Thread: ACC Tournament

ACC Tournament

Because ACC headquarters are moving to Charlotte I'm assuming this may be the last time the tournament will be held in Greensboro. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but nonetheless, I've always wanted to see the tournament in its traditional home so I'm looking at this as my last chance.

I originally wanted to go to the whole thing but some work issues have popped up and I think Thursday is the first I could make it. The Greensboro Coliseum website appears to be only selling complete package tickets. If I bought those could I resell the Tuesday, Wednesday ones? Should I just wait until Wednesday and buy tickets for the rest of the week? Any thoughts? I'm thinking of taking a chance and waiting to scarf up tickets from losing fanbases.

I just started going to the ACC tournament the last few years, starting with 2019. I too am nostalgic for it being in Greensboro (with the championship on Sunday afternoon) with those lime green courts, BUT my experience in Charlotte was one of the best times of my life. I think it's kind of fun having it in different cities as well. Do we know if they still plan to do that moving forward, or will it all be in Charlotte?

Anyway, to actually answer your question, it's pretty affordable to just go on Stubhub the day of the game and get tickets. In 2019, Stubhub had this really cool place they set up across the street from the stadium where you could go get your tickets. Now, they're all just digital transfers. Unless you're the kind of person that would want to hang around and keep watching the tournament if Duke loses early on, I would just buy them online game by game. I may only go this year if it looks like Duke and UNC may collide, so maybe I'll see you there. It would be my first time in Greensboro.

IMHO (where the H got stomped by Zion in the 2019 ACCs), the tournament location is determined by economics, not the location of HQ.

Greensboro's history with hosting the tournament can be attributed to the foresight of the city fathers, who saw there was a need to move the ACCs away fron Reynolds, NC State's home court. So they built the Coliseum and became home to the Big Four tournament, while it lasted, and often the ACCs. G'bo is not home to one of the Big Four schools, which was an advantage in attracting the ACCs.

I believe Greensboro will continue to get its share of tournaments. I am surprised to see that only the 2024 tourney is set (DC).

Quote Originally Posted by lmb View Post
    I originally wanted to go to the whole thing but some work issues have popped up and I think Thursday is the first I could make it. The Greensboro Coliseum website appears to be only selling complete package tickets. If I bought those could I resell the Tuesday, Wednesday ones? Should I just wait until Wednesday and buy tickets for the rest of the week? Any thoughts? I'm thinking of taking a chance and waiting to scarf up tickets from losing fanbases.
    I've been able to go to the ACC Finals in Brooklyn when Duke made it (2017, 2022) and bought tickets on StubHub the day before the game relatively inexpensively without any problem.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Much thanks to everyone for your input. It sounds like waiting is the best and cheapest strategy. I hope it works out for us to go and I have the chance to cheer on the Devils!

Do scalpers sell outside the arena anymore? And is it hard to buy from losing teams since they’re electronic?

You may see some scalpers with physical tickets, but I think the game is really all StubHub these days. In 2002, my dad took my brother and I to Cameron to try to get into the game against North Carolina. A lovely couple walked up to us and sold us 2 tickets for face value (which was $25 a piece) for my brother and I to get in the game. My dad then ran into someone from his freshman dorm and was given floor seats under the basket for free. Let's just say things have changed, even though that was still pretty miraculous at the time.