Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    I’ll be glad when Larranaga retires and will wish him well. But he has been a thorn in or backside. He is good, decent, and deserving of being inducted int the HOF.
    Yeah, Larranaga seems like a great coach and guy who seems to have Duke's number.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    He's a veritable baby as old coaches go. Boeheim and Coach K were both into their second decade as head coaches when Scheyer was born .
    That is just crazy pants.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    I’ll be glad when Larranaga retires and will wish him well. But he has been a thorn in or backside. He is good, decent, and deserving of being inducted int the HOF.
    Larranaga. Boeheim. Hamilton.

3 aging legends left in the ACC. 73, 78, and 74 years old, respectively.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

Really 4 if you count Kehei Clark.

Larranaga's son Jay is a prominent NBA assistant (now with the Clippers, previously with the Celtics) and just turned 48.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Really 4 if you count Kehei Clark.
    Matches wins DBR today
    Last edited by flyingdutchdevil; 02-07-2023 at 11:04 AM.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Good thing the NCAAT isn't played on the road... oh wait.
    Indeed, good thing... Thank god for neutral sites!

Matches wins DBR today
    I sporked Matches because I thought that was a brilliant comment. And it feels like Clark has been around forever. Though to be fair, Grandison is almost two years older than Clark...

Peeved? Yes! But the sky isn't falling... yet

Remember what a great coach once said, "You're never as good as everyone tells you when you win, and you're never as bad as they say when you lose." Some very good, ranked teams have been blown out in the past month. Some Final Four Duke teams have been blown out in ugly fashion. This team has been trending up. Yes, it was ugly. Yes, it was terrible. Looking forward to seeing how they respond Saturday.

I’ve tried to put this game in context. Quick turnaround, coming off of an emotional high, young team.. It’s not really the loss that bothers me, although I surely thought we had a decent shot at it before the game. If I had to pick one thing that I just don’t understand it’s the carelessness with the ball. - both in passing it & holding onto it. You can’t win games like that. We still may have lost, but would have had a fighting chance. I’m not foreign to having been in basketball games where you’re mentally & physically spent (not at this level of course), so I do have an understanding of the overall competitive situation. I’m sure that Coach is feeling this way as well. Just a head scratcher.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I sporked Matches because I thought that was a brilliant comment. And it feels like Clark has been around forever. Though to be fair, Grandison is almost two years older than Clark...
    If Duke makes it to the Final Four this year, Grandison will be 25 years old...

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    beaeting UNC felt good, it always does...but UNC isn't that good...and right now, neither are we. we're now 2-7 in "A" games.

Conversely, we're undefeated in all other games...which to me says this is not an effort issue. we are beating the teams we are supposed to beat based on our quality. We're just not that good.

We have 2 more A games, 3 more B games, and 2 "nothing" games.
    We simply cannot win on the road vs a top 100 team but luckily the ACCT and NCAAT aren't played on the road and instead at neutral sites where there will be plenty of Duke fans.

I thought we played well at neutral site games earlier this year beating Iowa, Ohio St, Xavier and playing Kansas down to the wire.

We need to pull the plug on Jaylen Blakes, he's just not good enough to see court time vs high level competition. His vision is poor and his shot is broken.

A lineup with Blakes, Young and Lively has no spacing.

We need Whitehead taking all those minutes as soon as he's able to if we want to peak at the right time.

Lordy. The whiplash of hot takes has been intense over the last 48 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I am thinking we should pull the plug on the whole team and start open tryouts today. I heard a kid in Pegram can really shoot from distance.

Would impress even Stephen A.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I am thinking we should pull the plug on the whole team and start open tryouts today. I heard a kid in Pegram can really shoot from distance.
    I'm old and have two bad knees, but I'm pretty sure I have eligibility left. Once upon a time I could hit threes at a pretty good clip. I wouldn't be opposed to a 6 figure NIL deal.

I'm old and have two bad knees, but I'm pretty sure I have eligibility left. Once upon a time I could hit threes at a pretty good clip. I wouldn't be opposed to a 6 figure NIL deal.
    You are in. I am sure we can get you an NIL deal with Advil.

You are in. I am sure we can get you an NIL deal with Advil.
    Sweet. I just saved $120 on a jersey!

Odd that you post this after the Miami loss and not after the UNC, Wake and GT win. I see growth but this is a very young “team.” The Dawkins, Alarie, Bilas team took a couple of years to figure things out as a unit. The issue is that this team will not have enough time.
    Well if I posted it after a win, it would be pretty strange. I wouldn’t want to bring the vibe down. I feel like after a loss, we’re all somewhat on the same page.

Yeah, it used to be fun watching a team grow and develop over the course of 3-4 years. We don’t have that luxury anymore with the current landscape of CBB. Perhaps a team of 21 year old Flip/Lively/Proctor would run the table. We won’t ever know, though. I’m not saying the players are hopeless, nor are they talentless, but this iteration of the team hasn’t meshed well and they’re not doing a great job of patching their holes.

Summing it up

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Oh boy.

OFFENSE

Possessions: 68.3 (a tad faster than our usual game)
    oRtg: 0.86 (0.90 adjusted; just plain awful; equivalent of the #358 offense in the country; our 3rd straight lousy offensive performance)
    eFG%: 45.4% (poor)
    3pt%: 26.3% (bad)
    2pt%: 48.6% (a lot better than it looked)
    %threes: 35.2% (fine)
    FT rate: 24.1% (meh)
    OR%: 35.3% (good for most teams but below average for Duke)
    TO%: 30.8% (horrifying; our worst butterfingers performance of the season)
    a/to: 0.76:1 (3rd straight game under 0.95:1)
    %assisted: 72.7% (we didn't score much, but when we did it was off an assist)
    fast break pts: 7 (11.9% of points; meh)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 1.19 (1.04 adjusted; lousy; equivalent of the #157 defense in the country)
    eFG%: 53.0% (yuck; 4th-worst opposing eFG of the season)
    3pt%: 41.2% (terrible)
    2pt%: 50.0% (bad)
    %threes: 25.4% (good)
    FT rate: 16.4% (excellent)
    DR%: 54.4% (mind-boggling; our worst defensive rebounding performance against probably the shortest team in the ACC)
    TO%: 17.6% (not bad (though not good, either))
    a/to: 1.75:1 (2nd straight game over 1.7)
    %assisted: 65.6%
    stl%: 10.3% (pretty good)
    blk%: 12.0% (2pt shots) (good)
    fast break pts: 17 (21.0% of points; horrible)

Our defense sucked, most notably our opposing eFG and our defensive rebounding. Our offense sucked to the tenth power. Though the only truly offensive part of our offense was the turnovers.
    Brilliant, succinct summary, Kedsy!
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion