Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Duke Women's Lacrosse 2023

Got tired of waiting for the women’s schedule release, so did a little research and came up with 14 (of 16) games. The remaining question marks are the weekends of 3/25 and 4/1, one of which will be taken up by Pitt and the other by Virginia Tech.

Fri 2/10 Navy
    Wed 2/15 @Davidson
    Sun 2/19 Gardner-Webb
    Sat 2/25 @ BC
    Tue 2/28 Liberty
    Sat 3/4 ND (neutral site in Charlotte)
    Sat 3/11 @ Clemson
    Tue 3/14 Yale
    Sat 3/18 Syracuse
    Wed 3/22 @ ECU
    Sat 3/25 ???
    Sat 4/1 ???
    Sat 4/8 @ Virginia
    Tue 4/11 High Point
    Sat 4/15 @ Louisville
    Thu 4/20 UNC

(Men's thread here: https://forums.dukebasketballreport...Men-s-Lacrosse )
    Last edited by -jk; 02-21-2023 at 10:01 AM. Reason: added link

The Duke SID staff reads this board. Ask and you shall receive, burnspbesq.

Link: https://goduke.com/news/2023/1/12/wo...-schedule.aspx

USLacrosse magazine profiles the preseason number 11 Duke women.

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/colle...-11-duke-women

Duke women open the 2023 season tomorrow against Navy at 2:00 p.m. at Koskinen. Game will be shown live on ACCNX.

GoDuke preview:

https://goduke.com/news/2023/2/9/wom...inst-navy.aspx

2023 Women's Season Preview

For Duke women’s lacrosse, the 2022 season was fantastic … until it wasn’t. In mid-April, the Blue Devils were 15-1 (the only loss to Syracuse by two at the Dome), ranked number five, and they had that thrilling one-goal win over Boston College as a big statement.

Then a bear fell on them. Three bad losses in their last four games (the regular season finale to North Carolina, the first round of the ACC Tournament to Notre Dame, and the second round of the NCAA Tournament to Maryland) left the season in tatters.

Going into 2023, the pundits and prognosticators are understandably skeptical: IL and USALacrosse Magazine both have the Blue Devils at number eleven. While I certainly understand that, if you squint a little you can see upside.

There is only one significant loss to graduation, but it’s a big one. Gone is attacker Cat Barry, the undisputed leader of the offense with 93 points and an uncanny ability to deliver at key moments. Also gone is 27-goal-scoring midfielder Abby Landry—but that’s about it. Pretty much every other major contributor returns, bolstered by Duke’s best recruiting class in years and some intriguing grad transfers.

It all starts with the Human Possession Advantage, Maddie Jenner. Barring injury or catastrophic loss of form, she will likely break the all-time NCAA record for career draw controls by early March. She also contributed 30 goals in 2022, including the game-winning alley-oop dunk against Boston College. Also returning on attack is 60-goal-scoring junior Katie DeSimone and the 35-goal-scoring duo of fifth-years Eva Greco and Anna Callahan. There is so much depth on attack that someone—perhaps senior Caroline DeBellis or outstanding incoming freshmen Eva Pronti (Rochester, NY/Victor) or Ava Biancardi (Northport, NY/St. Anthony’s) will likely move to midfield.

In midfield, it all starts with senior pre-season All-American Olivia Carner, whose breakout 2022 season featured 31 goals and 19 assists. She’ll be joined by junior Katie Keller (27 goals in 2022), and sophomores Mattie Shearer and Kerry Nease. Junior Maddie McCorkle and freshman Maddie Holden (Greenwich, CT/Greenwich Day) may also see time.

The defense is, simply put, loaded. Every defender who saw significant time in 2022 is back, led by pre-season All-American senior Cubby Biscardi. Add to that mix Duke’s top two incoming freshmen, IL number three recruit Madison Beale (Ellicott City, MD/St. Paul’s) and Sydney Smith (Mt. Airy, MD/McDonough). If it all comes together, it should make life relatively easy for fifth-year goaltender Sophia LeRose (or, if her injury woes persist, sophomore Kennedy Everson).

The ACC is, as usual, Murderer’s Row—but at least Duke gets Carolina and Cuse at home, and gets BC out of the way early (the conference opener on February 25). The pundits expect Duke to battle Notre Dame and Virginia for fourth place. Even the supposed bottom tier of the conference—Louisville, Virginia Tach, Pitt, and first-year program Clemson—offers no easy outs. The non-conference schedule, apparently designed to minimize midweek travel, is highlighted by Navy and Yale—but don’t sleep on Liberty, who gave Duke all it could handle in 2022.

Objectively, the pre-season rankings look about right. Subjectively, this team feels like it could return Duke to the top tier.

(Bonus points if you can correctly identify the movie and song references above).

I count 7 players on the roster with the name Maddie/Madison/Mattie. Better use last names or numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    2023 Women's Season Preview

Then a bear fell on them.

(Bonus points if you can correctly identify the movie and song references above).
    What is a line spoken by Sam Elliot in a Paul Thomas Anderson film based on a John Irving novel? (hoping not to have a note sent to my parents for coloring outside of the lines)

Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    What is a line spoken by Sam Elliot in a Paul Thomas Anderson film based on a John Irving novel? (hoping not to have a note sent to my parents for coloring outside of the lines)
    Not the one I was thinking of, but Sam Elliott was in the one I was thinking of, so you get partial credit.

Road House. "A Polar Bear Fell on Me" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzrL2FsbXfg

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Road House. "A Polar Bear Fell on Me" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzrL2FsbXfg
    Bojangle’s for our winner!

And here’s the song.

https://youtu.be/iCaJqGR-_38

Great minds think alike: that was I thought of immediately.

Duke with the early 2-0 lead. Schmalz on a FP and Jenner off an alley dodge.

Duke is rolling. Callahan with a goal and an assist (to Nease) to make it 4-0. Time out Navy with six to go in Q1.

5-2 Duke after one.

Duke defense is looking solid, and LeRose is sharp in net. 9-3 at the half.

If we are only going two mention one of the two teams playing, let's mention the opponents -- the thread title identifies "Duke."

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    If we are only going two mention one of the two teams playing, let's mention the opponents -- the thread title identifies "Duke."
    I think the assumption is that followers of the thread are cognizant of the game being played at the moment. Most posters do try to add those details if it was not shown in previous messages, but perhaps not always.

I would prefer to have separate 2023 Duke Men's Lacrosse and 2023 Duke Women's Lacrosse threads. That would eliminate at least some of the confusion. We have separate Men's / Women's threads for Basketball, Soccer and Baseball/Softball, so why not Lacrosse?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Must spread sporks.
    I think the assumption is that followers of the thread are cognizant of the game being played at the moment. Most posters do try to add those details if it was not shown in previous messages, but perhaps not always.
    I peek in time to time and I have no idea who Duke is playing. Glad to hear Duke is rolling against somebody, though.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

15-10 is your final. Duke took its foot off the gas a bit in Q4. Hat tricks for DeSimone and Jenner (plus 12 DCs). LeRose with nine saves.