Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    ??? Did you not think Lively is better than he was at the beginning of the season? Do you see no improvement in Proctor? This was a bad loss after an emotional win with little time to prepare. No idea what team you have been watching.
    I would love to know if Coach read them the riot act at halftime or after the game. I’m betting no. He appears to be as soft on the team as they played tonight.

Well we know they will fold in at least one more game- that is a given
    I don’t know what you mean by that. UVA will be favored Saturday. UNC is likely going to be favored but that’s kind of a guess at this point. So far we’re undefeated at home and aside from unc and uva our toughest road game is Syracuse. Is it against the orangemen that you’re counting on the “fold”? They will be a tough out, I give you that. What about NC State? The way they’ve been playing this season, there won’t be shame in that, even at home.

Or are you counting on us losing to one of FSU, Louisville, or VTech at home?

Also it never ceases to amaze me how after every loss fans will complain about OAD’s. Nobody had a problem with recruiting elite freshmen when Lively was handing Bacot his lunch or Flip started the year with three double doubles. But when we lose it’s automatically because of OAD.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I don’t know what you mean by that. UVA will be favored Saturday. UNC is likely going to be favored but that’s kind of a guess at this point. So far we’re undefeated at home and aside from unc our toughest road game is Syracuse. Is it against the orangemen that you’re counting on the “fold”? They will be a tough out, I give you that. What about NC State? The way they’ve been playing this season, there won’t be shame in that, even at home.
    NC State will fold in one more game - on Feb 19

First Half Chronicle.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...er-isaiah-wong.
    Forgot thankfully Duke started 1 to Miami's 13.

NC State will fold in one more game - on Feb 19
    Gotcha. Yes, I feel that as well. But then again, they’ve largely beaten expectations this season. Recent history does suggest they will lose all of their skills on Feb 19 and send the lame blue uni’s to the ft line 50 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophile View Post
    I would love to know if Coach read them the riot act at halftime or after the game. I’m betting no. He appears to be as soft on the team as they played tonight.
    I am pretty sure the team was frustrated by their performance - not sure why a coach needs to point it out. The team needs to regroup. This game is over. I recall Scheyer’s team getting killed his junior year by Clemson - and lost 2 of the next 3- one of which was being crushed by UNC at Cameron. I guess K reading them the riot act had no effect.

He’s the one guy I have my hopes up being back next year (maybe naive). Everyone else I’m certain are gone (except Blakes) that are currently in the rotation.
    Why are you certain that Proctor is gone? Sure, there is a chance Proctor leaves, even though he isn’t listed on any mock draft. But, certain?

My name

Well I'm here (Its Over) after a few requests it seems. While we have had these types of games before in championship years, this one hurt. Although I did find one site (maybe not so popular site from members of this board) that projected us losing by 22 (pretty darn close), http://parsedsports.com, a favorite of mine, did call this one pretty close. So I kind of expected a blow out.
    Hoping we can learn from this and maybe write this one off to the short turnaround, missing Whitehead, and facing a great team. Hats off to Miami for a great game. Next play! Go duke!

Quote Originally Posted by DCDevil9194 View Post
    Why are you certain that Proctor is gone? Sure, there is a chance Proctor leaves, even though he isn’t listed on any mock draft. But, certain?
    He reclassified for a reason. The decision has already been made. Even if he projects 2nd round, he’s gone.

But you saw no growth in the players.
    Not particularly, no. There are good games and bad games, of course. UNC was a good game, but not indicative of progression over time. Using a single data point to extrapolate progress over an entire season doesn’t make much sense.

I do like that the players are settling into their roles better, but that’s about the only silver lining I can find as far as advancement since the start of the season.

I'm not really gonna pile on.

We've seen growth in this team. We've seen regressions in this team.

There are games where Scheyer seems like a savant. Others he seems like a relative "freshman".

I can calibrate it all. I'm ok with it. It's frustrating, but on balance, this the year I guess I sort of expected post K.

We could make a run. Or we could lose instantly in the first round. I think the team is good but it's high variance and Scheyer hasn't put it together yet. We have potential but man are we all over. The key cogs are there. I'm gonna hold out hope but nights like tonight are tough to watch.

- Chillin

Oh boy.

OFFENSE

Possessions: 68.3 (a tad faster than our usual game)
    oRtg: 0.86 (0.90 adjusted; just plain awful; equivalent of the #358 offense in the country; our 3rd straight lousy offensive performance)
    eFG%: 45.4% (poor)
    3pt%: 26.3% (bad)
    2pt%: 48.6% (a lot better than it looked)
    %threes: 35.2% (fine)
    FT rate: 24.1% (meh)
    OR%: 35.3% (good for most teams but below average for Duke)
    TO%: 30.8% (horrifying; our worst butterfingers performance of the season)
    a/to: 0.76:1 (3rd straight game under 0.95:1)
    %assisted: 72.7% (we didn't score much, but when we did it was off an assist)
    fast break pts: 7 (11.9% of points; meh)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 1.19 (1.04 adjusted; lousy; equivalent of the #157 defense in the country)
    eFG%: 53.0% (yuck; 4th-worst opposing eFG of the season)
    3pt%: 41.2% (terrible)
    2pt%: 50.0% (bad)
    %threes: 25.4% (good)
    FT rate: 16.4% (excellent)
    DR%: 54.4% (mind-boggling; our worst defensive rebounding performance against probably the shortest team in the ACC)
    TO%: 17.6% (not bad (though not good, either))
    a/to: 1.75:1 (2nd straight game over 1.7)
    %assisted: 65.6%
    stl%: 10.3% (pretty good)
    blk%: 12.0% (2pt shots) (good)
    fast break pts: 17 (21.0% of points; horrible)

