RIP Tim McCarver

Not everyone's cup of tea but a good ballplayer and announcer, IMO. Good writeup:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...carver-dies-81

Sad to hear this.

Mel Allen, Tim McCarver, and Dave Niehaus were my Voices of Baseball growing up. They defined the sport, and (at least for me) made it really fun. Sorry to lose the last of those pillars.

Incredible announcer who got a bit cliche over time. I grew up a Yanks fan but my dad liked the Mets and McCarver was their guy during my youth so I heard his voice a lot. Really smart, thoughtful, loved the game, good sense of humor. I really enjoyed his book when it came out.

RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Incredible announcer who got a bit cliche over time. I grew up a Yanks fan but my dad liked the Mets and McCarver was their guy during my youth so I heard his voice a lot. Really smart, thoughtful, loved the game, good sense of humor. I really enjoyed his book when it came out.

RIP.
    Agree. Loved him in the Mets booth.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

RIP.
    I too was a Yankees fan growing up (and still am). And I was, and still am, also a Red Sox fan. But that’s beside the point.

I’m here for Tim McCarver. In my mind, during my childhood, he was absolutely synonymous with the World Series and important playoff games. I loved his announcing style. Just hearing that voice brings me back in time. I felt that if Tim McCarver said something baseball-related it was gospel. I can’t tell you how much I miss hearing him call big playoff games.

RIP, my friend. You were one of the greatest.

I'm another Yankees fan who became a St. Louis transplant, so I cover both the Yanks and Cardinals. I grew up listening to Mel Allen and Red Barber, and later Jack Buck.

There were a lot of people in St. Louis who didn't like McCarver's broadcasting, but I'm not one of them. He was one of the few who call a game who will make a point that wouldn't have occurred to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    He was one of the few who call a game who will make a point that wouldn't have occurred to me.
    Exactly. McCarver was insightful, entertaining, and interesting. I just really liked the way he called a game. He was easily my favorite baseball commentator.

I posted this on the baseball thread, so mods please remove my post there if you like.

McCarver played for the Cards, Phillies, Expos and Red Sox. He was a major leaguer for 21 years and played in 4 decades. He was the personal catcher for Bob Gibson and Steve Carlton. He once said, when I leave this world, they should bury me 60'-6" from him (Carlton). As others have said, he was a terrific announcer. He teamed with Ralph Kinner and Fran Healy to make the Mets broadcasting team one of the best in baseball. He was 81 years old.

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Mel Allen, Tim McCarver, and Dave Niehaus were my Voices of Baseball growing up. They defined the sport, and (at least for me) made it really fun. Sorry to lose the last of those pillars.
    I remember thinking -when Vincent Price ran the post-last-game tribute for Coach K- darn, he sure looks like Tim McCarver...

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I'm another Yankees fan who became a St. Louis transplant, so I cover both the Yanks and Cardinals. I grew up listening to Mel Allen and Red Barber, and later Jack Buck.

There were a lot of people in St. Louis who didn't like McCarver's broadcasting, but I'm not one of them. He was one of the few who call a game who will make a point that wouldn't have occurred to me.
    I think the issue that many fans (and not just in St. Louis) had with McCarver as a broadcaster is that while has was incredibly knowledgeable and capable of great insight, he spent far too much time dishing out commentary that was painfully obvious to even casual baseball fans. "Over talking" was a frequent - and valid IMHO - criticism.