Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

WBB Transfer Portal 2023

Now that the regular season is over for most conferences (only the Big-12 has games left among the P5, Big East also done), and there are some days before we play, I thought it was time to start this thread. Players will soon be announcing in droves, and what's more fun than speculation?

Who might we get? We need bigs.

We are losing 3 of our 4 frontcourt players. Kennedy returning, and 6-3 freshman Shay will be better but is supposedly more of a stretch-4 and shooter.

We've already acquired Emsbo, who looks like a great addition but tore her ACL in October. Incoming recruit Delaney Thomas (ranked #29) is 6-2 but looks pretty thin, probably not ready for the college blocks.

Bottom line, there will be playing time available on an ascendant storied program under an ascendant coach. Kara should have her pick.

This is pure speculation, I have heard no rumblings and honestly don't pay close attention outside of DWBB, but top players want to win (and play) so I'm just going to throw these 3 out there. I'm sure there are more, but these 3 would have an immediate impact on any program.

Janiah Barker, 6-4, #3 in class of '22, I think we were in her top-3 final schools but she chose Texas A&M. Texas A&M is 7-19 (2-14 SEC), that can't be fun. And no help is on the way, their biggest incoming recruit is 5-11. Of course the portal works both ways , but who wants to transfer to a 7-19 team?

Aneesah Morrow, 6-1 sophomore, 25.6 PPG, 12.2 RPG. DePaul is 15-15 (8-11 Big East). Last year they made the NCAA Tournament but lost in the first round by 31 points. If she wants a meaningful postseason (or perhaps any at all in her last 2 years), she needs to get out of Chicago. Again no help is coming, they've got 1 incoming recruit, a 5-7 guard ranked #60.

Lauren Betts, 6-7, #1 in class of '22. She's getting less than 10 minutes at Stanford, and Cameron Brink will be back next year. She's also getting less time than sophomore frontcourt mates Iriafen and Demetre. Her coach is one of the all-time greats, but will be 70 in a few months and retirement has to be on the mind. Why not spend your next 3 years with a rising star coach at a peer academic institution?

With transcendant athletic wing Jadyn Donovan (and her top-5 recruiting class-mates) arriving to join our loaded backcourt, any of these would make us a top-10 team.

We need bigs! Come play with us!
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

6'3" Boston College sophomore center Maria Gakdeng is in the portal. 11.3 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 1.8 BPG, 57.8 FG%. Blocks and FG% are notable.

Thankfully Kara has other things to think about at the moment, but I'm sure somebody on the staff is keeping an eye on the portal. Even as we get more talented offensive players, I'm sure defense will still be a requirement of the players Kara looks for.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    6'3" Boston College sophomore center Maria Gakdeng is in the portal. 11.3 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 1.8 BPG, 57.8 FG%. Blocks and FG% are notable.

Thankfully Kara has other things to think about at the moment, but I'm sure somebody on the staff is keeping an eye on the portal. Even as we get more talented offensive players, I'm sure defense will still be a requirement of the players Kara looks for.
    Gakdeng would be a great pickup.

6-2 Alanna Micheaux of Minnesota is in the portal. 14.5 PPG, 8.0 RPG in 27.7 MPG. Though I'm always a bit leery of good players on bad teams, even in a strong conference. I'm sure Kara and her staff can evaluate if she would be a good fit better than me.

Also, 6-3 Destiny Adams is leaving uNC. About 4 PPG and RPG as a soph, but she was a McD A-A and ranked 20th in her class, scoring 30 PPG as a senior.

Still early. I think Kara will take her time to see who's available.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    6-2 Alanna Micheaux of Minnesota is in the portal. 14.5 PPG, 8.0 RPG in 27.7 MPG. Though I'm always a bit leery of good players on bad teams, even in a strong conference. I'm sure Kara and her staff can evaluate if she would be a good fit better than me.

Also, 6-3 Destiny Adams is leaving uNC. About 4 PPG and RPG as a soph, but she was a McD A-A and ranked 20th in her class, scoring 30 PPG as a senior.

