Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    This performance was on the kids not the head coach. He was clearly disappointed in his pressor. He tried a lot of things to get the team on track during the game, but nothing worked. He even used Young and Lively together, used zone and played Shutt more minutes. The 3 players who start that have the ball in their hands; Proctor 5 turnovers, Roach 5 turnovers, Flip 3 turnovers and Blakes off the bench 3 turnovers. That's 16 of the 21 turnovers the team had. We were out rebounded by a team shorter than we are. They out-quicked us and made us look lazy. Well, many of the passes were lazy. Miami is a good team. Jim Sumner in an article on his site, said Miami might be the best team in the league. If they played every game like they did last night, I agree with him. The team has a lot to work on this week to get ready for The Hoos. I'm anxious to see how this young team responds.

GoDuke!

Oh, blaming this game on the refs sounds a lot like Hubert.
    Yea saw someone else blame coach. Not sure there was anything else he could do. There have been a couple games this year, and this was one of them, where early on I questioned where the offense was going to come from.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Yea saw someone else blame coach. Not sure there was anything else he could do. There have been a couple games this year, and this was one of them, where early on I questioned where the offense was going to come from.
    They all win together and they lose together. Responsibility and accountability are fully shared.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Yeah, I was afraid of this outcome, and you could see it miles away. Its still a young team thats never figured out how to win on the road consistently, especially against a team like Miami. Add in the other factors like schedule and 1st game after UNC and this is the result. I don't know what more there is to take away from this other than this is something Scheyer has to figure out. Duke's worst losses have been on the road, and only one was a neutral site game.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Also it never ceases to amaze me how after every loss fans will complain about OAD’s. Nobody had a problem with recruiting elite freshmen when Lively was handing Bacot his lunch or Flip started the year with three double doubles. But when we lose it’s automatically because of OAD.
    They use to be called freshmen. That became sophomore's. You could watch their progressions and regressions during the year and look for what the future would look hopefully look like. A beatdown like last night was offset by the performance Saturday night. That's not the case anymore. They are gone after a year, ready (Saturday) or not (last night). And then we start all over again next October with another group of freshmen. Last night was about men against boys. A lot of our boys become men in the G-league. Coach K used to talk about human nature. Our boys weren't ready for the quick turnaround game either mentally or physically. Miami had a road game Saturday. Against the league leader. They looked pretty darn ready last night.

this team does not have an alpha....glimpses, but none has emerged....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    This performance was on the kids not the head coach. He was clearly disappointed in his pressor. He tried a lot of things to get the team on track during the game, but nothing worked. He even used Young and Lively together, used zone and played Shutt more minutes. The 3 players who start that have the ball in their hands; Proctor 5 turnovers, Roach 5 turnovers, Flip 3 turnovers and Blakes off the bench 3 turnovers. That's 16 of the 21 turnovers the team had. We were out rebounded by a team shorter than we are. They out-quicked us and made us look lazy. Well, many of the passes were lazy. Miami is a good team. Jim Sumner in an article on his site, said Miami might be the best team in the league. If they played every game like they did last night, I agree with him. The team has a lot to work on this week to get ready for The Hoos. I'm anxious to see how this young team responds.

GoDuke!

Oh, blaming this game on the refs sounds a lot like Hubert.
    He should have pulled the entire team of starters after Miami's mini-run at the beginning of the second half. see how the subs perform and take it from there. The effort was unacceptable.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

beaeting UNC felt good, it always does...but UNC isn't that good....and right now, neither are we. we're now 2-7 in "A" games.

Conversely, we're undefeated in all other games...which to me says this is not an effort issue. we are beating the teams we are supposed to beat based on our quality. We're just not that good.

We have 2 more A games, 3 more B games, and 2 "nothing" games.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    He reclassified for a reason. The decision has already been made. Even if he projects 2nd round, he’s gone.
    Inference or inside information?

As has been mentioned, this team has a ton of variance...which doesn't bode well for an NCAA tournament run. At this point, I can't see us making it past the first weekend.

