in the last minute of a game? We've had some but so far it's affected the point spread, not the outcome.

If we got the 2 wins we should have had at UVA and VT, we'd be a top 15 team and in first place in the conference, ready to make a run for a 2-seed.

IMO, State's defense was the best that Duke has faced in Cameron this year. Shortened the shot clock on us. Created turns.
    They're good.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Miscellaneous:

What an intense game -- kind of like an NCAA tournament game
    Yeah, Duke's 3-point shooting was bad, but we overcame that and a determined opponent to get an important win
    Roach and Proctor are showing championship potential as a backcourt duo
    T. Smith from NC State has gone to the top of my most disliked ACC players -- should let his game do the talking and skip the egotistical displays
    Is there a stat for most 3-point shots allowed in the last minute of a game? We've had some but so far it's affected the point spread, not the outcome.
    May I introduce for consideration Caleb Love?

The slow motion of him jawing at a UVA player after Love blocked hit shot the other night was a perfect snapshot of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke102452 View Post
    State pressed full court the entire game and Proctor handled it tremendously, plus his defense was magnificent. He is my player of the game.
    Agreed. Proctor handled the pressure which enabled every one else to play well. State was physical and relentless towards him.

I concur with the comment that the announcers were pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by diveonthefloor View Post
    IMO, State's defense was the best that Duke has faced in Cameron this year. Shortened the shot clock on us. Created turns.
    They're good.
    you're right that they did shorten the shot clock, and Duke, Jeremy in particular, took/made a lot shots near the end of the shot clock violation, but i don't remember any actual shotclock violations. Maybe one?
    Overall we had 10 turns, which isn't bad and several were just just bad passes, 2 on fast breaks alone. I felt like State did a really good job of applying intense pressure and a lot of overplay, but i thought Roach and Proctor did a pretty good job of dealing with that. I don't rembember any strait up pick pocket steals, as opposed to stealing a pass. I thought we did a good job of using Flip and Lively as release valves to break State's press. Once Roach got by his man, he took it strait at Burns who wasn't very effective at stopping him.

I was unable to watch tonight but I’m damn proud of this team for coming together so well. The guards and Lively have come along and transformed the team. It took a while and a lot of tinkering with the roster but they seem to have found their way.

State lost because they got out coached. On offense they get a lot out of Burns, but on the defensive end he is easily exploitable with the screen and roll, which the team ran pretty well all night.
    There is a reason Jeremy was so effective tonight. Well, really two reasons: Burns in the middle and all their overplaying on the perimeter. Scheyer had planned for both.

Kind of felt good to be on the side that was exploiting the overplay for layups rather than being the ones getting exploited.

All-in-all, a good win.

This team has the tools and the smarts, and now the teamwork, to beat any team in the country. But they are going to go down in the tournament in the following way:
    1) Poor three-point shooting, AND
    2) interior foul trouble, on Lively and/ or Flip.
    I would hate to see a replay of the 2004 Uconn Final Four game, where this time it is Young getting abused on the block over and over again while two of our best and most skilled players watch from the sidelines, hoping and praying, but I feel like it is a real possibility.

Still, for tonight, I am pleased with the effort and the grit. That was a tough, physical, and emotionally charged game, and our guys gutted out the win despite our poor perimeter shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I felt like State did a really good job of applying intense pressure and a lot of overplay, but i thought Roach and Proctor did a pretty good job of dealing with that. I don't rembember any strait up pick pocket steals, as opposed to stealing a pass. I thought we did a good job of using Flip and Lively as release valves to break State's press. Once Roach got by his man, he took it strait at Burns who wasn't very effective at stopping him.
    Really great timeout by Scheyer with like 8:05 remaining in the game, we were about to get the TV timeout anyways but Jon decided it was worth burning a TO to get his team settled as State was really pressing and Proctor was having trouble getting the ball up the court. He had just committed a TO to give State a breakaway dunk and Jon sensed that our lead could evaporate. Just one of many small coaching moves that Jon has learned on the fly. For the remainder of the game we handled the press by making that forward pass to one of the bigs/wings.

Quote Originally Posted by diveonthefloor View Post
    They're good.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    State lost because they got out coached. On offense they get a lot out of Burns, but on the defensive end he is easily exploitable with the screen and roll, which the team ran pretty well all night.
    There is a reason Jeremy was so effective tonight. Well, really two reasons: Burns in the middle and all they’re overplaying on the perimeter. Scheyer had planned for both.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Really great timeout by Scheyer with like 8:05 remaining in the game, we were about to get the TV timeout anyways but Jon decided it was worth burning a TO to get his team settled as State was really pressing and Proctor was having trouble getting the ball up the court. He had just committed a TO to give State a breakaway dunk and Jon sensed that our lead could evaporate. Just one of many small coaching moves that Jon has learned on the fly. For the remainder of the game we handled the press by making that forward pass to one of the bigs/wings.
    None of which Antonelli noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I loved this timeout too. And, did that timeout also reset the 10 second backcourt clock? I think there were only 2 seconds left and we looked stuck in the backcourt. Really smart call.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah it definitely wasn’t a flop. And it was a totally reasonable tech for the reason you mentioned: Smith repeatedly shoved Proctor.
    I don't know if it showed on TV, but the ref handling the inbounds had just gestured to the two of them to knock it off. And Smith didn't - with perhaps a bit of goading by Tyrese.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by terrih View Post
    I loved this timeout too. And, did that timeout also reset the 10 second backcourt clock? I think there were only 2 seconds left and we looked stuck in the backcourt. Really smart call.
    Glad someone brought that up. I wasn't sure if the TO would reset the backcourt clock. I guess it does, as they took more than 2 seconds to get it across half court, and there was no whistle.

Yes, Scheyer is showing he's no slouch as an in-game coach.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    May I introduce for consideration Caleb Love?

The slow motion of him jawing at a UVA player after Love blocked hit shot the other night was a perfect snapshot of him.
    Yup. At best, Smith should be anyone on this board's 13th most hated player. #1-12 all wear a really ugly shade of blue.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Kudos have to go to Amile or whoever has been working with Lively. In the beginning of the year he could not secure a rebound in traffic. Yesterday he was getting tough rebound after tough rebound. Lively can now rebound, block shots and dunk. Once he develops some other offense- he will be a very good player. I was very critical of his play and has really worked hard to improve and the confidence is growing. Now Flip who is an elite rebounder needs to work on finishing at the hoop.