Our defense sucked, most notably our opposing eFG and our defensive rebounding. Our offense sucked to the tenth power. Though the only truly offensive part of our offense was the turnovers.

Well said Kedsy ! It will be a quiet flight to RDU. They have time to watch film practice. They all should do some soul searching. UVA will be a daunting challenge
    Last edited by heyman25; 02-07-2023 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Spelling

He reclassified for a reason. The decision has already been made. Even if he projects 2nd round, he’s gone.
    He reclassed after Trevor left for the draft on the last possible day and we had no guards

Quote Originally Posted by Hancock 4 Duke View Post
    Not particularly, no. There are good games and bad games, of course. UNC was a good game, but not indicative of progression over time. Using a single data point to extrapolate progress over an entire season doesn’t make much sense.

I do like that the players are settling into their roles better, but that’s about the only silver lining I can find as far as advancement since the start of the season.
    Odd that you post this after the Miami loss and not after the UNC, Wake and GT win. I see growth but this is a very young “team.” The Dawkins, Alarie, Bilas team took a couple of years to figure things out as a unit. The issue is that this team will not have enough time.

??? Did you not think Lively is better than he was at the beginning of the season? Do you see no improvement in Proctor? This was a bad loss after an emotional win with little time to prepare. No idea what team you have been watching.
    Lively has definitely gotten better, and we haven't seen the best of him yet. Miami was just way more physical last night. They took it to us. I'd be interested to read your perspective regarding Proctor. His shooting definitely hasn't improved and he's still turning the ball over quite a bit. Just my observations.

Quote Originally Posted by WVDUKEFAN View Post
    Lively has definitely gotten better, and we haven't seen the best of him yet. Miami was just way more physical last night. They took it to us. I'd be interested to read your perspective regarding Proctor. His shooting definitely hasn't improved and he's still turning the ball over quite a bit. Just my observations.
    Proctor's shooting definitely HAS improved. He's shooting 34.3% from 3 over his last 16 games after shooting 15.6% over his first 8 games.

He's settled in to being an adequate 3pt shooter after being an absolute train wreck from 3 to start his career.

This performance was on the kids not the head coach. He was clearly disappointed in his pressor. He tried a lot of things to get the team on track during the game, but nothing worked. He even used Young and Lively together, used zone and played Shutt more minutes. The 3 players who start that have the ball in their hands; Proctor 5 turnovers, Roach 5 turnovers, Flip 3 turnovers and Blakes off the bench 3 turnovers. That's 16 of the 21 turnovers the team had. We were out rebounded by a team shorter than we are. They out-quicked us and made us look lazy. Well, many of the passes were lazy. Miami is a good team. Jim Sumner in an article on his site, said Miami might be the best team in the league. If they played every game like they did last night, I agree with him. The team has a lot to work on this week to get ready for The Hoos. I'm anxious to see how this young team responds.

GoDuke!

Oh, blaming this game on the refs sounds a lot like Hubert.

As Emmitt Smith would say, we got debacled.

An unfortunate case of deja vu as we had already seen this game in Raleigh a few weeks ago - knocked back early, but found footing at had a chance to cut the lead to a mid/high single digit but couldn't capitalize, and then it all slipped away from there. Add in losing the crucial last four minutes of the first half and first four of the second and it was over early. I had certainly expected some emotional let down from Saturday, playing on the road against a good team, but not a complete collapse where we weren't even competitive for most of the game. Might as well been wearing Georgia Tech jerseys.

That said, I disagree with the posters who say the team has not improved; in my opinion the players and team have improved both individually and collectively. The ceiling has been raised. But where I will agree is that the floor has not come up along with it, as this teams is obviously still capable of complete duds. I think part of the reason is that this team doesn't have a "rock" - a dependable guy who steadies the ship who can be counted on to get a bucket when needed. I had hoped it would be Roach but he resorts to inefficient and ineffective hero ball too often. Often for our younger teams in the past that steadying influence has been Coach K. Don't get me wrong, he took his share of beatings as well so not throwing shade at Scheyer for last night, but K was a mythic figure to kids who grew up with him always occupying rarified air, so he could say outrageous things like "we are winning this game" when down 29 at Louisville and the team believed him. Scheyer does not have the same relationship with the players nor the same track record, so he has to find other ways of providing stability when the wheels are coming off. He's learning too, so I think while we can certainly rise to the occasion and play with the best teams in the country, we remain vulnerable to anyone since we have a hard time turning the tide in bad games.