Tune it out

The young team simply hasn't figured out how to tune out the crowd and is really impacted by it. I think the road woes have far more to do with confidence in a hostile environment than anything else. They get rattled, lose the ball, lose their man on D and miss shots they shouldn't. I'm not sure how Coach fixes that. Maybe it is just something that they have to come together and fix themselves as a team.

I saw on twitter that this is the first year since 1982-3 that Duke lost multiple ACC games by 20 points. It's quite the juxtaposition to football season. The gridiron Devils were within a score in every game, for the first time in forever. Even Cut's best teams got blown out once or twice a year.

The juxtaposition continues with games played at Miami. The football team destroyed Miami 45-21 in a game defined by turnovers. Pretty much the mirror image of last night.

oof

Guess I should thank my boss for organizing a business dinner last night. Ouch...

A lot of us predicted a loss. Miami at home + Miami's better guards + Miami revenge game + post-UNC emotional letdown + better coach (this one isn't debatable right now nor a slight to Scheyer. Larranaga has coached for nearly 40 years. Scheyer is less than a year into his first coaching gig) = a likely loss. But sounds like this was sooooooo much worse.

Lively continued to play great and played 26 minutes! Love it.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

It's all my fault. I gently mocked Miami's D in the pre-game thread, and during the unc game I mentioned to my lovely bride that Tyrese looks unflappable out there. Well, Miami's D pants'ed Duke, and Tyrese certainly looked flapped. It's all on me.

It's really hard to win when your guards play that poorly. Dereck and Ryan were the only players that played well. Flip, Jacob, and Schutt played ok. Mark's D was sort of meh, and he disappeared on the boards. The guards, well, the less said, the better.

The only thing this game showed me was that Duke's ability to lay a big, stinky egg is not in the rearview mirror. I still think this is a good team, with the potential to be great. I am very interested to see how the team performs on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    The young team simply hasn't figured out how to tune out the crowd and is really impacted by it. I think the road woes have far more to do with confidence in a hostile environment than anything else. They get rattled, lose the ball, lose their man on D and miss shots they shouldn't. I'm not sure how Coach fixes that. Maybe it is just something that they have to come together and fix themselves as a team.
    Not a good problem to have heading to UVa Saturday. The capacity of the John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville is 14,593. That’s a big arena. I expect a sellout or close to it and for it to be loud.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Guess I should thank my boss for organizing a business dinner last night. Ouch...

A lot of us predicted a loss. Miami at home + Miami's better guards + Miami revenge game + post-UNC emotional letdown + better coach (this one isn't debatable right now nor a slight to Scheyer. Larranaga has coached for nearly 40 years. Scheyer is less than a year into his first coaching gig) = a likely loss. But sounds like this was sooooooo much worse.

Lively continued to play great and played 26 minutes! Love it.
    The announcer said that Larranaga was in his second year as a coach when Jon was born.

One positive: This makes Carolina losing to Duke look even worse lol

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I am not saying we are FF calibre or anything, but we did beat Miami this year, and not that long ago. We are bad on the road, largely. A season can’t be judged until the last game is played.
    Good thing the NCAAT isn't played on the road... oh wait.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Is that your bar? Sorry, but this seems so entitled...

I think it's obvious that this team has been no lock to make the FF or E8 since December. Sure, they can and I'm positive will make the tournament. And once they do, anything can happen. But realistically if this team can make the 2nd weekend, it will be a major accomplishment given the coaching change, the lack of returning players and the injuries. I personally will count this as a very successful season if they do.

9F
    To be fair only 4-8 teams can be!

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    The announcer said that Larranaga was in his second year as a coach when Jon was born.
    I’ll be glad when Larranaga retires and will wish him well. But he has been a thorn in or backside. He is good, decent, and deserving of being inducted int the HOF.

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    He's a veritable baby as old coaches go. Boeheim and Coach K were both into their second decade as head coaches when Scheyer was born .