Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Does it matter that the exchange of the gun was made in Miller’s car?
    Nope

Here is how stupid Nate Oats is…

Alabama‘s next two games are at South Carolina, arguably the worst team in the SEC, and hosting Arkansas, a middle of the pack conference team that doesn’t play very well on the road.

Think about how differently the story would be playing right now if Nate had come out today and said, “we are disappointed in Brandon and think he should show better judgment than this. While we know that no crime was committed our standards here at the University of Alabama are higher than that. Brandon will be internally punished and suspended for our next two basketball games.“

And, just for the sake of argument, let’s say they actually lose one of these next two games. Well, no one is going to count it as meaning anything because they were playing without Brandon Miller. In fact, by suspending him Nate Oates actually buys his team a convenient excuse if they happen to lay an egg in one of these games. Winning these games, against a pair of mediocre opponents, doesn’t enhance Alabama‘s résumé at all. A loss though would be damaging. If Nate Oates suspended his star player he would actually buy himself an excuse just in case something bad happens in the next couple games.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'd have to see the actual language of the Alabama statutes to venture an opinion on his criminal liability, if any. Based on many state's laws, he could have liability as an accomplice.

I think two things are very sad.

First, the Alabama coach's whitewashing of the murder. I think his comments were disgraceful and ignore the moral culpability of someone delivering a hand gun to some sort of beef.

Second, and more importantly, the need/desire for these young males to have handguns and deliver them/use them in a reckless manner.

I'm not trying to get into public policy/Second Amendment discussions here but all this is very troubling.

If the young man has no legal culpability and committed no crime, what are the higher standards that were violated? Wouldn't refusing to return the property he did not own be wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    If the young man has no legal culpability and committed no crime, what are the higher standards that were violated? Wouldn't refusing to return the property he did not own be wrong?
    So if you had possession of someone else's gun, and they said to you, "Hey, I need you to bring me back my gun right now in the parking lot," that wouldn't raise any red flags for you? You wouldn't even be curious about why now and why there? That strikes me as being intentionally obtuse.

And all of that is still consistent with a prosecutor thinking they don't have a chargeable offense they can prove in court.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    So if you had possession of someone else's gun, and they said to you, "Hey, I need you to bring me back my gun right now in the parking lot," that wouldn't raise any red flags for you? You wouldn't even be curious about why now and why there? That strikes me as being intentionally obtuse.

And all of that is still consistent with a prosecutor thinking they don't have a chargeable offense they can prove in court.
    At 1 a.m., too. Certainly would want him to testify as to exactly what was said.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    At 1 a.m., too. Certainly would want him to testify as to exactly what was said.
    I am sure that he was interviewed by detectives on what exactly was said, as were everyone else involved.
    Carolina delenda est

In a parking lot, in an area of bars, where crowds gather, late on a Saturday night.

Right. “Legally non culpable” is not the same standard as “did nothing wrong.” I won’t speak to the legal aspect as I have no idea about that. But given the circumstances, I can’t understand anyone honestly believing he made an appropriate decision.

This assumes a fact not in evidence, and seemingly contrary to evidence. The evidence I read (and you can read, too) strongly suggests that the gun was in the car, having been returned to the owner, before the incident began, possibly hours before the incident began.

Not only did he bring the gun (I don’t think Miller borrowing it, just delivered Miles’ gun) but he and the other player parked their cars in a way to block the victims’ car. That seems like an important detail.

https://sports.yahoo.com/alabamas-br...235307398.html

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    Not only did he bring the gun (I don’t think Miller borrowing it, just delivered Miles’ gun) but he and the other player parked their cars in a way to block the victims’ car. That seems like an important detail.

That certainly gets a lot closer to aiding and abetting or a similar offense. Not just wrong place, wrong time.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Pfyster View Post
    This assumes a fact not in evidence, and seemingly contrary to evidence. The evidence I read (and you can read, too) strongly suggests that the gun was in the car, having been returned to the owner, before the incident began, possibly hours before the incident began.
    Upon re-reading the testimony, I will correct my earlier post: one could infer that Miller drove back to the parking lot with the gun after the incident began.

Absolutely insane he isn’t suspended pending a full investigation into the matter. They don’t even pretend to care. Bama putting winning above all else. I suppose it’s the only time they will be a 1 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post

Wow. Every time I read more details about this situation it gets worse.

I also watched the video of Nate Oats’ explanation with the ESPN article. He mentions that he’s sure NBA scouts will ask about the situation, and they will have to explain it. As if that’s the most important issue. Just wow.

His response only confirms what many thought regarding the character of the Alabama's men's basketball coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I think you were responding to my post.

I'm not sure he does not have legal culpability. He may well have committed a crime.

That aside, it seems horribly irresponsible to bring a gun to someone under these circumstances. It doesn't take much common sense to figure that there was a risk of shooting and even death under these circumstances. I can think of many things that a responsible young man would have said under these circumstances. Bringing a gun wasn't a responsible choice.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    I dont know Alabama law, but I'm wondering if your firearm is used in the commission of a felony, is that a crime in the state of Alabama?
    Well, if Paolo got a charge for his car being used for a DUI, one would have to think this more serious situation would merit similar laws. But we all know that our legal system doesn’t always make sense.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

And we all thought that we didn’t like him when he pulled this when Coach K called for a break during Covid…. There are people of character, and people like Nate Oats.

“That’s a good question,” Oats answered. “Can I ask you something? Do you think if Coach K hadn’t lost the two nonconference games at home he’d still be saying that?”

The reporter, Christina Chambers of the Birmingham Fox affiliate, replied, “Probably not,” to which Oats, smiling, replied, “I just wanted you to say it, not me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Absolutely insane he isn’t suspended pending a full investigation into the matter. They don’t even pretend to care. Bama putting winning above all else. I suppose it’s the only time they will be a 1 seed.
    Played two days after the murder. Led the team in minutes (37). Clearly affected by the incident, he managed only 30 points.