Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    So as a board we are all agreed - We root hard against this Alabama team going forward. Right?
    Not after all the tuition checks I sent them, no.

But I understand the sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    So as a board we are all agreed - We root hard against this Alabama team going forward. Right?
    We can't get consensus on ANYTHING on this board. I'll bet that curmudgeon ClemmonsDevil is still rooting for Bama...

If I was the coach of an athletic program at 'Bama, the very last thing I would want to do is to cheese off Lou Saban. I'm not expecting any public mea culpas out of Oats, but I'm willing to bet that once the tournament is over there will be some very private groveling going on there.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    If I was the coach of an athletic program at 'Bama, the very last thing I would want to do is to cheese off Lou Saban. I'm not expecting any public mea culpas out of Oats, but I'm willing to bet that once the tournament is over there will be some very private groveling going on there.
    I doubt Lou will have much of a reaction at all, actually. He's been dead for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I doubt Lou will have much of a reaction at all, actually. He's been dead for 15 years.
    File under things I didn't know until today: Nick Saban's middle name is Lou. Weird coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    File under things I didn't know until today: Nick Saban's middle name is Lou. Weird coincidence.
    Nick Saban's middle name is deceased? Wow. Interesting detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    We can't get consensus on ANYTHING on this board. I'll bet that curmudgeon ClemmonsDevil is still rooting for Bama...
    I don’t know if a guy who once made something like 18,000 FTs in a row could ever be considered a curmudgeon.

I think Nick is also laying down a marker for his players: other programs may tolerate this but do not expect me to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Cinder Block discussions are the best.
    I prefer Duke vs. Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Erp. Really, really showing my age there ... and my increasing loss of brain cells. Jeez.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Erp. Really, really showing my age there ... and my increasing loss of brain cells. Jeez.
    Age is just a number, 75Crazie. I'm not old, but I still have plenty of lost brain cell moments .

Here's an article about the player Saban suspended - driving 141 mph while fleeing the police, possession of marijuana with intent to sell or deliver and concealed firearm without a permit. This happened in Florida, not Tuscaloosa. He also had $7,000 in cash which isn't a crime but is interesting.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...141-mph-arrest

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think Nick is also laying down a marker for his players: other programs may tolerate this but do not expect me to do so.
    This is exactly how I heard it when I watched the video.

This should make some of us feel better.

According to ESPN Stats & Info, Brandon Miller’s 19.5 shooting percentage was the worst of any player to take at least 35 shot attempts in the tournament since 1985.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...db037041&ei=93
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    This should make some of us feel better.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...db037041&ei=93
    Have to admit that it does!

Oats will probably suspend him the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    Oats will probably suspend him the rest of the season.
    Probably for the rest of his Alabama career

Quote Originally Posted by LSanders View Post
    That’s a great title!

Upon reflection, here are some observations:

Tuscaloosa is a college town, larger than most (100,000) but still a college town. In the extensive investigation following the killing of Jamea Harris, the Tuscaloosa police uncovered information about those at the scene and got the murder weapon. To me, given that U. of Alabama students were involved (Darius Miles was charged), it is inconceivable to me that information was not shared with the university police as the investigation developed. Therefore, the presence of the scene of three Alabama basketball players should have been known shortly after the January 14-15 incident.

It is also inconceivable to me that U of A police chief John Hooks would not have shared the information on Alabama basketball players with both AD Greg Byrne and president Stuart Bell and probably also with HC Nate Oates. This would have occurred within a day or two of the shooting.

If the conjecture is true, the lack of action on the part of the University was intentional. (Oh, there was one almost laughable action -- removal of Darius Miles from the basketball team and erasure of all his information from the basketball web site.) This looks really bad in retrospect -- the fact that Nick Saban came out publicly is truly telling, given that he is probably the most powerful person at the University.

I agree with dudog84 that a 2-3 game suspension while the incident was being investigated would have been far better and satisfied most critics. (a) The University could have merely asked the police chief to conduct an investigation of player or student involvement in the death of Jamea Harris and suspended those suspected of being at the scene until more information was uncovered. (b) Given its inaction, the University should have at least had a plan to handle the Miller-miles incident if it became public. Surely any plan would NOT have had HC Nate Oates in front of a microphone. His clumsiness and self-interest were disastrous.

And now, Alabama lost. Thank goodness. There is not a shadow over the NCAA tournament from their participation in the Final Four.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013