Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Oh, I was just riffing on The Graduate from the question.
    Oops. Now I get it. Stupid me.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Oops. Now I get it. Stupid me.
    No, unclear reference on my part. My mind makes leaps that sane minds rightfully decline.

Quote Originally Posted by VA_BDevil View Post
    I attended a 5th Dimension concert last night (how's that for showing my age!). The concert was OK - only one original member is in the version of the group currently performing, and she admitted that she's 81 and a great-grandmother. The other 4 weren't spring chickens either.

Anyway, they gave a shout-out to Burt Bacharach when they sang One Less Bell to Answer, and this was (I believe) before his death was announced. They played several songs that were hits recorded by others, including at least one other Bacharach song (Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head).

According to the Washington Post, he composed over 70 top 40 hits (although I saw slightly different numbers elsewhere). That's pretty incredible.
    Hard to imagine the fifth dimension without Marilyn McCoo.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    1959. They were born within a few months of my dad, except they represented Queens, and my dad was raised out in Brooklyn.
    Someone's doin it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Someone's doin it well.
    Sorry - can't spork you. But well done.

I'll say a little prayer for Mr Bacharach.

I don't see a point in being embarrassed about enjoying songs that Burt Bacharach wrote. If you think about classic style of American song writing, he's certainly up there with Gershwin and Berlin. You could say... he's close to them.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post

I don't see a point in being embarrassed about enjoying songs that Burt Bacharach wrote. If you think about classic style of American song writing, he's certainly up there with Gershwin and Berlin. You could say... he's close to them.
    Or at least, he longs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post

Yep, back in the my Duke days I had every Dionne Warwick album with all the Hal David/Burt Bacharach songs. Back when the orchestration didn’t over power the lyrics. Everyone who liked that music knew the words. As a part time musician, I played many a Bacharach song on the piano or organ in restaurants, wedding receptions and bars, including the old Durham City Club in the Jack Tar Hotel.