Still early. I think Kara will take her time to see who's available.
    That's interesting. While she averaged only 4 PPG, she also averaged 17 MPG, so she saw the court plenty. I'm thinking maybe she's thinking she isn't as productive as she could be in a different coach's system? Or like the rest of us, she doesn't like Banghart.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Jordyn Oliver to transfer. I guess she wanted a starting role but it’s hard to give that to her when she can’t make a jumper.
    https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...-portal-report

That's a bummer.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That's interesting. While she averaged only 4 PPG, she also averaged 17 MPG, so she saw the court plenty. I'm thinking maybe she's thinking she isn't as productive as she could be in a different coach's system? Or like the rest of us, she doesn't like Banghart.
    Excellent!

Kennedy Todd-Williams, their 2nd leading scorer, has now entered as well. Wonder what's going on over there.

Excellent!

Kennedy Todd-Williams, their 2nd leading scorer, has now entered as well. Wonder what's going on over there.
    Wow.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Wow.
    Always eyebrow raising when a big contributor leaves. 32 MPG, decent three point shooter, and averaged just over 13 PPG. She played essentially the whole game in their loss against Ohio St, and scored 16.
    In her goodbye, she said that Carolina was her "dream school" since she was 10. Puzzling...but seeeeeya.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CqJKdsRv...e-85a0ed899c51

Oliver was honored as a senior on Senior Day and indicated in her senior video she was finished with her time at Duke. She is an academic senior with 2 years of eligibility yet (injury redshirt year and COVID year).
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Always eyebrow raising when a big contributor leaves. 32 MPG, decent three point shooter, and averaged just over 13 PPG. She played essentially the whole game in their loss against Ohio St, and scored 16.
    In her goodbye, she said that Carolina was her "dream school" since she was 10. Puzzling...but seeeeeya.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CqJKdsRv...e-85a0ed899c51
    Perhaps you were right, "dream school" but not "dream coach".

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Oliver was honored as a senior on Senior Day and indicated in her senior video she was finished with her time at Duke. She is an academic senior with 2 years of eligibility yet (injury redshirt year and COVID year).
    Duke undergrad degree and full master's wherever she ends up. Pretty good mileage out of her athletic abilities. I wish her the best. Some players don't live/love the game as much as others, wasn't there something mid-year where she said she didn't need to practice her shooting?

Excellent!

2nd leading scorer and arguably their best athlete. That's petty big news.

Here's a possibility: Iowa State 3-year starter, 2022 Big 12 DPOY Lexi Donarski. 6-0 guard, very steady 12-14 PPG over those 3 years.

Just need some accurate shooters that defend. DeJesus and Day Wilson are back ,but are too inconsistent at the point guard position. Need some better playmaking at the guard position.

This could take a while. I didn't realize players had 60 days from the end of the regular season to enter the portal. That's May 11. Seems excessive to me.

This could take a while. I didn't realize players had 60 days from the end of the regular season to enter the portal. That's May 11. Seems excessive to me.
    I see your point, but with the NCAA Finals the first week in April, and a lot of these women studying for finals in late April, I also see the point in giving them time to consider their options.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    I see your point, but with the NCAA Finals the first week in April, and a lot of these women studying for finals in late April, I also see the point in giving them time to consider their options.
    Just looked it up, they have within 48 hours of their last game to declare for the WNBA draft. Not laughing at you, laughing at the discrepancy.

Seems tough on coaches to me. What if they fill their roster, and on day 60 an Angel Reese enters the portal? It's a bit different from recruiting, because I assume coaches can't have contact with players on other teams without charges of tampering. So say player X is interested in playing for coach Z, they can't contact that coach to see if they're even wanted. If anyone has more info, I'd appreciate the education.

Here's USAToday's current list of the top 13 in the portal, some already taken, more surely to come.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/women...er-portal-2023

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Just need some accurate shooters that defend. DeJesus and Day Wilson are back ,but are too inconsistent at the point guard position. Need some better playmaking at the guard position.
    No, Day-Wilson is not back. She's transferring.